HELP NO BLOOD

Interesting.
I'd never heard this and my experience (elk) has been the exact opposite.
Liver hit practically as good as a heart shot.
Interesting. I think I mentioned in a previous post that most of my experience is with deer, perhaps Elk are different. Liver hits in a deer they never stop bleeding, they're going to die for sure, but it takes time. Perhaps there's more liver/lung overlap on Elk and liver is also taking some lung?

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
The year I shot that elk I was struggling with target panic, however I did not even truly recognize what it is.
Bingo! Heading out to hunt shooting 4ft groups is the start. When you make that choice there's no reason to not research how to track an animal shot anywhere from the nose to the tail.

I've worked to provide tend of thousands of dollars to crwm.

Since you focus on learning, consider examining your situation that year and all the moments that led up to not recovering the legally required amount of meat. Is there anything to learn that would have gotten you to recovering the legal amount of meat?

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
Bingo! Heading out to hunt shooting 4ft groups is the start. When you make that choice there's no reason to not research how to track an animal shot anywhere from the nose to the tail.

There you go, filling in the gaps with more BS conjecture. Maybe a 4 ft group was your experience with target panic, but it was not mine.

I expect I will never see you at the range Mr. Troll. I am not inclined to believe a word you say on your conservation contributions either. Why would you want to conserve a heritage for all hunters when clearly so few hunters are qualified to be in the woods in your eyes?

You need a big serving of humble pie and I am sending all the negative karma I can your way in hopes you get it soon. I have no patience for the type of negativity your personality type brings to the hunting community, and I have no qualms about wishing negative negative hunting experiences for you and yours. You clearly need a reality check.

jmez

WKR
The "when in doubt, back out" never made sense to me. You shot it, go get it. It will be fairly obvious how careful you need to be before "bumping" the animal.

This whole movement of backing out came from the TV trophy whitetail hunters. Newsflash, they are concerned with photo ops and recovering antlers.

No way to know but I'd venture to guess just as much,bid not more, meat is wasted by coming back the next day as opposed to going after the animal.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

No way to know but I'd venture to guess just as much,bid not more, meat is wasted by coming back the next day as opposed to going after the animal.
Almost zero IMO. I think people spent too much time in the city and assume meat spontaneously goes bad from sitting, it doesn't. Obviously around the wound channel it's going to be nasty and if there's any scavengers around that dig into it that's a loss but if the skin is on that meat will last a lot longer than people think. JMO but I think people choose to leave meat behind far too often and it's not actually bad meat.