Help me catch this rat!

CJF

WKR
Thanks to this thread me an my 8 year old son are thinking about adopting a few minks and a pack of the most homeless looking dogs I can find! Watching them hunt is entertaining.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Tootsie Roll candy. Buy some. Take a piece and chew it up to make is soft and gooey. Take gooey candy and mold around the trigger on you snap trap. Set trap and catch/kill said rat. It's the only way I've caught the really good ones.

ChrisA

WKR
Tootsie Roll candy. Buy some. Take a piece and chew it up to make is soft and gooey. Take gooey candy and mold around the trigger on you snap trap. Set trap and catch/kill said rat. It's the only way I've caught the really good ones.
Any ant problems with said bait?

Chris

OP

3forks

WKR
Well, I’m sure you’ll all be as disappointed as I am when I inform you that I still haven’t caught this rat.

Yesterday, I re-boiled my conibear traps, and I placed some Victor snap traps along the rats travel corridor (unset) and also some Victor snap traps close to some low hanging tomatoes (covered lightly in dirt), and also unset.

Granted, I wouldn’t expect to catch this rat with unset traps, but figured the conibears would have gotten this @sshole as I set one by the hole he’s using to get under the garden fence and another over the hole he created to get under the deck.

I‘ve checked for any other holes where this rat could be getting under the deck, but haven’t found any.

Could this bastard be so smart that he took the night off rather than leave the cover of the deck due to the presence of the conibear?

I’ve never wanted to kill something so badly in my life. I’m hoping my impatience to catch this rat hasn’t resulted in me educating him to the point that I‘m running out of trap options.

I appreciate everyone’s input and have ordered some round body grip traps, long springs, and may eventually break down and buy one the fancy pneumatic traps someone posted earlier. I may also have to go the opposite direction and go caveman simple and try building a snare like the Spanish wind lash that I’ve seen on Youtube. My browser history consists of nothing but searches for rat traps, and all the pop up ads that are targeted at me regard extermination services. I’ve got to catch this rat so I can get on with my life.

WRM

WKR
He's smart, no doubt, but he's a rat. Your persistence will end him in the end.

WRM

WKR
Moving is harsh tho--I've dealt with some smartass (rats) before. Definitely agree on the monitoring. You can probably just rig up some cheapo security cams. Seeing what this little a hole is doing will give you a big advantage (theoretically, I mean you haven't harmed a hair yet--but we're all pulling for you).

Last edited:
What a tremendously hostile world a rat must endure. Yet, not only does he survive, he thrives. And the reason for this, is because our little foe has a instinct for survival and preservation second to none.

WRM

WKR
What a tremendously hostile world a rat must endure. Yet, not only does he survive, he thrives. And the reason for this, is because our little foe has a instinct for survival and preservation second to none.

As Goldblum once said: Life finds a way. Never truer than with a rat.

What have NYC pizza rats done during covid?

OP

3forks

WKR
have you setup trail cameras? You should do that right away. Knowing the face of your adversary will strengthen your resolve, and more importantly, it will add to our entertainment. Also, if you don’t catch this monster by Friday, I suggest moving.
I’ve seen his face. One night I went outside to lock the garage and the bastard ran within a few feet of me. The rat had been exploring the garage and I startled him when I came outside. It was dark, and I was half asleep, but as the rat ran past me - our eyes locked and in that moment we recognized each other as advisories in a contest humans and rats have been engaged in since the dawn of time.

The pressure is getting to me.

I feel compelled to catch this rat for my own gratification, but my wife is also talking to realtors but reluctant to abandon her garden. The housing market in Colorado is insane and it’s gong to cost me a fortune to get us moved if I can’t catch this rat.

Randle

WKR
I suggest that annoying neighbor kid that shoots out the street and porch lights.
You know he has skills and probably a DQ $50 gift card would be cheaper then your traps..
I know we hunters never quit..
We are sure you will nail it.

Fatcamp

WKR
OP needs better cats.

KIMG3847.JPG

Feral rescues. They do this all day, but damn if I have any rats.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
I hope you have a taxidermist in mind. This beast deserves a spot on the mantel.

Only real question--full body or shoulder? That's another thread tho.

My half feral boy is about worthless (nut snippin). Full feral girl that was born in the backyard is the hunter. Mostly we see birds getting picked off feeder, but she's not above a lizard either. I rarely see a rat outside the house, but they did just watch a huge mole run around the drive a few days back so who knows what goes thru their minds.

Fatcamp

WKR
Only real question--full body or shoulder? That's another thread tho.

My half feral boy is about worthless (nut snippin). Full feral girl that was born in the backyard is the hunter. Mostly we see birds getting picked off feeder, but she's not above a lizard either. I rarely see a rat outside the house, but they did just watch a huge mole run around the drive a few days back so who knows what goes thru their minds.

They can be hard to read at times.

Laramie

WKR
Trail Cameras are a must at this point. I'm guessing we have other members close to you that would be glad to assist- provide some free scouting. Have you considered using a guide? I hear they really increase success rates.

WRM

WKR
Trail Cameras are a must at this point. I'm guessing we have other members close to you that would be glad to assist- provide some free scouting. Have you considered using a guide? I hear they really increase success rates.

Have you ever priced a good rat guide? $20k min is what I hear.

But, you do get in the guide pool for your tag, so there's that.