Help with possible first western hunt

Can you elaborate on the motivation part? Maybe you underestimate how daunting this all is for someone so far away, since you live in CO? I'm certainly a motivated hunter, just figuring out where to go in general and how to do it legally has always been the difficult part.
My suggestion was made precisely because it is daunting. 90% or more of hunters starting out in your position are unsuccessful year after year. They spend thousands of dollars year after year with a minimal chance of success on OTC hunts. That's a statistical reality. Everyone watching YouTube gets excited and thinks they're going to be the exception to the rule, but 90% or more aren't.
If you are ok with being unsuccessful to the tune of thousands of dollars for 3-5 years in a row to learn the game, then go for it. If you want to be efficient with your time and money, book a private land hunt. My experience with OTC Colorado is that it takes a minimum of 2 years worth of at least 10 days in the field during season to start to figure elk out. Coming from clear across the country, that's quite expensive for you. Add to that the steepness of the learning curve, and OTC hunting becomes a nice donation to CPW.
Figuring out applications is literally the easiest part. There's heaven knows how many hours of free info in addition to paid application services. If that is proving difficult, figuring out the behavior of an elk herd in unfamiliar and extremely rugged terrain on a hunt where pressure is extremely high and most of the elk end up on the private property I'm suggesting you pay to hunt is going to be an impossible waste of time and money.
My advice to anyone in your position is one of two options:
  1. Book a hunt on private land
  2. Draw a decent tag (3-5 years minimum to draw) and hire a guide
It's a genuine push in a direction that will maximize your dollars and time away from home.

manitou1

WKR
Can you elaborate on the motivation part? Maybe you underestimate how daunting this all is for someone so far away, since you live in CO? I'm certainly a motivated hunter, just figuring out where to go in general and how to do it legally has always been the difficult part.
Many of us started from "back East".
We researched, got on the game and fish websites, and then went.
You will have to put in some work on your own.

Many years ago I did it... alone without mentoring.

I now live "out West" and still have to spend weeks studying and strategizing to plan hunting.

It is not like hunting back East whereas you go to Wal Mart, buy a tag and drive a mile down the road on opening day to sit in a stand.

Weldor

WKR
Although there are times that would not be bad. Tags down here are getting as rare as hen's teeth.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
The process of hunting out west for midwesterners or those of us east of the Mississippi can be intimidating. With that being said, there are so many resources available now that weren’t even around or mainstream 10 years ago when I first started researching western hunting.

It certainly sounds like you’ve given a great deal of thought and are physically prepared. The next step is just to go. It is easy to get trapped in the habit of paralysis by analysis when researching where and when to go. I definitely fell into that trap when I started going west. I finally had a conversation with an old timer that made me commit and go. He said, “ Just go, you’re likely not going to be successful but you will never if you don’t go. “ All these units have huntable game populations. Sure, some have better than others , but they all have game. Unless you have a stockpile of points, most units are going to be somewhat similar in regards to game population, hunter pressure, and offer similar experiences.

There is no easy button or cheat code. You can research for days on end and the terrain will still look completely different than you imagine, the mountains taller and hunters will show up where you thought you found a honey hole all to yourself. It takes hard work and experience. Just pick a state, unit and species and go. Go once and see if the landscape matches your hunting style. If it does, great. Learn it and see where game are and why they are there. Are they there because of weather, human pressure, etc. Bank that experience and build on it next year. This is how you learn an area and success will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
Guess i'd follow that up with - pick a unit with ample amounts of public land (easy to find). It's a personal preference but i like the idea that i can get to the elk if i work hard enough to find them.... i cant stand when elk sit on the private land and i can sit there and just watch them play all day. Cool for the elk, and i love seeing elk, but i can go to RMNP if i wanna do that, and probably have closer encounters to boot.
And a long way from private land... pay no attention to the published elk or hunter estimates, or success rates. That is all irrelevant and highly inaccurate. Some OTC units have tons of elk, but they are mostly on big private ranches during the season. Since there is no mandatory reporting, success rates are total WAGs.

Example - my unit has one of the lowest archery success rates in the state, historically. It is mostly public land that's tough to hunt, but no big private sanctuaries, so the elk cycle around. Then one year the published success rate inexplicably jumped from 7-8% to 23%. My game warder friend told me he was baffled, since he never checked a single elk in a camp that archery season. But services like Hunt-wrecking Fool and others picked up on that and publicized it as a "sleeper". The next year it was overrun. Then people figured out the truth, and it has now settled back down a little.

Do what Gerbdog suggests, get a USFS map and the Motor Vehicle Use Map, pick an area, and go learn. Or do a guided ranch hunt and have a better chance to kill something, but you'll gain very little knowledge of how to hunt public land (I used to guide on a big ranch).

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
And a long way from private land... pay no attention to the published elk or hunter estimates, or success rates. That is all irrelevant and highly inaccurate. Some OTC units have tons of elk, but they are mostly on big private ranches during the season. Since there is no mandatory reporting, success rates are total WAGs.

Example - my unit has one of the lowest archery success rates in the state, historically. It is mostly public land that's tough to hunt, but no big private sanctuaries, so the elk cycle around. Then one year the published success rate inexplicably jumped from 7-8% to 23%. My game warder friend told me he was baffled, since he never checked a single elk in a camp that archery season. But services like Hunt-wrecking Fool and others picked up on that and publicized it as a "sleeper". The next year it was overrun. Then people figured out the truth, and it has now settled back down a little.

Do what Gerbdog suggests, get a USFS map and the Motor Vehicle Use Map, pick an area, and go learn. Or do a guided ranch hunt and have a better chance to kill something, but you'll gain very little knowledge of how to hunt public land (I used to guide on a big ranch).
Thank you for posting an actual useful response. I have no desire to pay someone just to shoot something and put it on the wall. I'm a public land mountain hunter through and through, the mountains around here are just smaller than out there. I'd rather learn and grow as a hunter and know that when I do have success I earned it. I just needed an idea of how to start all this.

Mcseal

FNG
There are many data sources available on the web to help you decide on a unit. My best advise is that once you decide on a unit you also take a summer scouting trip to learn the area. The scouting trip is more about crossing areas off of the map than it is about finding the exact location you will start your hunt.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Start with a vacation out west for a week. Pick a state and drive/fly out for a week and head up into the mountains and hike and fish and get a feel for the western mountains. Stop by the areas fish and game office and start asking questions. I think its good to have a real world idea of what it's like out there so you wont be as overwhelmed showing up to hunt the first time. Even if you end up hunting a different area or state, you'll still have a better idea of what you are in for. September is a fabulous time to be out west even if you're not hunting.

The best advice anyone can give you is to JUST DO IT! If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love it. If you HAVE to kill something to enjoy yourself, don't bother going. Real life is definitely different than what's seen in videos. Life is passing by too fast for not doing trips you want to do.

If you can get any over the counter tags, do so and go. Use the trip for a learning trip and adjust what you do from there. If you are gonna wait for a draw tag, go out for camping/hiking trips till you draw. You'll be able to find out what works best for how you travel and gear you'll want.

Pick a state and go! Don't overthink it.

bradyhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Undrgrndprdcts said:
POSSIBLE First Western Hunt

I'd rather learn and grow as a hunter...

Sounds like you're not committed. If you want to do it, set a date and go.

All the information is easily accessible. The regs for every state are online. YouTubeers break down the process for you in videos. There are services/apps/websites that's simplify data and application process for you. Cut back in the aspirational junk and start educating yourself.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
@406huntermt anything helpful to add to the conversation (other than crying emojis)?

As an update, since it seems that otc CO really is as easy as just buying the license and heading out, my buddy and I are looking into going this year before they eliminate the otc tags like people are talking about.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Can you guys explain what the truck camping/base camp situation looks like? I've read through tons of old threads and they all just say "park at the trail head, make base camp at your truck, then start walking and looking". What does this trail head area look like? Are there signs? I suspect finding where all the other trucks are parked is one way. But my question is how will I know where is a good place to park and set up camp then continue on foot? Remember I've never been west so I have no idea what a trail head looks like.

Gerbdog

WKR
Can you guys explain what the truck camping/base camp situation looks like? I've read through tons of old threads and they all just say "park at the trail head, make base camp at your truck, then start walking and looking". What does this trail head area look like? Are there signs? I suspect finding where all the other trucks are parked is one way. But my question is how will I know where is a good place to park and set up camp then continue on foot? Remember I've never been west so I have no idea what a trail head looks like.
I'd park where there arent trucks and start looking - less pressure - once you pick an area - call a ranger office in the area to learn what the camping restrictions are on the national forest / BLM land there is - most will allow you to disperse camp so you wont have an issue. Since its your first time i'd camp at the truck every night - allows you to move and stay mobile - packing in dedicates you to an area for a couple of days and if there arent elk in there when you get in there.... well that sucks.

This depends a lot on the area. Some will be main trailheads with formal parking areas, maps, signs, etc. Some will just be a turnaround where the road ends. During OTC rifle, all of them will look like a major parking lot. Some people will camp in their vehicles at trailheads, some set up separate camps elsewhere.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
It would and does look like any adequate space whereas you can park an automobile, setup a comfortable camp, and then walk from there. It doesn't necessarily have to be something developed by an agency or bureaucracy, or by a private enterprise.
The only reason I asked is because I don't want to be somewhere I'm not supposed to be. I assume onx will tell me if I'm trespassing as far as that goes.

If you'd like to pay me to plan your hunt with all my extra free time being a father of 3 and working full time as a veterinarian, I'm happy to offer you my services. $2k for the plan. $3k including vacuum sealed meals.

In all seriousness, you will have to do some leg work and research. I've had to do so for all of my DIY hunts out west, including the first time. It's work, but if you enjoy hunting, then you won't consider it work. That's part of the fun!

Killed or been part of a kill each time. Read the regs, buy some points for the future (or don't with CO OTC), research the selected unit using Google Earth and OnX and select spots A-Z. Get out there 2-3 days prior to the season to get your lungs acclimated and start crossing Plans A-Z off according to pressure, access, terrain sign etc.

If you really want to do it, you'll make time to research it and come up with a plan. Split some of the research duty up with your hunting buddy and go hunt!

There's only one way to eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

bz_711

WKR
@406huntermt anything helpful to add to the conversation (other than crying emojis)?

As an update, since it seems that otc CO really is as easy as just buying the license and heading out, my buddy and I are looking into going this year before they eliminate the otc tags like people are talking about.
Heck yeah...archery or rifle OTC?

Couple questions come to mind reading this:
-Do you know anyone that has hunted elk out west? Anyone that has tagged an elk? If yes - they are your best source of trustworthy info.
-Are you set on archery or rifle? I only have archery experience so that's all I can help with
-Do you have a preference on the type of terrain for the hunt? That starts to help you pick state/location.
-Do you or your buddy have any boot on ground experience in an area you can hunt...such as a prior summer vacation...IMO it helps a lot to already have some familiarity with an area/roads/towns/resources/etc.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Heck yeah...archery or rifle OTC?

Couple questions come to mind reading this:
-Do you know anyone that has hunted elk out west? Anyone that has tagged an elk? If yes - they are your best source of trustworthy info.
-Are you set on archery or rifle? I only have archery experience so that's all I can help with
-Do you have a preference on the type of terrain for the hunt? That starts to help you pick state/location.
-Do you or your buddy have any boot on ground experience in an area you can hunt...such as a prior summer vacation...IMO it helps a lot to already have some familiarity with an area/roads/towns/resources/etc.
1. My buddy actually has a few friends that go to a ranch type property that one of them owns out there with some private land I guess. He's going to talk to one of them tomorrow to try to see if we can get in on that. It's in the NW region that was affected by the kill off though, just barely. I'm really hoping that works out to ease us into it, but you know how these things go.
2. Rifle
3. I'd like something that isn't like too steep/cliff like where you can fall and die. Would prefer the more stereotypical rolling hills with open spots and pockets of timber type stuff.
4. No.

bz_711

WKR
You are on the right track. 100% if you have any chance to get on private in NW CO - that is your best bet for first hunt. Good Luck!