Heavy Bolt lift on Tikka 6.5

Ucsdryder

WKR
Congrats on the bull!

Would you say your handloads and chamber are the root cause of the issue or do you think it’s from not cleaning for 100 rounds?

I have about 6 rifles that get shot minimum 3 days per week average, and another 6 that get shot average 1 day per week minimum. I don’t think any of those guns have been cleaned in 2 years, and 5 of them have had barrel swaps in the last 3-6 months from wearing out due to round count.

Not a single one has had a major malfunction or barrel life “lessened” by not cleaning. Does this mean everyone should not clean ever? I don’t know. Does it mean that a failure at 100 rounds can routinely happen? Not likely based on what I’ve seen, but not impossible.

Heck, in the last 12 months I’ve seen multiple samples of the most expensive bolt actions you can buy, completely fail due to a little bit of blowing dust getting into the action. Multiple times. Crap happens.

Mitigating risk is a smart strategy in my opinion, but I don’t think the use case/result here was totally due to a simple lack of cleaning. The numbers I’ve seen on a dozen guns recently would lead my thinking towards correlation does not imply causation, due to your minimal data set.

Would you agree?
It’s impossible to say. Did you see that chunk of carbon. I didn’t measure it but it was way bigger than .003” where most shoulders get bumped. I bet closer to .010”.

Here’s my questions, why not clean a rifle before season? Is there a downside in your eyes? Assuming you have time to foul the barrel of course. Why push it? Why take a chance of getting something in there, whether it’s carbon or something foreign? I just can’t think of a good reason, unless one falls into the “cleaning damages the rifling” crowd, which is dumb.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It appears you are saying the goal should be never changing a vehicles oil?!?

Unfortunately in the short term we all have to shoot with the chamber we have, not the chamber we wish we had. I can see how it would make sense for a non cleaner to send the rifle to a gunsmith and have a looser reamer run in to widen the neck and/or throat. And you thought we would never agree on anything. Lol
Hahaha don’t speak logic to him.

And of course the answer is that it was a 1 off. If I thought something got into my oil at 100 miles should I change it or run it until it explodes and then say, it was a good run and post all over the forums about how many miles I got it to like a badge of honor.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I actually do enjoy technical conversations. I just enjoy them more when adults respect other’s experiences without constantly challenging them for the sake of always being right.

If that is what you think is happening, you are mistaken.
“Experience” is on a sliding scale. If @Ucsdryder stated that he is shooting thousands of rifle rounds a year- every year; and that he has 15 rifles and suppressors that with multiple different types of factory ammo will lock up in a hundred rounds, and offered to show me them- I would be curious and most likely drive to Colorado with cases of ammo in my truck to see what is happening…. Because I want to learn. However saying “this one time at band camp this thing happened, and therefore you shouldn’t play the flute” is not compelling, and it does not and should not outweigh a massive data set that says that isn’t the case.

Read my last post about changing a vehicles oil, then apply the analogy to guns. That’s what is happening with “technical” conversations. If you went to a truck forum and said your truck won’t start unless you change the oil every 100 miles and therefor your an idiot if you don’t change the oil every 100 miles, everyone would respond that you are wrong and to find the real issue.

Tiny sample sizes and ridiculously little actual experience is how the hunting and shooting world has gotten to the myth, old wives tales, and ignorance that it has. No one benefits from continuing that. Well, no one but social media feeds, gun writers, and companies.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s impossible to say. Did you see that chunk of carbon. I didn’t measure it but it was way bigger than .003” where most shoulders get bumped. I bet closer to .010”.

Here’s my questions, why not clean a rifle before season? Is there a downside in your eyes? Assuming you have time to foul the barrel of course. Why push it? Why take a chance of getting something in there, whether it’s carbon or something foreign? I just can’t think of a good reason, unless one falls into the “cleaning damages the rifling” crowd, which is dumb.
I would say it’s probably because my big game “season” runs from late August to late February every year.

March-July is shooting and practice with more shooting and practice mixed in when I have a week or two break between hunts during the “season”.

My use case is probably more rare, as most guys shoot a little bit “before season” and then hunt for a month or two tops, and then the rifle goes back in the safe for months.

If something is working for a guy or gal, and they get joy out of cleaning a gun, and helps with peace of mind before a hunt or whatever, then rock on with shoving crap down your barrel.

For someone who shoots year round and hates cleaning, and has seen zero down sides yet in two years with a dozen guns, then I’d say rock on with your dirty gun.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hahaha don’t speak logic to him.

I would question whether your belief of what that word means, is the actual definition.

And of course the answer is that it was a 1 off.

It’s easy to engage in a direct conversation with me; you can ask pointed direct questions and I will respond with pointed and direct answers. Of cause, that would require a good faith discussion.

If I thought something got into my oil at 100 miles should I change it or run it until it explodes and then say, it was a good run and post all over the forums about how many miles I got it to like a badge of honor.

Can you quote a single post of mine saying that if someone has a reason to believe that massive debris or obstruction got into their action, barrel, or suppressor to not clean? That is your analogy above, and I have never stated that.

Your position has morphed from the first time you and I discussed this, and even in this thread.

So here are some pointed direct questions:

1. How many rounds a year total are you shooting suppressed?

2. What are those rifles, barrels, chambers, and cartridges?

3. What is the ammo used?

4. How long between cleanings do you go with each, and what are the results? What average number of rounds between failures are you seeing?

5. How often are you tracking the zero of those rifles, and how are you doing so? What are the results?

OP
N
Generally no. But, that lot could be right on the edge, and then yes- some debris or fouling could cause issues. If that’s the case, scraping the chamber might reduce pressure issues for a bit, but they’ll come back.
I'm going to get a couple of new boxes and shoot them and see what happens. If all goes well I will mix in a fresh one of the lot I have and see what happens. Is there any risk to the gun if I get some of these heavy bolts now and again trying to figure this thing out?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is there any risk to the gun if I get some of these heavy bolts now and again trying to figure this thing out?

Risk, yes. Legitimate risk- not likely.

I would try some federal or Winchester factory ammo. No sense in introducing a larger chance of a variable again with another Hornady.

ElPollo

WKR
I chuckle about these arguments. In general, if someone claims a group is out to get them or that there is some sort of overarching conspiracy, it’s generally because they are unable to logically support their own arguments.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would say it’s probably because my big game “season” runs from late August to late February every year.

March-July is shooting and practice with more shooting and practice mixed in when I have a week or two break between hunts during the “season”.

My use case is probably more rare, as most guys shoot a little bit “before season” and then hunt for a month or two tops, and then the rifle goes back in the safe for months.

If something is working for a guy or gal, and they get joy out of cleaning a gun, and helps with peace of mind before a hunt or whatever, then rock on with shoving crap down your barrel.

For someone who shoots year round and hates cleaning, and has seen zero down sides yet in two years with a dozen guns, then I’d say rock on with your dirty gun.
Makes sense. I’ll admit my target shooting drops way off once season starts. Archery, ML, rifle, friends hunts, family hunts, it’s just too much to keep shooting, which is probably when I should be shooting the most!

That being said, starting over with a clean gun at the beginning still makes sense to me, but I actually enjoy cleaning a rifle, as long as I don’t have to do it often. Same reason I change the oil in my truck in September, even if it doesn’t need it. I will try and limit as many variables as I can.

There were a lot of people seeing pressure issues and wild velocity swings with hornady's 7 PRC factory ammo a year or so ago, so I wouldn't be shocked if it spilled over to 6.5 PRC as well. I'd suspect your ammo is the most likely culprit and try another brand before taking aggressive cleaners and brushing to your chamber's throat.

I wouldn't expect it from factory ammo, but if there is lubricant on the brass or chamber walls, it can prevent the brass from sealing during firing and create additional pressure on the bolt face.

There are cheap ($60) borescopes on amazon now if you want to inspect your chamber/throat for debris or significant carbon buildup causing an issue.

Congrats on the bull!

Would you say your handloads and chamber are the root cause of the issue or do you think it’s from not cleaning for 100 rounds?

I have about 6 rifles that get shot minimum 3 days per week average, and another 6 that get shot average 1 day per week minimum. I don’t think any of those guns have been cleaned in 2 years, and 5 of them have had barrel swaps in the last 3-6 months from wearing out due to round count.

Not a single one has had a major malfunction or barrel life “lessened” by not cleaning. Does this mean everyone should not clean ever? I don’t know. Does it mean that a failure at 100 rounds can routinely happen? Not likely based on what I’ve seen, but not impossible.

Heck, in the last 12 months I’ve seen multiple samples of the most expensive bolt actions you can buy, completely fail due to a little bit of blowing dust getting into the action. Multiple times. Crap happens.

Mitigating risk is a smart strategy in my opinion, but I don’t think the use case/result here was totally due to a simple lack of cleaning. The numbers I’ve seen on a dozen guns recently would lead my thinking towards correlation does not imply causation, due to your minimal data set.

Would you agree?
Are any of the chamberings you're shooting this much without cleaning significantly overbore cartridges? I'm a few hundred rounds in on a 6.5 PRC build without cleaning but interested to hear from someone who shoots a lot more.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There were a lot of people seeing pressure issues and wild velocity swings with hornady's 7 PRC factory ammo a year or so ago, so I wouldn't be shocked if it spilled over to 6.5 PRC as well. I'd suspect your ammo is the most likely culprit and try another brand before taking aggressive cleaners and brushing to your chamber's throat.

I wouldn't expect it from factory ammo, but if there is lubricant on the brass or chamber walls, it can prevent the brass from sealing during firing and create additional pressure on the bolt face.

There are cheap ($60) borescopes on amazon now if you want to inspect your chamber/throat for debris or significant carbon buildup causing an issue.

Are any of the chamberings you're shooting this much without cleaning significantly overbore cartridges? I'm a few hundred rounds in on a 6.5 PRC build without cleaning but interested to hear from someone who shoots a lot more.
17. HMR, 17 Mach 2, .223, 22 Creedmoor, .243, 6mm Creedmoor, .260 Rem, 6.5 CM, and .308 see the most use by far.

SDHNTR

WKR
If that is what you think is happening, you are mistaken.
“Experience” is on a sliding scale. If @Ucsdryder stated that he is shooting thousands of rifle rounds a year- every year; and that he has 15 rifles and suppressors that with multiple different types of factory ammo will lock up in a hundred rounds, and offered to show me them- I would be curious and most likely drive to Colorado with cases of ammo in my truck to see what is happening…. Because I want to learn. However saying “this one time at band camp this thing happened, and therefore you shouldn’t play the flute” is not compelling, and it does not and should not outweigh a massive data set that says that isn’t the case.

Read my last post about changing a vehicles oil, then apply the analogy to guns. That’s what is happening with “technical” conversations. If you went to a truck forum and said your truck won’t start unless you change the oil every 100 miles and therefor your an idiot if you don’t change the oil every 100 miles, everyone would respond that you are wrong and to find the real issue.

Tiny sample sizes and ridiculously little actual experience is how the hunting and shooting world has gotten to the myth, old wives tales, and ignorance that it has. No one benefits from continuing that. Well, no one but social media feeds, gun writers, and companies.
Fair enough. Nothing there I disagree with. It’s just your approach.

Look, you are a smart guy with valuable knowledge to share, I don’t think anyone disputes that fact, but your message can be lost on some due to the abrasive way in which you challenge anyone with opposing views. For your own benefit, you could dial it back.

I used to be the same way. I had to be right and would go to great lengths to prove it every opportunity I got. It cost me relationships. Then I got married to a wonderful woman, and realized there’s a better way…