Which Toyota 4Runner?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I know we have some serious Toyota guys on here, wanted to tap into your knowledge. I do NOT want to hear from haters or about another vehicle. I've never owned a Toyota.....

My daughter is going to be driving this year, and I'd like to have a vehicle that I can also use for hunting/scouting the rough roads around my way.

I see there are several different models, TRD/off road etc. Are these actual features that are worth it, or are they cool acronyms for soccer moms? I guess I'm asking which models is best suited for hunting. Or could a few aftermarket adjustments save a few bucks and give me the same benefit?

What year(s) do you recommend? Don't want to go more than 6 years old, not afraid of new, but rather save a few bucks on a lightly used vehicle.

Finally, she likes the OD green color....this made me smile-have no idea if it was a factory color and what years?

Appreciate any and all 4runner advice for my needs.

Thank in advance-

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good morning Crusty Crab Beer Drinker

I am a proud new owner of a 4Runner TRD off-road premium. This thing has a lot of features and it is seemingly designed for pretty serious off roaders. I like my new vehicle but honestly, I think a decently appropriated SR5 would be fine for most folks. I do feel like mine will have a good resale value just not sure the extra initial cost is worth it for most folks.

That said, it definitely is good to have for me because this thing will be going off road plenty. The problem with Toyotas particular the forerunner is the delay in getting them and the cost. I say this as a Toyota guy - that’s all I’ve owned in the last 30 years.

The other thing is to check out which colors are available for which model designation. I’m super happy with mine and will definitely recommend getting one if you’re OK with no discount price. I had to wait about three months and would not have got this if someone else had not backed out of the purchase.

Wellsdw

WKR
The green should narrow your selection drastically, because I believe it’s only available in the trd off road models.

I think trd sports are just badging and hood ornaments.
Trd off road has actual performance feature

That said my wife has a 23’ sr5 premium (sunroom, leather)

LostArra

WKR
I bought 2010 Trail model new. Still own it. It has a bunch of terrain settings I've never used except for the "crawl" mode which can be handy.

My only complaint is the rear storage area floor slides out for "convenience". It's stupid and does not allow a flat floor when back seats are folded down. I would hope they fixed that on newer models.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks all-great info.

Is there any year(s) to avoid-such as known issue/bad design?

The design hasn’t changed in years, they’re solid. I don’t particularly care for the one I have. Underpowered and they just seem to wander on the road for the lack of a better term. Ours is loaded, TRD OR but really, off roading for most is when they back over their flower bed, ours included. Wife barely drives it.

I’m a Toyota guy, love Tacomas, the 4Runner…. Eh, not a big fan m. I can’t see how anyone would use it as a hunting vehicle. FYI, gas mileage not great, and ride could be better.

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
i like the older v8s with low miles personally. That engine is impossible to kill. And even the new v6s dont come close in power. But if you have to go with a newer one, and plan on doing anything sketchy, get the TRD, for the rear locker, skid plates, and upgraded suspension.

Just my opinion, but with the price of a new one, an older v8 with really low miles would be the way to go and could be updated with a new stereo, suspension and exhaust and would last forever. And you would still have 10 or 15k leftover.

If I were buying a 4Runer (or Tacoma) the feature I would look for is the locking rear differential. I believe the TRD Off Road (and higher trims) would have it. The TRD Sport and SR5 do not if I understand it correctly.

I haven’t tried it on the 4Runner, but I’ve had the crawl control on my Tacoma in use for hours. That tecnología has to be used to truly understand how great it is. It will take you through places that you as a gas and brake driver cannot. Engage and let the truck drive.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Know what you’re buying and whether you need it. There has been some true rear locker availability in Toyotas and the 4Runner.

But also a lot of guys running around with an auto LSD or A-trac who tell people they have a rear locker. Not the same.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got a 2021 Venture model. It sits between the TRD Pro and TRD Off Road I believe. It’s got crawl control, rear locker, has the manual 4wd lever instead of the dial. Basically all the stuff the TRD Pro has, minus the skid plate and Fox shocks.
I’ve been happy with mine, and got it specifically because it was the lowest price point I found at the time that had the rear locker.
I’m my experience running dirt roads that can turn to impassible gumbo in a rainstorm, having the locker gives about the same increase in traction as going from 2wd to 4wd. There’s been several times in my Xterra that I had before, that the locker got me out of a situation where I don’t think I would have been able to otherwise. My use has been strictly in the context of getting into hunting and fishing spots though, not recreational 4 wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The locker can be added aftermarket, but the cost doesn't make sense. Much better to get it already featured if you can.

MudBugVa

FNG
I have owned/used 4runners from years 1986-2016 and all of them have been extremely capable off-road, even in stock configurations. Lockers, crawl control, etc can put these vehicles on a higher plain for true off-roading, but if you are mucking around on rough roads those features are not necessary.

7mm-08

WKR
Agree with others' recommendations on the TRD Off Road (and the older Trail) model. The locking rear differential, skid plate upgrades and crawl control features make 4Runners legitimate off road vehicles with virtually no upgrades. That being said, our 2020 SR5 will likely never see a dirt road because that's the wife's ride and she's into shiny things. I've been a Toyota guy since 2000 and the Gen 5 4Runner would not be my first choice as a hunting vehicle. The older and smaller 4Runners are another story.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
Thanks all-great info.

Is there any year(s) to avoid-such as known issue/bad design?
i would stick with gen 5. i think the newer ones finally got an extra gear in the tranny. i like mine but only complaint is milage is utter crap,, i think an extra gear could give it a few more mpg's. and aftermarket goodies are priced sooooooo ridiculously high due to the "overlanding" crowd.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good morning Crusty Crab Beer Drinker

I am a proud new owner of a 4Runner TRD off-road premium. This thing has a lot of features and it is seemingly designed for pretty serious off roaders. I like my new vehicle but honestly, I think a decently appropriated SR5 would be fine for most folks. I do feel like mine will have a good resale value just not sure the extra initial cost is worth it for most folks.

That said, it definitely is good to have for me because this thing will be going off road plenty. The problem with Toyotas particular the forerunner is the delay in getting them and the cost. I say this as a Toyota guy - that’s all I’ve owned in the last 30 years.

The other thing is to check out which colors are available for which model designation. I’m super happy with mine and will definitely recommend getting one if you’re OK with no discount price. I had to wait about three months and would not have got this if someone else had not backed out of the purchase.
Pics or it didn’t happen 😉

My first car was a 98 4 Runner and I loved that car dearly. It is bomb proof and I dont know of any owners that would speak of ill of the car or brand. TRD is nice but a waste of money in that a bone stock 4 Runner can go just about anywhere you need to go. If it were me I would get a used one as there are so many people who spec the crap out of the car to drive to the mall! Anything around 50k miles and the car is just warming up. Cant say that about a lot of vehicles.

MattB

WKR
As stated before, the current model has only had minor updates since 2010 so there are no years in your time window that should be better than others. It all comes down to what features you want.

Likewise previously stated, if you want the green color it will essentially lock you into a specific trim level/features.

UncleBone

WKR
As stated before, the current model has only had minor updates since 2010 so there are no years in your time window that should be better than others. It all comes down to what features you want.

Likewise previously stated, if you want the green color it will essentially lock you into a specific trim level/features.
That army green is hard to find too.