Help me decide between these 2 hunting scopes.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
After much help from form and other members on this site, I have narrowed my next hunting scope down to 2 choices: trijicon accupoint 1-6 and nightforce shv 3-10. I hunt whitetails out of a treestand in Wisconsin. My average shot is 40-100 yards. I have taken 2 shots over 100 yards: 120 and 175. The farthest shot I could ever see myself taking is 250. This will be a set it and leave it scope, no turret twisting. I hunt public land and my gun definitely gets bumped around on the way in/out. Does anyone have any input on which scope I should go with?

nobody

WKR
If you think you’ll EVER hunt in any other conditions (IE distances, terrain, other states or animals, etc), I would go with the NF just for the greater versatility, especially if this is your only rifle. An LPVO would be great if you’re only ever gonna hunt at home under those conditions, or if you’ve got other rifles with other “capabilities.” But it’s definitely a more “niche” option, whereas a 3-10 has more “worldwide” versatility. The reason you don’t take a shot or go hunt somewhere should never be because your weapon system isn’t up to the task, it should be because YOU aren’t up to the task. The 3-10 NF could easily be the “catch all” option that would take a guy around the globe with one rifle without much for compromise.

If it was my rifle, it would unquestionably be wearing the NF 3-10

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
If you think you’ll EVER hunt in any other conditions (IE distances, terrain, other states or animals, etc), I would go with the NF just for the greater versatility, especially if this is your only rifle. An LPVO would be great if you’re only ever gonna hunt at home under those conditions, or if you’ve got other rifles with other “capabilities.” But it’s definitely a more “niche” option, whereas a 3-10 has more “worldwide” versatility. The reason you don’t take a shot or go hunt somewhere should never be because your weapon system isn’t up to the task, it should be because YOU aren’t up to the task. The 3-10 NF could easily be the “catch all” option that would take a guy around the globe with one rifle without much for compromise.

If it was my rifle, it would unquestionably be wearing the NF 3-10
Thank you for your input. I have plans to buy a second rifle for longer range, but don't know when that would be. But the NF still might be the best option. Decisions decisions.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless you need to shoot hogs moving close in fast, when would you ever use the 1-3 of the LPVO or shoot with both eyes open?

IMO, if you can’t answer that question then go with the SHV.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you need to shoot hogs moving close in fast, when would you ever use the 1-3 of the LPVO or shoot with both eyes open?

I've shot a few deer inside 30 yards and I appreciated the 2x power of my scope in that close. Whether I needed to go that low or not is debatable I guess.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've shot a few deer inside 30 yards and I appreciated the 2x power of my scope in that close. Whether I needed to go that low or not is debatable I guess.
That’s close, and you could go LPVO for that. You certainly don’t need more than 6x for a 150 yard shot. I can’t see the 3x being a problem for 30 yard shots though.

I was shooting a fixed 3x AR scope well inside vital sized groups out to 200 and in close at 50 yards.

Do you need more mag for identifying which deer you are shooting?

Which reticle do you like better?

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
That’s close, and you could go LPVO for that. You certainly don’t need more than 6x for a 150 yard shot. I can’t see the 3x being a problem for 30 yard shots though.

I was shooting a fixed 3x AR scope well inside vital sized groups out to 200 and in close at 50 yards.

Do you need more mag for identifying which deer you are shooting?

Which reticle do you like better?
Do you have any experience with shv scopes? I think my only concern at this point is eye relief. It would be going on a light weight bolt .308.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I owned some and friends still have them. Eye relief is fine on them IMO, especially if you size the rifle to you and then mount the scope to your eye.

I never have to worry about sight picture or eye relief with my rifles. I test it at high power seated and prone. When seated, your head is away and when probe your head is closer.

I make sure that the two distances of my eye from the scope fall into the window of eye relief.

If you have multiple people shooting your rifle, that can be a little bit of an issue regardless of eye relief.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider

I must be an oddball. I shoot every single round, whether a scope or iron sights, with both eyes open…

Macintosh

WKR
I like low power scopes for still hunting and tracking, its the cqb of the hunting world so a lpvo makes sense to me and I think the additional field of view that generally accompanies 1-2x is an asset compared to a 3x in that situation. But hunting from a stand I dont think I need as much field of view—less fast movement involved. For 50+ yard shooting I also appreciate a little extra magnification as an assist in picking a window through brush—it’s not needed for the shot itself, but 8 or 10x easily picks up twigs in the way that lower magnification doesnt, at least for me. So, as described, unless you routinely spend half of every day still-hunting TO your stand and back home from it, Id go with the 3-10. I’m eyeing one of those 1-6’s myself for a 7600 carbine, but you arent really handicapping yourself with a 3-9 or 3-10.

BLJ

WKR
I hunt in similar situations as you and have a 1-6 with illumination. It’s great for me.
I always try to be on the lowest magnification needed. Walking around I’m usually on 1x. Increase magnification as needed.
I like being able to spot impacts and stay on the deer as it runs. A lot easier for follow up shots or just follow it through the scope to where it falls and never come off the animal.
If I do come off the animal at the shot, it’s a lot easier for me to get back in it quick with the low magnification.
Not to say this can’t be done on 3x, but on 2x seems to be a substantial improvement and 1x even better. IMO.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely go with the SHV for the extra light you would be gathering from the bigger objective and for the fact that 3-10 is a great all around magnification range.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your help. I trust this group more than any other source. I ended up grabbing a nightforce shv 3-10 tonight. I figured it's probably the best do it all mag range. I plan to build a very compact light kicking gun with a 1-6 accupoint in the future.

Good choice on the shv. I have the shv and credo hx 1-6. Usually keep them on 4x. The shv has smoother zoom. The credo illumination is just a center red dot which I prefer. The turret clicks on the shv feel more robust.

Pick the scope you feel best with from your research and info gathering.

I too, have been shooting with both eyes open for years now after understanding the benefits. Better field of view, see the target reaction more easily (even from a distance), less strain from keeping one eye closed.