Mini Howa Build: open bolt face for 6 BRA

I really like the idea of mini actions for running the BR/Grendel size cartridges. With all the fuss over shaving weight off hunting rifles this should be a more viable option. I bought a CZ 527 in Grendel a little while back that I’m eager to get going. It would be really cool if a custom micro action was produced with a changeable bolt head. Have prefit barrels and run anything from 223 to wssm.

Jbuck

FNG
I always thought a nice coat of Cerakote would cover those tooling marks and make it slide like glass but I've never been that motivated to improve it as it works ok as is and I have no desire to breakdown the rifles.

Jay
I'll find out soon enough. My kids action is in getting cerakoted now.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most actions will smooth up. Wipe bolt/action dry then sit in front of your TV and work it for a while. Clean and lube after, and they usually will break in.
This one had massive speed bumps, it would have taken a very long time. I chose the shortcut, hahaha. From here, I will cycle it to smooth it out too.

TaperPin

WKR
I like your little gun so much I’ve been on the lookout for a 6br or 6bra of some kind - in two days two different barrels popped up for a Rem 700 so I grabbed the 6br with a 1:8 twist - if it shoots good it might get refitted to a Howa mini. It will be fun to play around with it if nothing else.

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
@hereinaz Awesome build!
What is the freebore of the barrel?
Any issues with the stock mags feeding the bra brass?

thanks for your help!

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Standard BRA, I guess, lol. I didn’t ask for anything specific from my buddy.

I opened up the lips so the bullet was higher to present to the bolt to strip out. And I shortened the lips so that the lips released the bullet sooner since it is fatter.

I can run the mags no problem, but I am limited on OAL. I run the 95s.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got a new 22BR prefit from Preferred Barrels on the way. They did this in 22 BR on request even though it is not offered in the drop down options. My mini is opened up to standard bolt face.

Excited to get this barrel for it too, have the .223 heavies waiting for me!!!6A0C081E-B27A-489D-90DE-DE5F0937F5BA.png

Really, all the cool new .223 cal bullets tempted me, so no good reason, lol.

I have been doing the switch barrel for years when I first started with Savage rifles. Those I now run on my Nucleus actions.
if you find any good loads with 88 eldms or 90 bergers you should post them up. hard to find good info on heavies in 22br it seems.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if you find any good loads with 88 eldms or 90 bergers you should post them up. hard to find good info on heavies in 22br it seems.
I have had a hard time finding the info myself, lol. I'll do that.