Help me catch this rat!

sndmn11

WKR
I’m also going to dig a pit trap in the garden (think 6 feet will be deep enough?), and place punji sticks in the bottom of it.This pit trap is going to suck because it means I’ll have to tell my wife and toddler to stay out of the garden and will have water the plants myself.

Why not get some busted arrows and put your new broadheads to the test instead of the punjis? If you're going to go all out, then for Pete's sake, go all out.

OP

3forks

WKR
Why not get some busted arrows and put your new broadheads to the test instead of the punjis? If you're going to go all out, then for Pete's sake, go all out.
Already asked Iron Will and they won’t give me a bulk price on broad heads.

The guy practically laughed at me when he asked why I need 2 dozen. I’m done with that company.

ttltown

WKR
I know you said you were avoiding poison, but that is probably the easiest and most effective way to kill it. I recently bought a 10lb tub of Golden Marlin to take care of some skunks and coons getting under my deck. Mixed it with beer, sugar, and peanut butter on a paper plate. First night 2 skunks and 2 coons. Second night 1 skunk and 0 coon. Third night 1 skunk. Nothing the next 2 and decided they were all gone. I probably only used a half pound total.

If you pay shipping I'd be happy to send you an envelope of it. I have more than I can use

Yeah that’s dang effective. Use it and coke for coons and they are usually laying next to the bowl. Not advisable with pets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
Poison.

A friend has rabbits & chickens. The feed attracted rats. He tried sitting out at night to pick them off with a BB gun. He got a few, but not enough. He ended up putting poison under his shed and in other areas. Eventually, they ate the poison and died.

I've seen the youtube of guys using minks to catch rats. pretty cool

Last edited:

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
If you know where he's coming out from under your deck, set some snares around it and see what happens, they are cheap and easy to make.

Laramie

WKR
I had one rat in my garage last winter. It was a humbling experience- they are stupid smart. I tried every trap I could find- nothing worked. I saw him occasionally over the course of my 10 day problem with him. I finally decided to just wait in the garage with my BB gun and ended up shooting him from about 2' away. He actually made it out of the garage and a ways down the driveway before he died- bleeding all the way.

My advice is to wait him out and shoot him. Please film it and share- I regret not doing that.

tammons

FNG
We’ve got a rat living under our deck, and catching this bastard has been a challenge (I’m aware that when you think you have one rat - it’s usually more).

We have a garden, and the neighbors have chickens so I’ve dealt with rats before, but I can usually eradicate a rat(s) without too much difficulty. We keep our BBQ grills clean, no bird feeders, no pet food accessible, trash cans covered and keep the landscaping maintained so as not make an inviting place for vermin. But, the neighbors chicken feed and our garden seem to be the reason we get some periodically.

In the past, at the first sign of a rat I put out a couple of snap traps with a dab of peanut butter and within a few days - I’ve killed all the rats. I‘ve put wire mesh around flower beds and the deck to prevent a rat from burrowing, but this rat has dug about 6 inches down underneath the wire.

So far I’ve been unable to catch this rat with snap traps, glue boards, 5 gallon bucket with a baited roller (rat steps on roller and falls into bucket and drowns), and even a Havahart live trap. I’ve gone as far as to boil traps to remove human scent and use gloves to set traps. Also, I’ve changed baits to ensure the rat hasn‘t associated the smell of particular baits with a trap, and allowed this bastard to eat the bait for a couple of days without setting the trap to get it used to eating the bait with no consequence.

I’m about out the of options. I have seen there’s a guy on YouTube that goes to dairy farms with minks and those minksare amazingly effective. *Google minks and rats and I guarantee you will be morbidly entertained watching this guy’s minks slaughtering rats. So, I’m down to putting out a poison bait station(Trying to avoid that), tearing up the deck, or buying my own minkto kill this rat.

This rat is outwitting me at every turn… Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks in advance.
If you can find tracks, try to find its general path funnel it down if you can and go buy the largest sticky trap you can find. I caught a huge rat the other day like this.

WRM

WKR
I'd never heard of the Golden "Marlin" (Malrin) mentioned above. Must be damned effective....

Mind your Ps and Qs, kiddies. Even a sorry rat is not a "target species" for it. Make a heck of a story for you though.

Holocene

WKR
Rat-X is about the only safe poison I've heard of, meaning it shouldn't harm domestic pets if they eat the bait or your bycatch. Check out Mousetrap Monday on Youtube (fella I work with runs this channel) for tons of cool trap ideas.

I've got a smart rat in our garden that is eluding all the traditional steps, so will be following this thread.

Lot's of feedback here, keep us updated on what ends up working for you... I'm curious how these rats will meet their end.

WRM

WKR
Rat-X is about the only safe poison I've heard of, meaning it shouldn't harm domestic pets if they eat the bait or your bycatch. Check out Mousetrap Monday on Youtube (fella I work with runs this channel) for tons of cool trap ideas.

I've got a smart rat in our garden that is eluding all the traditional steps, so will be following this thread.

Flip n slide! I'm gettin one!! I've suspected a lot of my quarry has escaped a roller in a 5 gallon because they are acrobatic little sob's. That's a great idea--no jumping out of that cone. I rarely encounter one of the big boys it won't work on.

Bacon! They cannot resist Bacon. Make a Mojave Scissor snare and use bacon for bait.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
Why not design a trap where you put down a metal something or other. Electrify it and put some foot in the middle on rubber.