Help with possible first western hunt

Bcon

FNG
Just saw this post, and it looks like you have tons of good info already. I will tell you what I did, not saying it was right for everyone, but it was for me. The first experience was with my dad on a cow hunt. I was lucky to have a friend that had a connection to a landowner who let us on for a late season trespass fee. It was a good way to see that I wanted to do more. I had already been putting in for points in Wyoming (I chose solely because I knew I could drive there / hunt / drive back in the amount of time I could get off.) For a couple of years I applied on my own, poured over information and would reach out to various outfitters (I chose to do a guided hunt, not for everyone, but it was the right call for me), and they all basically said wait until you get more points or let us know when you draw...I was frustrated and by the time I got 10 points I was really struggling with what to do. I know it cost more money, but I chose to go through a consultant. We spent several hours over a few calls discussing what I was after, my budget, time-frame, points etc... and he made a couple of recommendations. I called those folks and picked the one I felt best about. Long story short, I had a great hunt, was provided with what I was promised, a hard working guide that would do his best to get me on a good bull, that is what I ended up with, and I could not be happier with how it turned out. I believe now that I will be able to go back again (when I draw) and be much more self-sufficient than I was the first time.
I spend quite a bit of time hunting everything from deer to pheasants and turkeys, but the "unknown" aspect kind of freaked me out and having someone to help me through the process the first time was well worth it. I also know that my next goal is to do this much more on my own.
Again, this approach is not for everyone, but it was what worked for me.

Axlrod

WKR
A lot of good advice so far. The best is "just go".
Don't get too bound up on "trail heads" there are lots of other access points like creeks, closed roads, dead end roads, and ravines next to a road. Steep is good- elk love it and unsuccessful elk hunters don't.

Elk stay alive by having security. Steep thick timber on north facing slopes is where they hang when not feeding.
Glassing potential feeding areas (think open parks with knee-high yellow grass) at dawn and dusk is a very good way to find them, either pre-season or during the season. Spending lots of time in your binos is way more productive than wandering around hoping to bump into an elk.

Elk hunting is hard, if it wasn't, everybody would be doing it!

Have fun, and good luck!