Help with possible first western hunt

kybowmang

FNG
Not for me, but for what you are describing there are many draw/application services out there that can walk you through the process and even do some of the leg work for you for a very small fee. Would at least get you started and they could tailor an application strategy based on what you are looking for in a hunt.
Totally agree with this. It’ll give you a starting point, which would help you decide on guided or do it yourself.

Several years ago my cousin from Indiana wanted to go. We had ten people going but only two hunting. Had horses, trailers, and a camp cook. A family trip.

I was the only one to go. They all cancelled two months before. It was daunting going across the country to the unknown all alone and no mentor. And it was bar far the best decision I’ve ever made. Wish I would’ve done it when I was 25 instead of in my 40s. It is the thing that keeps me motivated to work out all year. I do everything I can to get to the mountains every year now. And I have new firsts every time. And that first year I never saw an elk but couldn’t wait to come back (especially after finding 7 bugling bulls after dark surrounding me the last day of the season ).

So, best advice… just do it and don’t look back. Be humble, enjoy the adventure, meet some incredible people along the way, and just go!

Also, even if you’re in shape enough to be able to do navy seal training all year you still will get your ass kicked by the mountain. Guaranteed. Get in better shape. Oh, and get a satellite device to send messages back home as if you have a significant other they are more likely to not complain about you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch DIY hunts on Youtube.
Listen to podcasts.
Read the regs, then read them again.
Read wildlife studies on deer/elk in general, habitat, and migration patterns.
Use OnX and Google Earth, a lot.

^Make notes on all of this

Ruck your ass off. Start with a light pack and scale up from there.
If you think you're in shape, you're probably not.
Scout pre-season if you can.
Nothing more important than getting boots on the ground.

DIY can be daunting for anyone, no matter where you live. Fully commit, spend time researching and to prepare your mind + body.

If you don't want to / can't do all that, look into paying an outfitter a shitload of $$$

imo DIY is gonna result in a better learning experience overall regardless of hunt success. Plus it's fun.

Can you elaborate on the motivation part? Maybe you underestimate how daunting this all is for someone so far away, since you live in CO? I'm certainly a motivated hunter, just figuring out where to go in general and how to do it legally has always been the difficult part.
I understand, the initial learning curve of individual state laws, draws, etc. is steep. My advice: get a GoHunt Insider membership and read every "Application Strategy" for all of the states and species that interest you. You can do a general hunt in Montana next year if you buy a preference point now and next spring at the time of application. You will have 100% odds of drawing either elk or mule deer and you can select any general unit that appeals to you. Pick this on what type of hunt you want... weapon, timing, weather, topography, etc. Moving forward, get some CO preference points. These are available in the spring. You should be able to draw some decent opportunity hunts with 1-2 preference points.

Western big game requires a lot of planning and investment for future opportunity. Happy to help if you have more specific questions.

HTNFSH

FNG
Just a little advice from my past experiences.
1. E-scouting is priority 1
2. Online maps are two-dimensional; don't let 3D algorithms fool you. It's 3x-10x harder to climb up and down than what it shows online.
3. See rule 2. Road and trail access. Western mountain roads are no joke, with little to no room for passing. I'm still pulling leather out from my backside from a couple of close calls last year. A spotter would have made a big difference.
4. Nothing beats boots on the ground, enjoying yourself, and having a positive attitude.
5. Get out of your comfort zone and walk the mountains, solo if need be.
5. Find your limits and proceed with some caution. I was solo and found great elk sign miles from camp in the thickest, nastiest blow down I've ever seen. I didn't want to risk impaling myself and being dead tired just to kill an elk. I did learn the area and now have a better exit strategy.
6. Fitness doesn't make it easier, only that you can go longer.

Last edited:

Dex818

FNG
Is archery hunting cow elk a good way to start out of state elk hunting? Just thought I’d build off of OP’s original question.

Kurts86

WKR
Until you have bought the tag, committed to going regardless of whether or not anyone else is coming along and pulled out of the driveway going west are just another basic eastern hunter dreaming of out west. Really no different from the guy sitting across from me on the airport parking shuttle telling me how he wants to go out west someday when he sees my backpack and pelican rifle case.

IMO elk hunting is one of the worst species for a first western hunt, deer or pronghorn are better species to wade into western hunting. Elk hunting is low success hunting and even seeing and hearing elk in a first DIY trip can be difficult.

OTC elk is about to be a thing of the past for nonresidents. It’s very hard scrabble hunting that takes a multi year commitment for success in most cases and is often less economical than a private land guided elk hunt one time on a per elk killed basis.

Do or do not. There is no try.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Until you have bought the tag, committed to going regardless of whether or not anyone else is coming along and pulled out of the driveway going west are just another basic eastern hunter dreaming of out west. Really no different from the guy sitting across from me on the airport parking shuttle telling me how he wants to go out west someday when he sees my backpack and pelican rifle case.

IMO elk hunting is one of the worst species for a first western hunt, deer or pronghorn are better species to wade into western hunting. Elk hunting is low success hunting and even seeing and hearing elk in a first DIY trip can be difficult.

OTC elk is about to be a thing of the past for nonresidents. It’s very hard scrabble hunting that takes a multi year commitment for success in most cases and is often less economical than a private land guided elk hunt one time on a per elk killed basis.

Do or do not. There is no try.
So where can I hunt mule deer with a rifle over the counter?

Kurts86

WKR
So where can I hunt mule deer with a rifle over the counter?
Deer tags are draw at this point but tons go as 0 points, 2nd choice or return tags. 1st and 2nd rifle CO deer tags are quite easy to come by dispute being “draw.”

I don’t understand why it matters if a tag is draw or OTC. It just requires some prior planning. Tons of “draw” tags can be had annually and this will be the future moving forward for elk past this year.

Lot of good advice so far.

If you're humping through WV hollers during whitetail season, you're about 70% ready. The only thing you can't replicate is elevation, which will sneak up on you. The difference between WV and 9,500'+ will slow things down considerably, just plan for it if you intend to go high.

Ask yourself what you want out of your hunt. Pick a species, pick a state, pick a region or GMU, e-scout and mark a few different areas, then get that tag in your pocket. Pack your bags and jump on I-64/I-70/I-90 and just do it.

You might get lucky, you might eat that tag. Either way, you're going to get tested daily because you are in a new environment, out of your element, and will have to think on your feet. That kind of challenge brings out the best and worst in people, but it's all up to the individual.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Deer tags are draw at this point but tons go as 0 points, 2nd choice or return tags. 1st and 2nd rifle CO deer tags are quite easy to come by dispute being “draw.”

I don’t understand why it matters if a tag is draw or OTC. It just requires some prior planning. Tons of “draw” tags can be had annually and this will be the future moving forward for elk past this year.
Looks like I'm too late for that this year. You think I have a chance at getting one next year?

Kurts86

WKR
Looks like I'm too late for that this year. You think I have a chance at getting one next year?
Colorado publishes a point out report of every tag issued by year and draw results by points and choice. There you will find the answers.

It seems like you really need to dive into the research aspect of western hunting. There is nothing left for tags in July beyond OTC elk and random tag returns anywhere in the west. November-May is the planning and application season for western tags.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Colorado publishes a point out report of every tag issued by year and draw results by points and choice. There you will find the answers.

It seems like you really need to dive into the research aspect of western hunting. There is nothing left for tags in July beyond OTC elk and random tag returns anywhere in the west. November-May is the planning and application season for western tags.
Thanks. Guess I'll try to apply for some stuff next year. It's so weird, I've probably watched thousands of hunts, read as many articles, and as of more recent years listened to quite a few podcasts all about western hunting. Then you read an article about how to apply or whatever and they make it seem impossible to draw anything. That's why I never tried. But you guys make it seem so easy now. Maybe it's got easier over the years. Of course I was always more hesitant to spend the money when I was just starting out, but now that's not as much of an issue.

Thanks. Guess I'll try to apply for some stuff next year. It's so weird, I've probably watched thousands of hunts, read as many articles, and as of more recent years listened to quite a few podcasts all about western hunting. Then you read an article about how to apply or whatever and they make it seem impossible to draw anything. That's why I never tried. But you guys make it seem so easy now. Maybe it's got easier over the years. Of course I was always more hesitant to spend the money when I was just starting out, but now that's not as much of an issue.
It’s gotten harder to draw tags, but we have more access to data and information now than ever before.

@Undrgrndprdcts
It's very daunting. Figuring out the system is overwhelming. The mountains are HUGE way bigger than they look on a map, you can't fathom it until you are standing on one and wondering what the hell you were thinking.

My advice: Buy an OTC 2nd Rifle tag in CO this year. GO DO IT!! You won't regret it. Pick a unit that is at least half Huge mountains. Plan a 5 day hunt and GO DO IT!! Plan to kill an elk, but do not expect to kill an elk. There is only so much knowledge you can get on the computer, this forum, podcasts, etc. Get to the woods!! It's painful and frustrating, it's also glorious and addicting. You are buying a tag, dropping bags on gear and travel for the experience. CO OTC is NOT a great Elk Experience, but it is experience, and experience is invaluable. You can't kill an elk until you fail to kill an elk. (yes, there are exceptions)

This is from an Okie who hunted deer for the last 15 years, I'd been to the mountains plenty, but never to hunt. I never could get away from little league football, family, kids to make an elk hunt happen. Until I just did it in 2022 at the young age of 38. Decided to do it 3 weeks before season. Bought OTC 2nd rifle tags and went and hunted. Never even saw a Bull Elk (did have shots at cows multiple days, but no cow tag). Now I'm in all the way. I'm going to CO for the 3rd year in a row, and Montana in November, and have Idaho booked for next fall.

2022: 5 days OTC 2nd Rifle in CO
2023: 7 days Archery in CO
2024: 10 days archery scheduled in CO, and 7 days Rifle scheduled in Montana (taking my 14 year old with me on the MT trip!)
2025: Booked Archery in Idaho, plus likely CO rifle.

Just GO DO IT! Do it this year!!

PM me if you decide to do it. I'll at least give ya some advice on picking a unit. Then just pick a mountain road and find a spot to camp halfway up it, from there its all failure and learning....

Donjuan

WKR
If you want to go this fall, go otc in Colorado.

I'd get on x and then you get access to toprut.
There you can look at harvest data and the number of hunters. You can also look at maps then on on x.

You might find a unit has high success but then find its mostly private land.

Maybe fly out this summer and go fishing a little since you get that privilege with your license and scout the area. The elk won't be in the same spots now as in October but focus on hidey holes, water and food.

I'd do the elk collective and elk101 online courses and look up podcasts like remi Warren, elkshape and elktalk

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
If you want to go this fall, go otc in Colorado.

I'd get on x and then you get access to toprut.
There you can look at harvest data and the number of hunters. You can also look at maps then on on x.

You might find a unit has high success but then find its mostly private land.

Maybe fly out this summer and go fishing a little since you get that privilege with your license and scout the area. The elk won't be in the same spots now as in October but focus on hidey holes, water and food.

I'd do the elk collective and elk101 online courses and look up podcasts like remi Warren, elkshape and elktalk
I already have onx elite, use it a lot for all the eastern states where I hunt public. Been scouring it every day while looking at units. My buddy and I already decided we are going. Just trying to pick a unit now.

OP, pick a unit that still has OTC and then go for a camping trip in July or August or even September and lay eyes on it. Speaking from experience, nothing opens your eyes and clears out the cobwebs of confusion like putting your boots on the ground and seeing things with your own eyes. The draw systems are all easy once you break the ice. Just go, do some fishing, do some skiing, drive around all the OTC units on your list and look at them. If you go in September you can probably talk to other hunters out there and pickup some nuggets. You don't have to have a tag to go.