HELP NO BLOOD

CalvinMax

FNG
This morning I went to shoot a bull head on at 15 yards, he whirled as I punched it and I caught him somewhere between broadside and quartering well away. It’s hard for me to say exactly the angle he was at as he was moving. The arrow broke off on the nearest tree he hit, about four inches of the shaft and the fixed blade broadhead must still be in him, and I have about a foot to fourteen inches of good blood up the arrow shaft. My partner got a video of him a hundred yards after the shot and he’s got a deep red blood stain down his side. I’ve included a screen shot below. To me it looks like it hit forward of where I would have placed it if I’d picked it…

There’s not a speck of blood on the ground. Nowhere. I’m at a loss for what to do, everything I’ve ever shot went down at the end of a red highway and here I have nothing.

As interested as I am in ideas about why this went awry, in the near term I’m working to recover the animal and could use any and all advice to that effect.

Attachments

• IMG_8724.jpeg
    IMG_8724.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 210
If you read what he said it whirled as he shot, no where so I see he is shooting at moving game with a bow! Give him plenty of time and grid searching is about best you can do if you aren't able to follow his tracks.

TaperPin

WKR
This morning I went to shoot a bull head on at 15 yards, he whirled as I punched it and I caught him somewhere between broadside and quartering well away. It’s hard for me to say exactly the angle he was at as he was moving. The arrow broke off on the nearest tree he hit, about four inches of the shaft and the fixed blade broadhead must still be in him, and I have about a foot to fourteen inches of good blood up the arrow shaft. My partner got a video of him a hundred yards after the shot and he’s got a deep red blood stain down his side. I’ve included a screen shot below. To me it looks like it hit forward of where I would have placed it if I’d picked it…

There’s not a speck of blood on the ground. Nowhere. I’m at a loss for what to do, everything I’ve ever shot went down at the end of a red highway and here I have nothing.

As interested as I am in ideas about why this went awry, in the near term I’m working to recover the animal and could use any and all advice to that effect.
A 500 lb elk leaves tracks where ever he goes, with or without blood.

Last edited:
OP
C

CalvinMax

FNG
Put your phone away and go look. Everywhere. Twice. For blood. There’s no magic answer. You effed up. Go grid it out. And don’t fling any more arrows at moving elk. Hope is a bad strategy.
Good reading skills dude.

OP
C

CalvinMax

FNG
A 500 elk leaves tracks where ever he goes, with or without blood.
If you read what he said it whirled as he shot, no where so I see he is shooting at moving game with a bow! Give him plenty of time and grid searching is about best you can do if you aren't able to follow his tracks.
Running the grid now, hoping to turn him up but I am just so shook at the absolute lack of blood. And the whole notion of tracking one elk by hoof prints in here is simply not going to work, I have a dozen bulls and goodness knows how many cows in the same field… think 800 yard radius is enough?

Bugger

FNG
Sounds like you’re attempting to convince yourself it’s not lethal. There’s zero way of telling that even in person until there’s a dead elk on the ground or there isn’t.
There are two of you, split up and follow natural paths of travel heading towards thick cover looking for blood and/or magpies at this point.

What state are you in? Can you get a tracking dog? Agree with grid it out...easily done using apps on your phone tracking your movements, also agree with using your nose and listening and looking for birds..magpies, Jay's, crows, ravens....good luck.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Running the grid now, hoping to turn him up but I am just so shook at the absolute lack of blood. And the whole notion of tracking one elk by hoof prints in here is simply not going to work, I have a dozen bulls and goodness knows how many cows in the same field… think 800 yard radius is enough?
Lack of blood is not something that assures a non-lethal hit. You can make a lethal high lung shot without a speck of blood hitting the ground until the bull lies down.

It sounds like you want to abandon the search and are looking for someone to write something that will ease your conscience.

If you're trying to tag that bull, you should be hunting him and looking to make another shot instead of tracking him and hoping to find him dead. Think miles instead of yards and spend some time behind glass.

If he's quartering away facing left you may have barely clipped a lung judging by where the blood spot is on that pic. I wouldn't stop looking, but I also wouldn't be holding my breath on that one.