Which Toyota 4Runner?

Which trim x5? guessing not the M, cause if it were, I dont think youd miss the toyota too much. Other than when you wanna go offroad of course.
I got the X5 XDrive 50, not the M... It's got a lot of power with the turbo V8 (mid 400's I believe) so it goes pretty good. I just miss the utility of of a bigger SUV and the durability/bulletproof nature of the Toyotas. Also the scheduled maintenance on the BMWs is crazy, it always needs something and eats through tires.

UncleBone

WKR
I got the X5 XDrive 50, not the M... It's got a lot of power with the turbo V8 (mid 400's I believe) so it goes pretty good. I just miss the utility of of a bigger SUV and the durability/bulletproof nature of the Toyotas. Also the scheduled maintenance on the BMWs is crazy, it always needs something and eats through tires.
Definitely not as reliable as the toyotas are!! The x5m, and the audi rs7 are the two sickest cars ive driven. Took the x5m up pikes peak on a tuesday, no bikes, and barely any tourists. What a time! The exhaust on those is so good!

UncleBone

WKR
If anyone has an older one for sale under 8k in Colorado (or anywhere really), thats in decent shape, let me know. I am looking for one. Hope this doesn't take the thread off topic or anything. It doesn't sound like OP is looking in that price range either. Every time I find a decently priced one, it is gone before I get a response back.

Fatcamp

WKR
If anyone has an older one for sale under 8k in Colorado (or anywhere really), thats in decent shape, let me know. I am looking for one. Hope this doesn't take the thread off topic or anything. It doesn't sound like OP is looking in that price range either. Every time I find a decently priced one, it is gone before I get a response back.

Up your budget to say 12k.

Get it in cash and keep it with you.

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, check it every hour. Be ready to go, NOW.

Use several search terms. Four runner, 4runner, 4 runner, etc.

I bought my 4runner in the Denver area and did these things. Guy couldn't believe no one had even come to look at it. Didn't have the heart to tell him that spelling out Four Runner doesn't show up in searches and his location was just outside the search area for Denver.

Good luck, keep us posted.

UncleBone

WKR
Up your budget to say 12k.

Get it in cash and keep it with you.

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, check it every hour. Be ready to go, NOW.

Use several search terms. Four runner, 4runner, 4 runner, etc.

I bought my 4runner in the Denver area and did these things. Guy couldn't believe no one had even come to look at it. Didn't have the heart to tell him that spelling out Four Runner doesn't show up in searches and his location was just outside the search area for Denver.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Thanks man, I know I need to be looking constantly, and if I have to take an uber to look at something I might not buy, so be it. I am working on getting a little more money together. Had another 3k cash in the budget, but dog had emergency surgery a few weeks ago. Currently looking for a job, but its not the easiest without wheels. Sold my car in september, and then ate a sh*t sandwich. But, can only blame myself for that. Definitely gonna keep trying, and hope I get lucky on something like that. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there looking for an old toyota, and paying ridiculous prices doesn't help.

WKR
I think those are new ones. Not a big fan of the stripe but to each their own.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
If it had to be a 4runner, 4th gen gets my vote. Although at 6'2" I feel it's lacking headroom.

Personally the better rig for your money is a 100 series cruiser or lx470. If you're not into serious off roading they would be more comfortable/ reliable than an 80 series.

We have a 4th gen 4 runner and a couple of landcruisers of various vintages in the family. The frame and running gear of the 4 runner is nowhere near as beefy as the cruisers.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

UncleBone

WKR
Just scored an 03 gx470 yesterday with a perfect service history, all done at lexus. 140k miles and about as clean as they come. Can't post the embarrasing parking lot picture my buddy took, but Ill share a pic or two when I get some decent ones. Really excited for what I can do with this beast!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just scored an 03 gx470 yesterday with a perfect service history, all done at lexus. 140k miles and about as clean as they come. Can't post the embarrasing parking lot picture my buddy took, but Ill share a pic or two when I get some decent ones. Really excited for what I can do with this beast!
Ya I forgot to tell ya to look for those too, glad you found something!

I’ve always had Toyota trucks/suv. I had a gen 3 4Runner for about 5 years sold it last year for more than I bought it for. Replaced it with a 2020 4Runner. Really wish I didn’t get rid of the 98 4Runner, just a solid rig and easy to work on. Currently looking for a 95-98 Land Cruiser, but thats another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any Toyota guys with 4runner experience/expertise that I could PM?

I have a few elementary questions regarding a potential purchase.