Help - Best Reliability: Toyota 4Runner v Subaru Ascent v Kia Telluride

Ignoring most all other categories….. which of the 3 has the best long term reliability?

Sole purpose is for the wife to use it as her Soccer. Mom daily mode of transportation and child hauler. We have 3 kids 9-15 years of age. She will never go off-road (I might) and it will never tow anything. Strictly lots of city miles on average around 30k/year. Plan is for her to drive it for 3 years and b that time I’ll have 2 kid drivers of which the oldest child when then drive this vehicle. Should have close to 100k miles on it by then. I plan on keeping it for as long as I can to pas down to the other children as they get older.

I don’t care about gas mileage (I know the 4Runner is the weakest in that category), prices are within In $2-5k depend8mg on specs (Toyota being the most expensive). Resale, well I don’t plan on selling it any time soon. but I would guess the Toyota wins here also. I have never owned any of these brands before. Which is going to be the most reliable of the three over 200k+ miles? My guess would be Toyota, closely followed by Subaru then the Kia.

Since she’ll be spending lots of time in it daily which has the best cabin creature comforts? I Whois’s guess the Kia >Subaru>Toyota.

Whats says the WKR brain trust?

Id rule out the 4runner unless you get her a Limited. Not enough bells and whistles for a soccer mom and the gas mileage is not great.

I own 2 a 1999 and a 2019 so not hating just my soccer mon mobile opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 2005 4 runner (V8) with 408000 and change miles on it, and it still runs perfect. No oil leaks. I love driving it.

I also have a 2019 Subaru, but I don't have enough miles on it to tell you anything about reliability (I bought it new). But I can tell you that the dealerships around me suck (2 of them). I have taken it in several times with a low tire. They never added air or looked for the reason All auto repair facilities are required by law to check tire air pressure, at least here in my state); obviously they failed to check tire air pressure.

Both Subaru dealerships also failed to add windshield washer fluid, every time I have serviced the car with them.

ODB

WKR
Why not toyota highlander if you are considering other crossovers?

I'd second and third this... our 2012 highlander has done an amazing job hauling kids and gear and whatnot. Very comfy, decent MPG, easy to take care of. And great in the snow.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Toyota 4runner is factually one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. Toyota is in my opinion the most reliable car manufacturer on the planet. I say this after having three Toyota trucks with combined mileage of around 750,000 miles with no issues. My current vehicle is a Tundra with 329,000 miles and 17 years of ownership. I have replaced the torque converter and the radiator one time all other routine maintenance and that’s it.

Funny the OP asked about reliability only and got answers about everything else but reliability :)

CorbLand

WKR
Reliability is going to go towards the 4Runner. They are really hard to beat and run for many miles on basic maintenance.

We bought a Kia Optima with 35,000 a little over 4 years ago. It has just of 60,000 on it currently and it’s been reliable so for. I have been impressed.

D S 319

WKR
Subarus are supposed to be very reliable, but I’d go with the Toyota they’re tried and true!

You will get more for your money when it comes to goodies with the Subaru. I checked out all three for my wife as well and ultimately we ordered an Ascent. Part of that was it was her favorite to drive and had the most options at the cheaper price.

It does come at an expense as my teenage boys are saying she is now a tree hugging hippy, but hey what can you do. Mama loved the Subaru.

As far as reliable, I think your ranking is probably right, but I bet there isn’t enough difference to worry about.

Ascent was $41k ordered exactly how she wanted.

Kia they wouldn’t order and told us we had to buy what they had in the lot. Everything over 50k.

4Runner she didn’t like enough to even check price. No power and terrible mileage turned her off.

She didn’t like the Highlander at all.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a Kia Sorento with 125k. Other than eating brakes (wife has a stop and go drive) it’s been great. Right now I’d assume all cars build from March of ‘20 and up are going to have a little less quality and sometimes mismatched parts (that’s another topic). Being in the industry myself and many others would pick Kia over Toyota for total cost of ownership. They’re less upfront with a bit more maintenance over time, repair costs are little less than Toyota too.

dtrkyman

WKR
That KIA is probably the nicest driving of the three, and really comfortable. Despite their reputation my Mom has had three Hyundai or KIA and all were trouble free for 150k plus, one my sister got from her at 150k and drove to 175 no issues, and my sister brakes stuff by looking at it too long!

I have a 4 runner now, 240k and 40k, on my second and my wife had Sabaru Forrster 190k. I f it were for my wife and non back road driving without hesitation get a Sabaru. Will drive better, has more goodies and gets way way better mileage. Also I have to say the Sabaru symmetrical awd Is honestly better than 4x4 in most situations except when really going through the tough stuff.

We had an issue with the intake manifold gasket at about 90k. While it was getting fixed I figured mine as well due a tune, timing belt etc…. It shouldn’t have failed but was out of warranty, I called Sabaru HQ, complained and they covered half of my ENTIRE service bill with all the extra work which basically covered the entire gasket repair. It went another 100k with no issues after that.

My point being reliability wise a toss up, toughness 4 runner, drive ability Sabaru.

I will also say that I am looking for a good used cross Tek for my 16 year old now, Sabarus eyesight collision avoidance is the best in the business.

Btw. Wife got a Nissan Pathfinder after the Forester as we needed a 3rd row for the kids, wish the Ascent was around back then.

Last edited:

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
For the 15 year old, pick the car with the best safety features. Automatic braking, best lane departure warning system.

Which does your wife prefer? Have her drive them. Mine ended up liking a smaller car better, so she has a RAV4. Which is an excellent soccer mom car.

OP
Theringworm
Great info. Thought about the Highlander but it doesn’t do it for me. May be I secretly want the 4Runner in hope I’ll sneak away to the mountains with it.

Subaru is appealing. Maybe it’s because I don’t want to be labeled as a tree hugger that I am hesitant lol. The Ascent is more of a Mom ride where the Outback is a little more hipper of a vehicle. Not that I care what my kids drive down the road but they obviously would pick the 4Runner first . Between the Subarus they would prefer to drive the Outback I would bet over thr Ascent.

But, the intended purpose is a “Soccer Mom” car first. She has driven the 4Runner & Telluride . Headed to drive the Ascent today.

One feature I failed to mention is safety which some of you have pointed out. I live in the Permian Basin of West Texas where huge oil trucks and young dumb guys think they have to race from stop light to stop light. We have the highest rate of MVC’s in our county for th entire state . Safety is key. Hence my hesitancy to drop down to a RAV4 or something smaller. I like the 4Runenr because it sits up higher than the other 2. We tried this experiment 2 years ago with an Lexus IS250. Wife totaled it within 6 months by pulling out in front of someone because she could see over the hood of the big truck next to her.

Last edited:
I would test drive all three. Those were the 3 we looked at when by wife bought her Subaru Ascent. She liked the 4Runner but the Ascent was more comfortable going down the road. We have 70k on her's and only routine maintenance so far. It runs on regular full and has some get up. I'll be honest it is just as good as my GMC diesel (ko2) in the snow. Has to do with how the car transfer power to the tires that need it. We are happy with it and I've thought about adding a forester to the mix as a third car for us that will go to the kids down the road.

4Runner was my first choice. Buddy has 400k on his and still going strong.

But as you the wife needed more of a road vehicle and the Ascent was a better ride on the ones we tested. But I'm used to my diesel.

I would have no problem taking hers hunting and it will last way past 200k.

You will know when you drive them which one is going home with you guys.

Plus hers has the tow package. I only use it for the sxs or ATV on occasion.
F9891957-F79B-4307-AF74-9F145514FC6E.jpeg8BB84CCC-4114-4390-9F78-B09B2CE93BE0.jpeg882786AD-3FD1-498C-8D96-73AC78A45151.jpeg
This last picture was only to move the trailer as I didn't have my truck.

Attachments

• E08635A5-63FF-4C3D-9814-8F9A521F88CC.jpeg
    E08635A5-63FF-4C3D-9814-8F9A521F88CC.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 19

kpk

WKR
If it's just for driving around town I'd lean towards the Kia. Current gen 4runner tech is pretty dated for what I'd want in a daily driver in town. If it had to be off road capable then 4runner.