Help me choose a 6lb mountain rifle!

cgill54

FNG
Hey all, just wanted to try and get some feed back on my next rifle build. I’ve decided packing around the ole trusty 300 win mag that weights 11 pounds is just not for me anymore. I’ve decided on either a 7 rem mag or 7PRC (whatever is available in the rifle I choose to buy). I’ve narrowed my options down to what the local sporting goods store carries and frankly they carry some good rifles. My options are:
-Fierce carbon rogue
- savage 110 ultralight
- weatherby 307 alpine CT
- Bergara b-14 ridge carbon
- tikka T3X super light
- Christensen arms mesa fft and ridgeline fft
- browning x bolt mountain pro

Wondering if any of you have experience with these rifles especially the fierce and weatherby. I know fierce and Christensen have some bad reviews for customer service when it comes to getting a lemon fixed. But bad news travels faster than good news and both companies have sold thousands of great shooting rifles. All these rifles I have listed have there quarks whether it be action, stock or barrel. Any opinion or feed back is greatly appreciated in helping me narrow down this list! Thanks!

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
Hey all, just wanted to try and get some feed back on my next rifle build. I’ve decided packing around the ole trusty 300 win mag that weights 11 pounds is just not for me anymore. I’ve decided on either a 7 rem mag or 7PRC (whatever is available in the rifle I choose to buy). I’ve narrowed my options down to what the local sporting goods store carries and frankly they carry some good rifles. My options are:
-Fierce carbon rogue
- savage 110 ultralight
- weatherby 307 alpine CT
- Bergara b-14 ridge carbon
- tikka T3X super light
- Christensen arms mesa fft and ridgeline fft
- browning x bolt mountain pro

Wondering if any of you have experience with these rifles especially the fierce and weatherby. I know fierce and Christensen have some bad reviews for customer service when it comes to getting a lemon fixed. But bad news travels faster than good news and both companies have sold thousands of great shooting rifles. All these rifles I have listed have there quarks whether it be action, stock or barrel. Any opinion or feed back is greatly appreciated in helping me narrow down this list! Thanks!
Forgot the Seekins Havak element in that list

cjdewese

WKR
I don't have $ for a lot of rifles or even nice upper end custom rifles.

I chose a tikka t3x lite stainless with an swfa 3-15, its right at 8 lbs with the scope.

Shoots sub MOA so far every time I have been out and looking forward to the 1st season with it.

Big game my max is 400 yards but I like to practice out to 600 to make sure I’m dialed at 400.

Before someone else says it, a 7mm-08 will do everything you need inside 400 yards if you really want a 7mm. And it won’t beat you as hard in a light rifle.

Unless you think that 0.5mm makes a big difference, you can dial it down further to a 6.5cm or 6mm

Last edited:
I have a browning in 7prc and it’s a tack driver. I don’t have the mountain pro version, but the standard SR model

Taudisio

WKR
Before someone else says it, a 7mm-08 will do everything you need inside 400 yards if you really want a 7mm. And it won’t beat you as hard in a light rifle.
I was literally typing out my response saying how the 7 mag variety are poor choices for the lightweight and range you have selected. 😂

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
A 6lb 7PRC sounds like a bit much, especially if you are limiting your range out to 600 yards. A 6mm Creedmoor will handle that weight MUCH MUCH better and with modern, match-style bullets, will be plenty effective from a terminal perspective out to your indicated max range. I'm not going to tell you that big guns don't have utility, but I will tell you that 6lb big guns don't offer much utility... My reccomendation:
  • Tikka T3x varient in a short action
    • have rechambered to 6cm Creedmoor
    • cut and thread the barrel at 20 - 21"
    • trigger spring upgrade
  • Rokstock or McMillan Mountain Tracker LR
  • Run factory Hornady ELDM or Berger 108 EOH
Out of your list, Browning and Tikka's are the only two brands I would personally trust. Not to say the other brands don't have some fine shooting rifles out there, but I think your odds of getting a poor shooter are much lower with Browning and Tikka than the others on your list.

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
A short action cartridge, shooting a .260+ G7 BC at 2700 or faster should be your jam. I’d suggest a 6mm, quarter bore, 6.5mm, 6.8mm, or 7mm. The 5.56mm isn’t legal everywhere for everything otherwise it would be on the list too.

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
I appreciate everyone’s response so far, as far as the caliber goes I’m pretty set on the 7rem mag or 7prc specifically for elk. I know I can handle the recoil and I start practicing months before rifle seasons rolls around to get acclimated to the rifle again. I started thinking of getting a different rifle after my buddy picked up a b-14 carbon ridge in 7prc. After I felt how light it was and the recoil I knew I had to get a lighter rifle. A light weight rifle like that in 7prc definitely kicked and jumped around but not nearly as bad as I thought. This new rifle will be a do it all backpack elk and deer rifle. My self imposed range is 400 yards but I know in a pinch I could accurately shoot to 600 yards, and I know smaller and lighter recoiling calibers will do the trick but after shooting a 300 win mag for a few years the confidence I have in magnums are unmatched. Something about the heavier bullets with that extra energy just puts my mind at ease. To sum it up I am just more confident with a magnum

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
I appreciate everyone’s response so far, as far as the caliber goes I’m pretty set on the 7rem mag or 7prc specifically for elk. I know I can handle the recoil and I start practicing months before rifle seasons rolls around to get acclimated to the rifle again. I started thinking of getting a different rifle after my buddy picked up a b-14 carbon ridge in 7prc. After I felt how light it was and the recoil I knew I had to get a lighter rifle. A light weight rifle like that in 7prc definitely kicked and jumped around but not nearly as bad as I thought. This new rifle will be a do it all backpack elk and deer rifle. My self imposed range is 400 yards but I know in a pinch I could accurately shoot to 600 yards, and I know smaller and lighter recoiling calibers will do the trick but after shooting a 300 win mag for a few years the confidence I have in magnums are unmatched. Something about the heavier bullets with that extra energy just puts my mind at ease. To sum it up I am just more confident with a magnum
also should mention I will be adding in a after market ported brake to help with recoil.

A 140 gr bullet with a MV of 3000 fps from a 7mm-08 will be moving 56 fps faster at 300 yards, than the same bullet fired from a 7mm Rem Mag w a MV of 3300 would be moving at 500 yards. And at 400 yards, the 7mm-08 fired bullet would be going 53 fps faster than the 7mm mag at 600 yards. So if the 7mm mag is considered acceptable at 600 yards, but you have no intention of shooting past 400, then a 7mm-08 would do the trick, with less recoil, less weight, and a shorter barrel.

If that weren't enough, a 7mm rem or 7mm PRC is going to kick you silly in a 6# rifle, and adding a muzzle brake is going to ruin your hearing.

Why not just get the 7mm-08 Fieldcraft in the classifieds and call it a day?

Taudisio

WKR
Clearly, you have made up your mind. Go play with all 7 brands you have decided fit what you want, work their actions, shoulder them, pick one and buy it.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Do a search on Fierce here on the forum. Might change your mind on that one.

LFC911

WKR
I had the Savage 110 UL in 6.5mm PRC; the good it shot lights out, the bad the stock. Sold that gun and got the CAR FFT in 7mm PRC, which shoots lights out, sub 6 lbs, and the stock doesn't suck.