Help with a new rig

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
I hit the jack pot last night at a local gun raffle......won two guns and an $1,800 gun safe. The two guns are worth $1,200 in credit and I would like to put together a nice lightweight mountain rifle for around $1,500 total. Gun would be used for big game, out to 500yds and I really enjoy backpack style hunting. I'm no gun expert mostly a bow hunter so go easy on the tech talk. This is what I've been thinking about.

Tikka T3 lite SS in a 300 win mag and a Meopta meopro 4-14x44. No idea what kind of rings and bases to buy or any upgrades to this rig.

If anyone has any other ideas on the rifle, scope, bases or rings please chime in.

handwerk

WKR
Wow jackpot yes, have you shot a lwt 300 wm before? I'd first make sure you'll enjoy it otherwise I'd think about a different caliber in the T3, perhaps the boring old 30'06. Another thought would be a kimber montana 84L, in 06', 270 or 280 AI. I'm a fan of talley 1 pcs mounts holding whatever scope looks good to your eyes. Enjoy the process of putting together your rifle......

Trr15

WKR
Congrats! Time to buy a lottery ticket too...The T3 with meopta scope sounds like a solid set up. I'm a fan of 1 piece Mounts as well. I have the DNZ gamereaper mount on my t3 and Am happy with it. As far as other upgrades, I'd definitely recommend a limbsaver recoil pad for that .300 wm.

danarnold

WKR
I totally agree with above posts, I have the T3 in 300 and have only bench shot it, kicks like a mule3, I shoot 7mag and 338mag pretty regular and still dont love the 300 yet.I still need that recoil pad too

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That sounds like a solid setup--.270 or 30-06 would be a much better plan for a casuals shooter. You don't need a magnum for anything in the lower 48.

I have the tikka t3 in 300wsm. It does kick like crazy but Ive settled on 150 gr bullets going super fast and really isn't that bad.Get the limbsaver Butt bad as that will help as well. I really like my Talley ultralight weight rings.

I would go with a Tikka T3 SuperLite in .308 topped with Talley lightweights and a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS. Light, short, low recoil, and effective to 500 on anything in the lower 48

Total cost of $1300, depending on where your shopping.

Last edited:
I would agree with people stating a magnum isn't neccessary for that 500 yard mark. All the Tikkas are built on long actions so I would probably opt for yhec30-06 vs the 308

wapitibob

WKR
Stick with the 300 WM and put a break on it.
It'll also help keep your scope together if you go "economy" which you'll be doing at $1500 total cost.
To stay lighter I would do Leupold PRW 2 pc bases and PRW rings. Spend the money on a lapping bar and lap them lightly no matter what scope you put on it, or have someone that knows what they're doing, do it for you.

That was my rationale for picking up a tikka superlite in 30-06. I out talley lightweights on it, but the DNZ game reapers are nice too. Your scope choice sounds good. I would choose the DNZ for the 300 mag if you choose that. Anyhow, now you just gotta pick the caliber!

GKPrice

Banned
I think I agree with backcountryMT most in this case - T3 SUPERLIGHT in EITHER the 30/06 or 308 since they're both exactly the same weight and dimensions plus you won't have too much difference in performance between them since they are also both 22" barrels - as for the "kicks like a mule" sentiment about any T3 goes, they ALL come with a rock hard rubber pad so it is not the "RECOIL" but the "PERCEIVED RECOIL" that is talked about and although recoil is recoil to the shooter if one just puts a Limbsaver on a T3 as a matter of practice the results of perceived recoil would be much more varied IMO - Talley lightweight ring/base combo are really well made as are the DNZ Game Reaper one piece - with the Tikka "tubular design" action I doubt there will be much rigidity to be gained with a one pc over the 2 pc, personal preference matters as much and both of them are very lightweight - IME, you don't need to expend a whole lot of effort to break in a Tikka barrel as their hammer forged barrels are among the smoothest to be found - Also, I have not seen a bunch of difference in CM vs. SS (I've seen several SS T3's rust when I didn't "think" they should have) CERAKOTE is probably a better option AND you get color/pattern options galore - I also think the factory synthetic stocks are adequate, many don't like them but the aftermarket options are spendy and functional results have been varied from what I've read or heard (be sure to seat the recoil lug right when you put the action/stock back together ! I've purchased 2 pre-owned that came to me not reassembled in the stocks right) All in all, the Tikka T3 seems to me to be an outstanding bang for the buck (no pun intended)

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The T3 is a very solid choice. Another option is the Savage lightweight hunter. I have one in 260 rem with a leupold vx3 2.5-8x33 with the cds reticle. This setup cost me right at $1500 and it weighs 6lbs 10oz loaded. Its not the most accurate bench rifle I own but I killed my deer with it this year at 290 yards so its more than capable. Hope this helps!
5055bb04a8969b3aad9d31304b1a1ec0.jpg

starsky

FNG
I guess I'm the outlier here, but if you're shooting right handed, I'd go Kimber Montana in anything 243 or bigger with a SWFA SS 6x scope.

GKPrice

Banned
starsky - I too like the Kimber Montana, I've owned 6 of them and when they shoot they shoot well, when they don't they are a problem child IME - my comments were leaning toward a rifle that can be had for a reasonable cost that has a good track record out of the box (which Tikka's do) It is tough to beat the stats of an 84L in '06 for a "hunting" gun and I believe I'm about to give one a try (again) in the hopes that it will be a shooter with 180's of some premium brand - At near $1200 I'll be nearing twice the investment that I would have been if I'd gone with a T3 superlight in '06 ("smart" ? not statistically, but I like the 84L features and the lighter weight - worth the gamble ? personal decision ...) I'll admit that it's fun to have "collections" but not very functional for most - If I had 20 nice rifles I'd still likely have a favorite that I'd grab 99% BUT I may just wind up having an 84L AND a T3 S.L. and they would very likely lean side by side and be set up very similarly ... there goes "utilitarian" for me ......

OP
brettpsu

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys. I forget to tell you one thing...I already have a savage 116 in a .270. come to think of it I won that gun at a gun raffle also. I guess I want a light weight rifle with a big bark just incase I ever hunt moose or grizz.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Tikkas are great for the money no doubt! But for your $1500 limit that opens up the world of Kimbers.

If you want lightweight and big bark then something like a Kimber like this a 338-06 for under 5 pounds starting weight is tough to beat and into it for less than $1500. If just going with a 30-06 you would be into it than than $1200 pretty easily.

338-06 before adding scope and rings of your choice :)

Daniel_M

WKR
I've been toting around my trusty 300 for some time, but wanted another shooter, a bit lighter.

Kimber 30-06, Talley UL rings. Leupold 3-9 @ 11oz. Had it dipped, ASAT over titanium.

d65465e1665c68def7d0ecfdf6d4abfa.jpg

f552cd949df038651e29368545facbdf.jpg

GKPrice

Banned
Luke - I really like your Kimber 338/06, you've done a cool job with the look - Question: given that Griz will not ever be on my menu and being in Griz country will be VERY limited, if at all, I'd value your opinion on whether there is much valuable difference in a 338/06 or 30/06 for ungulates and not over a 500 yard limit - I can read and calculate "on paper" all day but I'd like to hear from anyone who has on the ground experience with either or both