Heirloom Hunting Gear

Netherman

WKR
What do you have from your dad and what to you plan to give your kids?

With my second kid on the way, this is something I’ve been thinking about. I’m not from a family of hunters so I haven’t inherited anything but think it would be really cool to pass something down to my sons someday.

Knives and guns seem common just not sure mine would mean as much. My havalon is practical but low on “soul” and a lefty 30-06 won’t be particularly useful, unless kid number 2 is also a lefty.

Any suggestions on things you’ve received or given that mean a lot to you?

I didn't come from a family of hunters, and will never have kids...

But I was given a hand braided leather lanyard with a brass whistle and compass.

It'll go to someone important to me.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from someone that is lefty and gets handed down right handed guns anything of sentimental value is something I cherish. Even if I only hunt with it one or two days a season still makes me think of the person that gave it to me and the animals harvested with it over the years. Your kids might not think anything of it right now while they are young but later in life they will really appreciate it. My favorite gun is my Dads first rifle a 30/30 he bought for $50 back in the day and shot his first deer with and hunted for 20 years with before he got another rifle. Love hunting with it just knowing he once was my age holding the very same gun with the same hopes I do now

My dad didn’t hunt or fish so this one really has me thinking. He’s given me a couple guns i’ll keep forever and pass on and I still have the first knife he got me when I started getting into the outdoors with friends.

Outside of guns and knives Im kind of stumped on what else would get passed down. Good optics?

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stack of maps my grandpa used to plan fishing trips with his buddies. How I wished they would have just marked some spots down! Taken some notes in the margins!

Every hunting season I tell myself I should start journaling my hunts. I have a group of friends I get out with a few times a year for a kayak, canoe, or hiking trip as well. I think starting this summer it would be nice to start journaling about trips and hunts throughput the year, details of where I was, what I enjoyed, etc, so that hopefully someday my kids or grandkids could have a feel for the things and spaces I was most passionate about. Maybe even be able to re-create a trip or two if they wanted.

I have some of grandpa's fishing stuff and a hunting knife, they get used from time to time just for some connection to him. It would be fun to be able to go back to see the places he enjoyed on those trips though. I tend to buy good gear, so I should have things that my kids will be able to use if they want to. But I want a way for them to experience the places I loved after I'm gone, a way to see them through my eyes.

Rich M

WKR
I think your hand-me-downs take value when the kids put value on them. Anything from a ratty old flyrod onward...

You can start a tradition if the kids are still young enough and they'll keep it if it is fun and makes em feel good.

handwerk

WKR
My three kids all have a pre 64 model 70s and I have some some put aside for grandkids. When I'm gone they can split up my model 70's, which are to be used and enjoyed and not sold. I also have a couple knives I'm fond of, and some good optics.

Doesn't matter if you're 30-06 is lefty or not. I'm sure they'll cherish it.
My dad was a lefty and I got his lefthanded recurve bow. Taught myself how to shoot lefthanded because of it and got pretty good with the bow and still practice lefty rifle and shotgun on occasion. Nice skill to have in my opinion, wouldn't have don't it if I hadn't inherited the bow.

The first time I heard my daughters heart beat, I went out and bought a rifle in hopes of having a boy to hunt, fish, hike and camp with and pass that rifle to them one day. I'm actually happy to be a girl dad now and plan on doing the same with her.

I'm with rich m above, doesn't really matter what the item is, the kids will put value to it.
Make memories and at some point you might see one of them take interest in gun or knife or jacket or whatever. Make note to hang on to it, whatever it might be.

Congrats on the second!

Decker9

WKR
As I get older, I find I cherish any item left behind by my past grandparents. It took me a long time after their passing to understand it all, but now, these items are truly priceless to me.

My main heirlooms consist of old custom classic firearms which get used a lot. I still use the same beam scale, powder cup and spoon that my grandad taught me on when I was a wee boy. I could never imagine using anything else. My grandmother was Canada's national small bore champion off and on for many years in the 50’s-70’s, her trophy’s badges and news articles are things I look at often. I can’t wait to meet her some day.

I don’t think it really matters what the item is, when your kids grow up, they will cherish any and every piece I’m sure.

Coldtrail

WKR
Virtually all my gear is something with sentimental value, I havent actually purchased a rifle or shotgun in 30yrs because i'm using vintage stuff from friends and family. I have a few old antler handled knives, 2 canvas packs and lots of traditional archery equipment, replacing any of it for the latest and greatest wouldnt be right.

The neat thing with all of it regardless who it came from is the strict instructions from the giver to "wear it out". Anything I have left someday will go to like minded hunters that will take them afield and promise to "wear 'em out. Each long gun is going to get a laminated card placed behind the butt plate explaining how I came into possession of them, a few interesting stories behind some of them.

Tx_300wsm

FNG
I didn’t come from a hunting or gun family but my wife did. We’ve bought 2011’s that will be handed down to each of our kids. I also have a Remington 1100 that is currently ~40 years old that will be my daughters. My FIL is refinishing a browning A5 from the 1930’s IIRC that will be handed down to my son one day. My wife also still hunts with her great grandmothers .243 that will be passed down eventually as well.

I've got a bunch of nice gear but not a thing that I'd see as an heirloom. It's all just tools and will probably be obsolete in the near future. Memories and experiences on the other hand..

It wasn't easy for my dad to scrounge up the money for my first gun (an 870 express) when i was 12. That's the only reason I still have it. It killed a bunch of stuff but haven't used it in years. It rusts if you look at it wrong and tends to get sticky with most of the 3" waterfowl loads i used to shoot. Awe shucks, i suppose this thread gave me a little more reason to appreciate it looking back.

I have my dad's old 742 Woodmaster that sits in my gun safe. I still use my mom's old Marlin lever 30-30 every Fall. That little gun has killed a lot of deer. Couple old fly rods from my grandfather who passed long before I came along. I also have my dad's first whitetail rack (1955) along with his first mulie and antelope racks.
Quite honestly, my prized possession is a cuckoo clock my parents received as a wedding gift 64 years ago that hangs in my dining room.

I have an old MSR stove of my dad's. I posted about it here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-old-gear-thread.285373/

It was the original Model G which pioneered the remote fuel stove concept. I have never seen him use it, but I still cherish it because I know he loved it. I don't have much else of his because he's still alive and in pretty good health.

As for my kids, maybe my MSR WhisperLite stove? They're kinda classic, bulletproof, and will probably still be relevant for cold weather camping for a long time. I don't really have any cool rifles. Modern bows don't seem like heirloom type stuff. Seems silly but maybe my Thermarest sit pad? That thing seems like it'll last 100 years. Maybe some of my backpacks, SG Kifaru etc.