Help me pick a Calibre!

Jbrown250

FNG
Hey everyone, new Rokslider here!

I’m located on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada and getting into hunting. I’d start with blacktail deer, but would hope to eventually (as soon as experience and opportunity presents) move towards larger game such as elk, and in a few years moose.

I’ve talked to 5 or so local hunting/firearm shops all with conflicting calibre opinions. I would love to hear your opinions/experiences on these two calibres and I am all ears to other suggestions.

The first being the .270, which I know is to small for moose, questionable for elk depending who you ask, and great for deer. If I were to go this route I know I would need a larger second calibre rifle later on. Which if possible I would like to avoid for now, but understand it might be my only choice. Would this ethically allow me to hunt elk?

The second being the .300 win mag, will kill everything with proper utilization on the hunters behalf. The problem I’ve read is potential meat loss on smaller deer (which I’ve heard can be negated with the right choice of ammunition). This option is appealing as I can master one rifle, one round. But wonder if this is stupidly overkill for my needs, or risking meat loss?

I’ve shot 30-06 and .308 and had no problem with recoil, I understand the win mag hits a but harder but imagine I would be fine? At least with a limbsavor.

I understand the value of shot placement over calibre, and would never take a shot I wasn’t confident in.

If you’ve made it this far into my ramblings, thanks for reading! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-J

Antares

WKR
Welcome! You’re going to get a variety of opinions and based on how you’ve phrased your question, I’m guessing some of them will be eye opening (hint: smaller cartridges than you think). Enjoy!

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
Thanks for the welcome and reply. I’m all ears for the suggestions, just a humble beginner here to learn!

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
A cartridge that's widely available in your area. Then, go buy all of it. You'll want to practice.

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
30-06 is good enough for everything in North America. Easy to find and lots of rifle options. You can match your bullet to the game- 150-168 gr for deer, 168-180 gr for elk/moose, 200+gr for dangerous game
Thanks a ton! Would you say ought 6 and a .308 would both fit this category? My local stores were slim picking on rifle/calibres (the supply chain issues still seems to be plaguing local stores).

gerry35

WKR
Welcome to another BC boy. I would look at the 270, 308 or 30-06 at the top end. If you want a "magnum" then the 7mm Rem Mag is good and you can find ammo for it. The 270 is definitely not too small for moose. Pick a good bullet and stick double lung whatever you shoot at and you'll be good to go. Some here will try to talk you into a smaller cartridge but we have to take into account a growing grizzly population that is getting more aggressive.

The older I get the smaller the caliber I use gets... If I was just starting out I would focus on the 308, 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
Welcome to another BC boy. I would look at the 270, 308 or 30-06 at the top end. If you want a "magnum" then the 7mm Rem Mag is good and you can find ammo for it. The 270 is definitely not too small for moose. Pick a good bullet and stick double lung whatever you shoot at and you'll be good to go. Some here will try to talk you into a smaller cartridge but we have to take into account a growing grizzly population that is getting more aggressive.
Are you across the pond or on Vancouver Island?! Okay thanks for input, of all the options you mentioned you feel all would be acceptable for BC game?

gerry35

WKR
@Jbrown250 Skeena valley here. I would feel good with any of the ones I mentioned. The 270 Win and 308 Win are excellent for anyone but especially a newer hunter. If you ever want to hunt Bison you'll need a 175 gr or heavier to be legal which would eliminate the 270 Win unless you have a custom barrel and handload.

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
The older I get the smaller the caliber I use gets... If I was just starting out I would focus on the 308, 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM
Hey thanks for the reply! The 6.5 was really interesting but I was told its dicey on big game! Thats a few times Ive heard suggestion of the 7mm-08 I should look into it.

Thanks a ton! Would you say ought 6 and a .308 would both fit this category? My local stores were slim picking on rifle/calibres (the supply chain issues still seems to be plaguing local stores).
No. The 30-06 is better than the 308, and other based cartridge’s. A bit extra energy helps with big bodied elk and moose. The 300 win would be good if you were a more experienced shooter?

Since you live in BC and will hunt bigger animals than 99% of the L48 wannabes I say bump it up over the smaller calibers unless you want multiple rifles (which you should 😀)

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
@Jbrown250 Skeena valley here. I would feel good with any of the ones I mentioned. The 270 Win and 308 Win are excellent for anyone but especially a newer hunter. If you ever want to hunt Bison you'll need a 175 gr or heavier to be legal which would eliminate the 270 Win unless you have a custom barrel and handload.
A stones throw away! Thats good to know thanks, a custom barrel and handloads wont be in my future anytime soon, but then again neither is hunting bison. Thanks alot for the input!

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
No. The 30-06 is better than the 308, and other based cartridge’s. A bit extra energy helps with big bodied elk and moose. The 300 win would be good if you were a more experienced shooter?

Since you live in BC and will hunt bigger animals than 99% of the L48 wannabes I say bump it up over the smaller calibers unless you want multiple rifles (which you should 😀)
I have been shooting for the past 6 years, I’ve killed a LOT of paper so I think so far you’ve got me beat on size of hunted game 😂. I wasn’t shy of the .300 if its fits the bill but if its to much for my needs I would consider a 30-06 happily.

OP
J

Jbrown250

FNG
30-06 with a 180g bullet in front of 60g of h4831sc will do you right.
Is that available in a factory load with to 60g of h4831sc? I don’t handload or have any equipment!
30-06 with a 180g bullet in front of 60g of h4831sc will do you right.
is that available in a factory load with the 60g of h4831sc? I don't have any equipment or experience handloading.

TheGDog

WKR
Why would a .270 Win be a nogo for Moose? Heck people have taken those with .30-30's.