Heirloom Hunting Gear

My grandpas 30-06 is pretty special. It's a mid 1950s Remington model 760 topped with the original scope.

The defining feature is the 4 inch cut in the stock from when he leaned it up against a tree he was cutting and caught it with the chainsaw. A true one of a kind.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I have a .22 rifle and revolver of my grandpa's. Only one other grandkid remembers him, and getting guns to my brother in England is more of a hassle than its worth. Also, you won't be able to get them from me, lost them in a boating accident.
Honestly a framed picture of them hunting or scouting with you, with handwritten note from you about that day would probably mean more than an item they can purchase. If it's something thats no longer available, well thats a different story.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have grandpa's Savage 99 in 250-3000 Savage (he gave that to me after he retired from the field) and his Remington model 8 in 35 Remington is coming to me since he passed last year. Blued metal and wood stocks scream heirloom to me. My modern arms with synthetic stocks and the carbon barrels I lust after probably won't conjure up the same feelings in my descendants, but maybe. I could see a nephew wanting to carry my 280 as it's accounted for a lot of game, is superbly accurate and unlikely to wear out. Too early to call at this point.

I am another Lefty. My kid will get a pile of guns. 90% left handed. At only 22 yo....he's an old soul and a chip off the block. He understands Filson and Pendelton. He understands quality clothing and footwear. He will get anything my wife allows. Which is thousands in wool clothing, Filson gear and custom guns.

What I most wanted when my father passed was his pocket knife and money clip. They were carried daily for decades. Very principled dude. Never wavered. His custom plate was RIGID....and he was. Ran completely on principle. And I took much of that with me, and understand it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My dad didn't really hunt, he was a flyfisherman......so nothing hunting related from him. And I have three daughters so not sure what they may want or be able to use except maybe bino's and guns. Although my 16 year old has already said she wants one of my wall tent setups. I guess the other two daughters can fight over the other one if I still have them when I die.

Pdzoller

WKR
My grandfather gave me my first shotgun and rifle. He also taught me how to work on stuff and when he passed he left me his tools. I absolutely love working on stuff in the shop and hunting with his things. It’s like having him with me again. All my stuff will go to my cousins sons since I won’t be having children.

Lambfish

FNG
I have my great-grandfather's upland bird vest, the elastic shell holders are slack with age but it still gets out for a hunt or two every year. Paired with his 1948 sears catalogue, bolt action, 16ga it makes for a nostalgic day in the field. The generations between him and me did not hunt, but I've found so much joy reconnecting to that heritage.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciate them. The quotes below really hit home with me.

My havalon might not have much "soul" but I think it will have value from it being "mine" and something they saw used over the years. I've been documenting my hunts out west (most can be found on this site) and really like the idea of adding coordinates to the story (Sorry boys, gonna redact those for the rokslide version). I'm now planning to document more MI hunts as well with coordinates. I like the idea of them recreating one of dad's old hunts with his 30-06 one day.

This is the correct answer. The memories made in the field and on the water are the most cherished of things. The tools passed down are just reminders of those experiences that made a mark.

I have a stack of maps my grandpa used to plan fishing trips with his buddies. How I wished they would have just marked some spots down! Taken some notes in the margins!

Every hunting season I tell myself I should start journaling my hunts. I have a group of friends I get out with a few times a year for a kayak, canoe, or hiking trip as well. I think starting this summer it would be nice to start journaling about trips and hunts throughput the year, details of where I was, what I enjoyed, etc, so that hopefully someday my kids or grandkids could have a feel for the things and spaces I was most passionate about. Maybe even be able to re-create a trip or two if they wanted.

I have some of grandpa's fishing stuff and a hunting knife, they get used from time to time just for some connection to him. It would be fun to be able to go back to see the places he enjoyed on those trips though. I tend to buy good gear, so I should have things that my kids will be able to use if they want to. But I want a way for them to experience the places I loved after I'm gone, a way to see them through my eyes.

Wildone

FNG
I have my great-grandfather's upland bird vest, the elastic shell holders are slack with age but it still gets out for a hunt or two every year. Paired with his 1948 sears catalogue, bolt action, 16ga it makes for a nostalgic day in the field. The generations between him and me did not hunt, but I've found so much joy reconnecting to that heritage.
Laughing here... I have some of those vests as well. Can't get a leg in the pants though. :) They are back next to the wicker fishing creel and single shot break open 12 guage with a hammer. Thanks for that.