Heart attack?

OP
hunting1

hunting1

WKR
Good luck with things, it can take some time to adjust. Exercise, exercise, exercise....best blood pressure intervention and with fitbit and blood pressure cuff at home keep a log, because we all tend to run higher BP in the MD office. That way if meds need to be adjusted you can show your doc how things are running. Like others have said dizzy when first getting up is common but usually gets better with time. Be well
Thank you, already applying for hunts and walking!

Airborne

FNG
My step dad had a heart attack a couple years ago, chest pain, he didn't want to go to the ER but my mother made him where stints saved his bacon.

Couple months after hearing about that I am woken up by some chest pain I had never experience before. I'm in my late 30's at the time and in good shape but with my step dad's experience still fresh in my mind I decide to go to the ER. Man, when you walk in saying you are having chest pains they sure rush you to the front of the line! I had multiple tests done, all the bells and whistles and guess what--I had flipping heart burn was all, indigestion!

That ER Trip cost me $3,800 out of pocket but it was worth it as a just in case. I got some good natured teasing by my wife but we agreed as a precaution it was ok. Just wish the health care system wasn't so dang expensive.

Murdy

WKR
Not much to add, but I had a heart attack at 41, I had high cholesterol and smoked, so they didn't look too much beyond that. Subsequently, I had a piece of my colon die from lack of oxygen and, 5 years later a pulmonary embolism. Turns out I have a blood disorder that makes my blood prone to clotting. If you continue to have problems, keep this in mind.

Like you, I got lucky and had the chest pain and it going down my left arm. I had had shortness of breath for a couple years and sluffed it off. I had 3 blocked, 99%, 95% and a 80%. Three stents and I haven't had any symptoms in the 5 years since. I was operating on an "empty tank" for a couple years prior to my stents.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
good thread! my symptoms were indigestion and particularly a little burn in throat and slight tightness in left shoulder when on light hikes that we do daily on very moderate uphill grade. It would hit me in first few minutes. I did not have a heart attack.

Primary Doc indicated it was likely angina and ordered stress test with nuclear imaging.

that testing showed defective EKG under stress and the imaging clearly showed lack of blood flow under stress on one part of the heart.

Next step was echocardiogram and heart catheter/angiogram showing 90% blockage of what I guess they all the Widowmaker,, LAD artery. That was stented yesterday. And another 70% blockage will be investigated with a cath and flow velocity meter in a week to decide if stent or not.

I coulda/shoulda had this all checked out at least 45 days sooner based on symptoms but sure glad did not have a heart attack that surely was looming. Regret not acting sooner.

Cardiologist recommending supervised cardio PT which I will do.

check out of hospital today.

A certain NV FCFS tag is about to hit the market soon as I get it turned in bc hunt is too soon to be cleared for that bowhunt.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
good thread! my symptoms were indigestion and particularly a little burn in throat and slight tightness in left shoulder when on light hikes that we do daily on very moderate uphill grade. It would hit me in first few minutes. I did not have a heart attack.

Primary Doc indicated it was likely angina and ordered stress test with nuclear imaging.

that testing showed defective EKG under stress and the imaging clearly showed lack of blood flow under stress on one part of the heart.

Next step was echocardiogram and heart catheter/angiogram showing 90% blockage of what I guess they all the Widowmaker,, LAD artery. That was stented yesterday. And another 70% blockage will be investigated with a cath and flow velocity meter in a week to decide if stent or not.

I coulda/shoulda had this all checked out at least 45 days sooner based on symptoms but sure glad did not have a heart attack that surely was looming. Regret not acting sooner.

Cardiologist recommending supervised cardio PT which I will do.

check out of hospital today.

A certain NV FCFS tag is about to hit the market soon as I get it turned in bc hunt is too soon to be cleared for that bowhunt.
Calcium scan before trouble helps for others reading this.

TheGDog

WKR
Calcium scan before trouble helps for others reading this.
Uh Brother? Could you please elaborate on what is meant by "Calcium scan"? I apologize, but seems just a hair too ambiguous to know what kinda of testing you might be referring to, as you can imagine.

49ereric

WKR
Uh Brother? Could you please elaborate on what is meant by "Calcium scan"? I apologize, but seems just a hair too ambiguous to know what kinda of testing you might be referring to, as you can imagine.
2 dimensional scan that measures calcium build up in the heart. Cost me a $100 cash they won’t take insurance. Find out where you can get it done and walk in no appointment was needed.
Doctor suggested it. Most of the build up is in the widow maker artery.

TheGDog

WKR
I remember even back in the day... my GrandFather talking with me about the subject of the arteries and blockage. He had to have a Quadruple Bypass due to the plaque build-up. (Freaking chest-spreader and everything! Staples left behind on the Sternum! Eek!) He was born in 1918, so he'd have been a young man during the Great Depession, so I'm sure they ate a lot of inexpensive, hi-fatty-foods during that era to get-by. I'm sure that set in motion perhaps not so great eating habits. I wanna say he was like his early 70's? Which would have put him around like 1988 on up?

Recanting from memory here... He mentioned, even back then, that there was this reDONKuloulsy expensive injection they can _sometimes_ get away with doing instead? Where they inject it just a hair upstream of the affected area with plaque build-up, and it whatever it is, melts-off the plaque? If it hasn't gotten "too bad" yet?

Just sharing the story. Don't know if that injectable med for the plaque is still a thing or not.

trepuah

FNG
This is crazy. True nightmare story but unfortunately common. You wouldn't believe how many people come into the ED with not even pain, but just an odd sensation in their chest, only to find out they had a heart attack that began days ago that they have been putting off. I am so sorry for you and hope this does not end up forcing you into too much lifestyle modification.

On a side note, I think everyone out there owes it to themselves to do their due diligence an look into referred pains. In the case of MI (heart attack) people often feel pains in their left arm, upper back, or even their jaw that are directly correlated with their ongoing condition. Knowing these things can literally save lives!

God bless.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Age 20 perfect shape major heart attack and 3 months into being married my condition was a runner’s heart (low heart rate) normal was 41 when I running and when I was resting would fall into the middle teens and I would black out.
I was running 8-10 a day and 10-12 Saturday and Sunday. So at the age of 20 I I’ve had a pacemaker and I’m now 64 doing great had to stop running all together, but I still stay active and eat healthy. I go to a cardiologist once a year and have had 4 pacemaker replaced and today I don’t need one, I have the wires still in me, but my heard has adjusted to the heart rate of 65 now.
God was on my side and for that I’m thankful.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Still sitting in the hospital now. 52 years old good eater, never smoked, good physical condition overall and love being in the outdoors. I had a heart attack early Wednesday morning after ignoring several warning signs on Tuesday. Chest pressure, nausea, dizziness from walking up a set of steps and pain and numbness in my arms. I was “too busy” to make a big deal about it until I passed out and luckily my wife was there to call the ambulance. Most people’s comments have been “of all people I never thought YOU would have a heart attack”. I would agree with them and that mentality almost killed me. High cholesterol mainly from genetics. Stints yesterday and feeling much better today but seriously reflecting on life. Go get checked ESPECIALLY if you are feeling good.

"Are you some kind of robot that has sensors for your heart arteries? Define "check engine light came on""

I had a bad pain and made me go the ER, was satire. Had small discomfort but kept ignoring it.
i dont blame you for taking precaution its the right thing to do. i dont think you get much answers here as well as u I'll do from your doc.