Help me pick a tikka stock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s probably already threads about this but I’m doing it anyways.

I want to upgrade the stock for my t3x 30-06 to try and shed a bit of weight if possible. A vertical grip isn’t completely necessary but the standard tikka grip dosent feel that great to me. I’ve been using the vertical grip adapter on the standard tikka stock.

What direction do you all pick when replacing your tikka stock? I’d also appreciate any pictures or feedback both positive and negative.

Thanks!

Antares

WKR
You’ll find a lot of options that improve ergonomics, but you’ll probably struggle to find anything substantially lighter than the factory stock. Interested to hear what others have to say.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeing the Benchmark Ibex stock but have no experience with it. I haven’t seen any Tikka builds with it yet so I’m curious about any feedback compared to the Manners EH1 or AG Alpine Hunter.

Attachments

• 3557B45A-A0D0-4BA9-A215-B09A6372328B.png
    3557B45A-A0D0-4BA9-A215-B09A6372328B.png
    673.4 KB · Views: 346
I have an Allterra carbon hunter stock that I like very much, but they aren’t offering them currently. I just received a Stockys next Gen Carbon VG for a howa mini and I really like it. Ergonomics are great, good grip, cheekweld and no drop at the heel. I bought a “factory second” at a discounted price and it could use a little cosmetic work in a few spots, but I could easily use it as is. Very good value for the price.

I will probably end up ordering another for a 300wsm tikka build I’m putting together. I probably have another month wait on the barrel, so I’ll wait and see about an Allterra popping up in the meantime, but I would be happy with another Stocky’s Carbon VG.

Advertised weight on the stockys Carbon VG mini stock was 20oz and my kitchen scale said 20.5oz

The stockys carbon VG for tikka is advertised at 23oz

Photo on the Stocky’s Carbon VG on the Mini:
f64be27f735e40a1306509ae88751178.jpg

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an Allterra carbon hunter stock that I like very much, but they aren’t offering them currently. I just received a Stockys next Gen Carbon VG for a howa mini and I really like it. Ergonomics are great, good grip, cheekweld and no drop at the heel. I bought a “factory second” at a discounted price and it could use a little cosmetic work in a few spots, but I could easily use it as is. Very good value for the price.

I will probably end up ordering another for a 300wsm tikka build I’m putting together. I probably have another month wait on the barrel, so I’ll wait and see about an Allterra popping up in the meantime, but I would be happy with another Stocky’s Carbon VG.

Advertised weight on the mini stock was 20oz and my kitchen scale said 20.5oz

The tikka stock is advertised at 23oz

Photo on the Stocky’s Carbon VG on the Mini:
f64be27f735e40a1306509ae88751178.jpg
For some reason I thought the tikka stock was like 30oz. My gun is sitting at like 8lb4oz with the silencer, shv 3-10 and sportsmatch rings.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If Gunwerx made a Clymr, that’d be the answer. They don’t.

Altera is okay, but the forend is fat and overall, it’s close, but not correct. And…they don’t make it anymore.

Wildcat composites? It’s light, but ergonomics aren’t correct.

Honestly, the ‘best’ options are factory stock with vertical grip module and grossly inletted for free float or the KRG Bravo for shootability with a weight penalty.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
McMillan Hunters edge or Privateer are the front runners for me as I am going through the same search for a T3 .25-06. I have a Privateer on another rifle and like it a lot so far but have not had it very long yet. Alpine Hunter is another one but I would like to be able to get my hands on one to try it out first. Keep us posted and looking forward to hear others responses.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
McMillan Hunters edge or Privateer are the front runners for me as I am going through the same search for a T3 .25-06. I have a Privateer on another rifle and like it a lot so far but have not had it very long yet. Alpine Hunter is another one but I would like to be able to get my hands on one to try it out first. Keep us posted and looking forward to hear others responses.
The hunters edge is what I’ve been looking more and more at.

What does a McMillan stock even cost by the time it’s all said and done? They are listed as fully in letter for ~562.00 is that finished and ready to rock?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If Gunwerx made a Clymr, that’d be the answer. They don’t.

Altera is okay, but the forend is fat and overall, it’s close, but not correct. And…they don’t make it anymore.

Wildcat composites? It’s light, but ergonomics aren’t correct.

Honestly, the ‘best’ options are factory stock with vertical grip module and grossly inletted for free float or the KRG Bravo for shootability with a weight penalty.
The wildcat is a bummer since it’s a copy of the tikka factory stock and I don’t like that standard grip.

Also, for whatever reason, he can’t ship them to the USA right now.

Antares

WKR
I have 3 McMillans and I think they were all in the $600-700 range after shipping to AK (including an LEO discount). That said, they have some of the more expensive features (edge fill, adj comb, etc.).

Antares

WKR
Keep it simple. Add a vertical grip module. Honestly, it’s that easy.

Lotta other makers. No one has nailed it.
I’ve come around to your way of thinking I have McMillans and a bravo. They’re great but my current project (.223) is staying in the factory stock (plus vertical grip, LOP spacers, and a comb riser).

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Mcmillan prices went through the roof, manners is following.

I’m partial to the eh1 for a weight penalty. It’s like a carbon fiber bravo that uses factory mags… but your looking at 32oz. And potentially an 8 month wait.

Iv had the game scout and warden. Not the most ergonomic stocks but not bad, an edge fill game scout would be fairly light but still not much of a weight savings. More or less just getting something stiffer With pillars.

AG alpine hunter would t be bad if they got their inlet fixed, the one I got was messed up before the mold change.

I’m not a fan of the factory stock. There plenty of ways to cause poi shift with it.

Is this for the 3006?

LightFoot

WKR
0f0f19534130a56356e5ffa98d4a6611.jpeg

I really like the Mesa Altitude on mine. It’s not trim but also not heavy. I like having a bit more “purchase” on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’m partial to the eh1 for a weight penalty. It’s like a carbon fiber bravo that uses factory mags… but your looking at 32oz. And potentially an 8 month wait.

Iv had the game scout and warden. Not the most ergonomic stocks but not bad, an edge fill game scout would be fairly light but still not much of a weight savings. More or less just getting something stiffer With pillars.

AG alpine hunter would t be bad if they got their inlet fixed, the one I got was messed up before the mold change.

I’m not a fan of the factory stock. There plenty of ways to cause poi shift with it.

Is this for the 3006?
Yes it would be for a 30-06

Ucsdryder

WKR

Is this for the 3006?
I know it probably doesn’t help make you feel better but AG composites fixed this inlet issue with the new mold. My last was a drop in and go.

I have said it on here quite a few times but I’m a really big fan of the fit of my AG composite. I believe they’re shipping direct now to consumers? The vertical grip is great, they reduce recoil way better than the factory stock, and for long range shooting they’re a much more stable platform for me over the factory stock.