Help a newbie?

I'd like to get a muzzle loader for elk.
I'd like to shoot out to 300 yards.
I'm in Colorado so it'll need to be a 50 cal with open sights.
I'm hoping for 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
I do long range shooting and reloading so I'm familiar with some of the basics but need advice where to start in selecting a gun. I've looked online at all the different systems but would like some real world knowledge.
I found out this past week that I was getting a muzzle tag for this fall (Sept 14-22 )so I don't have time to get one built. I'll need to buy one from a store.
What would you recommend?

Last edited:

Dennis

WKR
I would recommend you get closer using a muzzleloader and open sights. 2" at 100 yards is good enough and most likely that will increase your harvest rate, skill as a hunter and decrease your wounding loss rate.

300 yards with a muzzleloader is a poke.

Given the roughly 2000 fps muzzle velocity and G1 BC in the low 0.2's for most Colorado-legal setups, it's pretty hard to find a system effective past 200 yards.

WKR
You should have known about your tag long before last week.

What was the holdup ?
Leftover draw maybe. I'd say 4 weeks is not enough time to buy new and become proficient to 300 yards but I'm a grumpy old guy lol. Killed a few elk with blackpowder and always under 100 yards so you should be fine. Since you are looking for new, can't help much. Best of luck.

SkyHunter

FNG
Knight makes a few different really nice models that would likely be quicker than getting one custom built. My buddy has their Mountaineer and it's phenomenal. They're a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.