Help finding best scanner/copy machine for lots of old photos

shader112

WKR
A question for the brain trust. We lost Grandpa this week at 94. I have always wanted to scan in his photos dating back to 1930. There are thousands of all different sizes and quality, some delicate.

I would like to buy a scanner to get them on my computer and just put the different albums into folders. The old ones will have to be one at a time, but would like a scanner than can do say 50 normal photos quickly.

I have no idea if there is a quick and efficient scanner for doing this. Any suggestions are appreciated

OP
S

shader112

WKR
Sorry about the loss of your grandfather. Here is a link to PC Mag's best scanner review; has some good choices that you can follow up on:

You can also get combo printer scanner copiers for less.
Thank you, that is the list I found also. Looks like there are a couple good options for speed and scanning both sides at the same time

TSnave

FNG
My wife was in your situation a few years ago; she picked up an Epson Perfection V600 Photo and it's worked well.

OP
S

shader112

WKR
My wife was in your situation a few years ago; she picked up an Epson Perfection V600 Photo and it's worked well.
Thank you, I am looking at the

Epson FastFoto FF-680W Wireless High-speed Photo and Document Scanning System​

It's pricey as hell, but I think I might use it and pass it around to some friends and family so they can digitize old photos. Then maybe sell it for a couple hundred bucks.

Rotnguns

WKR
Thank you, I am looking at the

Epson FastFoto FF-680W Wireless High-speed Photo and Document Scanning System​

It's pricey as hell, but I think I might use it and pass it around to some friends and family so they can digitize old photos. Then maybe sell it for a couple hundred bucks.
Yeah, PC Mag really liked it. It's expensive but it's a real wampus cat - all the bells and whistles.

The Epson v600 is a great scanner and relatively cheap used. You can also scan negatives and slides though some of the larger sizes won't fit. You'd need a Epson perfection v850. These scanner are flatbed however and would take longer to do a large amount. For a relatively cheap feed scanner check out a KODAK i1210 Scanner on ebay.

OP
S

shader112

WKR
Update
I bought the Epson FF-680w

Very happy I did. I scanned in over 3,000 photos of all different shapes and sizes and qualities. It does them faster than rated on the highest quality 1200dpi. You create a folder including year and can do as many batches in to it as needed, then start a new one.

I was able to get all 3,000 photos in about 200 folders which makes it very easy to sort through. And there is a plastic cover for delicate photos or very small ones so they can be fed through.

It also creates an "enhanced" photo and scans the back at the same time. The enhanced are generally much better looking and somehow gets rid of sun fading and other stuff.

Don't wait to do this like I did. Stuff was already starting to disappear before I got through everything. Pick a weekend and just do it. I could loan the scanner out to anyone in the area also

Rotnguns

WKR
Update
I bought the Epson FF-680w

Very happy I did. I scanned in over 3,000 photos of all different shapes and sizes and qualities. It does them faster than rated on the highest quality 1200dpi. You create a folder including year and can do as many batches in to it as needed, then start a new one.

I was able to get all 3,000 photos in about 200 folders which makes it very easy to sort through. And there is a plastic cover for delicate photos or very small ones so they can be fed through.

It also creates an "enhanced" photo and scans the back at the same time. The enhanced are generally much better looking and somehow gets rid of sun fading and other stuff.

Don't wait to do this like I did. Stuff was already starting to disappear before I got through everything. Pick a weekend and just do it. I could loan the scanner out to anyone in the area also
Thanks for the update and the great advice. Glad you got your pictures scanned and even enhanced.