Heart attack?

hunting1

WKR
Any of you on here had a heart attack? I got a scare last weekend or had a blocked artery, Was heading out snow shoeing when the check engine light came on. Was in denial since I am still fairly young, eat healthy, and exercise regularly.

I have stints in and no damage to my heart but wondering what heading into the wilderness will look like. Thanks

wyosteve

WKR
I have several friends who had early heart attacks. Even though they ate healthy, exercised, it got them. My personal opinion is that genetics plays a very large role compared to other factors. The one guy's normal cholesterol level was about 400. Even with meds, he couldn't get it under 300. Heart attack at 42, lived, but needed quadruple bypass at 60! Just my experiences, not saying you fall into that group.

OP
hunting1

hunting1

WKR
I have several friends who had early heart attacks. Even though they ate healthy, exercised, it got them. My personal opinion is that genetics plays a very large role compared to other factors. The one guy's normal cholesterol level was about 400. Even with meds, he couldn't get it under 300. Heart attack at 42, lived, but needed quadruple bypass at 60! Just my experiences, not saying you fall into that group.
Yeah they said genetics, eating, then lifestyle so this was a shock. I don't have any family history, cholesterol was still in limits. They told me they see a lot fit ultra runners type so not uncommon.

Tod osier

WKR
Any of you on here had a heart attack? I got a scare last weekend or had a blocked artery, Was heading out snow shoeing when the check engine light came on. Was in denial since I am still fairly young, eat healthy, and exercise regularly.

I have stints in and no damage to my heart but wondering what heading into the wilderness will look like. Thanks

Good thread... I just got diagnosed with atherosclerosis at 50, so I'm acutely interested in people's experience. Normal weight (over in the past), fit, eat awesome, OK cholesterol - kinda pissed about it right now.

Yarak

WKR
I had a heart attack 5 years ago
No high cholesterol
No family history
No symptoms until it happened
Had one artery that was 99% and they popped a stent in and I’m GTG
Dr said my blockage was caused by inflammation and stress due to a surgery I had 5 years prior
Exercise as much as possible
I live what I call a 80/20 life when it comes to my diet
That is 80% serious and 20% fun
I’m 54 now

If you got the Covid vax I would look into the heart side effects. Lots more research coming out of the dark recently and it’s scary. Other countries are a bit more public with their research about heart issues as a side effect.
There's a lot of scary info that's starting to trickle out now about various heart issues as a side effect. Might be worth discussing with your doctor, OP.

OP
hunting1

hunting1

WKR
If you got the Covid vax I would look into the heart side effects. Lots more research coming out of the dark recently and it’s scary. Other countries are a bit more public with their research about heart issues as a side effect.
I have asked my doctor about this several times because I swear after the third shot I felt like crap since.

I had a heart attack 5 years ago
No high cholesterol
No family history
No symptoms until it happened
Had one artery that was 99% and they popped a stent in and I’m GTG
Dr said my blockage was caused by inflammation and stress due to a surgery I had 5 years prior
Exercise as much as possible
I live what I call a 80/20 life when it comes to my diet
That is 80% serious and 20% fun
I’m 54 now
Glad you are better and sounds like we had the same ordeal.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Covid itself or Covid vax… It’s a long termpotential side effect of the virus itself (natural or vaccine version). Covid itself (non vax version) had a higher rate of heart related issues than the vaccine just fyi.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Going to need yearly cardiologist check ups. Be prepared to be constantly cold now that you are on blood thinners. Glad your still around and take care.

Dsnow9

FNG
Covid itself or Covid vax… It’s a long termpotential side effect of the virus itself (natural or vaccine version). Covid itself (non vax version) had a higher rate of heart related issues than the vaccine just fyi.
So you’re saying the spike in heart related issues is higher in unvaccinated people or people that had covid? That’s some statistical manipulation and does not separate the groups vaccinated vs unvaccinated. At this point almost everyone has had some version of Covid and yes there all kinds of long term side effects of it. I personally know 3 people that were diagnosed with miocarditus (spelling error probably) as a direct side effect of getting the mRNA vax.

Here is the link to the cdc article.

Currently they are monitoring but other countries are further ahead in the studies and the results are terrifying. I will try to track those articles down.

I don't want to go political but this isn't true from the stats I've seen 4% increase in unvaxxed vs 300% increase in vaxxed. I'd have to dig up all the sources, there's been a lot. The new narrative now is they're blaming the virus rather than the shot and the numbers don't support it but they're pushing that hard because it's undenyable now. I'm guessing we need to sidebar this discussion though so as to not derail OP's thread, somebody care to make a side thread we can discuss it on?

Glad you are OK!

What does it feel like? Is it a pain on the left side of your chest (where you heart is)? Was it hard to breath? Did you pass out? Curious to hear what to look out for from a symptom standpoint from someone who has actually experienced it

Yarak

WKR
Glad you are OK!

What does it feel like? Is it a pain on the left side of your chest (where you heart is)? Was it hard to breath? Did you pass out? Curious to hear what to look out for from a symptom standpoint from someone who has actually experienced it
When mine happened it started with a dull pain in my left collarbone and then went up both sides of my neck
Then radiated from my left armpit to my elbow
Felt like someone was sitting on my chest

CRJR45

WKR
Yup , 3 years ago 100% blockage off the widowmaker . I was out on the boat alone , started hurting and just got worse . Got the boat put away and off to hospital . 1 stent and I'm doing good now , as far as I know .
Mine was just a piece of plaque that came loose from the artery wall , at least thats their best guess .

Tmac

WKR
@Doc Holliday

No heart attack, but I got a funny tickle in my chest stalking a buck. We were hidden behind a hill so marching up a gentle slope at a fairly brisk pace. A general center of the chest tickle, not real specific in terms of location. I stopped walking and it went away, stalked some more up a gentle hill, it came back. I‘m a slow learner, did that 5x before I figured out something was wrong. Buck survived too, he was a dandy for SE MT, mid 170’s.

What I learned is it presents in many different ways. What I tell folks now is when exerting, any new or different tickle, tingle or pain in the chest or arm warrants an immediate stoppage of the exertion and trip/call to a doctor. In my case I got 3 bypasses and a new aortic valve. Terrible family history got me despite not carrying excess weight and eating healthy stuff. The only symptom I had before the tickle was a little more than normal heavy breathing when exerting. It sneaks up on you, I just thought it was from getting older.

Two of the coronary artery blockages were what they call widow makers and the valve was nearly non functional. 5 coronary arteries had blockages, they fixed 3 and said the other 2 I did‘t need. They could not believe that was my first symptom, said I should have had quite severe pain, probably a massive heart attack too, but nope. Doing well now and feel great after being fixed. Marked improvement.

My Dad had his widow maker blocked at age 49 laying in bed one morning. He was shocked a total of 18 times during 3 different codes before it was all said and done. Spent a week knocked out in the ICU but he made it through though. He worked a physical job in the oil field and went to the gym 4x a week. Doctors say he has small veins/arteries. My Grandpa had his at 67. He was also very active, he actually got done feeding cows, closed the gate, shut off the pickup and just died. Both happened on New Years Eve 8 years apart.

My hunting mentor (uncle) on my Mom's side died 10 years ago at the age of 58 from his.

One of my action items for the new year is find a doctor and start doing annual physicals yearly at a minimum. Only 35, but you never know. And I'm sick of walking around on New Years Eve waiting to fall over and die.....