Cereal
Tortilla/Almond Butter/Honey
WA Hydrate
WA Superman
Raisins/Craisins
Jerky
Dried Fruit
Choco Almonds

Calorie count is over 3000 and protein over 115. This is a days worth of food all just a touch over 2lbs. No cooking, no jetboil, all basically open and eat. I'm looking for opinions from others with more experience than I.

Yes, I'll get tired of tuna and chicken and basically the same things every day. I'm aware and accept that (I'll grab food every 5-7 days in town for a change). I just want to know what everyone thinks of the calorie count, protein and weight.

My wife is the food person so this was pretty much her project so I know it's nutritionally sound but I don't have anything else to compare it to except MREs which are heavy and very unhealthy (yes, I know I threw some candy in there!!!).

Thanks ahead of time for the input!!!!

colonel00

WKR
I don't know about canned chicken but they have foil pack chicken which could save a little weight. Also, they have foil packed beef now too which could mix it up. I also like different condiment options to mix in to change up flavors a bit.

OP
D

Dion

FNG
Where is the foil chicken??? We couldn't find any or that's what we would have went with. Too late now, we have 30 cans. lol. Thanks for the heads up though. I will be bringing a bottle of Franks Redhot with me.

colonel00

WKR
The ones pictured here all came from a Walmart with the full grocery section.

20140517_183557.jpg

Also, to save a little weight, you can find condiment packs with Frank's or other hot sauces as well as other condiments like relish, olive oil mayo, salsa and so on. It really makes it easy to carry an assortment of flavorings to change things up.

littlebuf

Banned
since you already have the cans, take the chicken out of the cans and vacuum seal it. again, no cans.

OP
D

Dion

FNG
I did see that Tyson but the wife didn't like the ingredients.

And I was afraid if I took it out of the cans it would spoil too fast. I hate the idea of cans too.

is there a reason you dont want to use a stove? i really appreciate a hot meal some times. if youre hunt is more than a couple days the weight is usually equaled as you can bring lighter food...

OP
D

Dion

FNG
I've grown accustom to MREs after 13.5+ yrs in the military so it doesn't bother me. I'll probably take a few of the heaters from the MREs just in case I change my mind. I may look into this for next year, but it's out for this season. Another reason is because I already spent a lot of money this year upgrading equipment and I'm done spending on gear.

Next year it'll be my pack and I'll look into cooking. But if I do, it'll be food I cook and dehydrate. It's a fun project for me and the wife to do together and I know what's going into my food that way.