Hawaiian Goat

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Who’s done a DIY feral goat hunt in Hawaii? Want to start planning one but I’m torn between trying public land or trying to find some private (want to stay away from doing a guided hunt). I‘ve hunted axis deer and mouflon so I want to add another one to my Hawaiian adventures.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion I wouldn’t even bother trying to do private. It’s hard enough to hunt private as a resident. There’s a lot of goats in Hawai’i on public land and it’s a pretty easy hunt if doing with a rifle. Here is most recent Billy I took on public.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpeg
    IMG_1411.jpeg
    634.3 KB · Views: 133

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have and concur. In Oahu anyway the hunt isn’t for the faint of heart and extremely demanding (mainly because it’s steep and warm). But there are a ton of them and it’s a good time.

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I have and concur. In Oahu anyway the hunt isn’t for the faint of heart and extremely demanding (mainly because it’s steep and warm). But there are a ton of them and it’s a good time.
I didn’t even know Oahu had goats. I’ve stayed there 5 times totaling two months and never even knew that LOL. I always thought Maui was the place to go for goats.

Tahoe, are you from Oahu or have you done it as a non resident? Everything about this sounds like just what I want from a hunt.

We will be going again this year and i really wanna try to hunt goats but trying to figure it out is honestly almost harder because there are so FEW rules which sounds weird I know.

In my opinion I wouldn’t even bother trying to do private. It’s hard enough to hunt private as a resident. There’s a lot of goats in Hawai’i on public land and it’s a pretty easy hunt if doing with a rifle. Here is most recent Billy I took on public.
Diverc was that hunt on oahu? That looks like an absolutely awesome time.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Tahoe, are you from Oahu or have you done it as a non resident? Everything about this sounds like just what I want from a hunt.

We will be going again this year and i really wanna try to hunt goats but trying to figure it out is honestly almost harder because there are so FEW rules which sounds weird I know.
Not from there but lived there a few years and did the hunt during that time. This was 5 years ago though and based on how things were on the island, it may have changed a lot.

We used to have a gate access code to get into the area that the local natural resources guy provided. You’ll want to confirm the current process.

Be ready to work. It’s hot and high and tough to get a clean shot.

Not from there but lived there a few years and did the hunt during that time. This was 5 years ago though and based on how things were on the island, it may have changed a lot.

We used to have a gate access code to get into the area that the local natural resources guy provided. You’ll want to confirm the current process.

Be ready to work. It’s hot and high and tough to get a clean shot.
Thanks for the reply! I will have some time this week I plan to call the DLNR. Out of curiosity did you rifle or archery hunt it?

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Diverc was that hunt on oahu? That looks like an absolutely awesome time.
This was on Maui.They are pretty dumb here on Maui though. Haven’t hunted Oahu but from what I know it’s steep and exposed. So lots of water and sunscreen. Get plenty goats though.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thanks for the reply! I will have some time this week I plan to call the DLNR. Out of curiosity did you rifle or archery hunt it?
Did both. Got close on archery and mis pinned at 30 yards and missed.

Got one on rifle at ~150yds.

I’ll say “anchoring” one is of concern and obviously with archery that’s tough to do. They can easily get in an unrecoverable spot (at least safely and in a timeframe that the meat isn’t all spoiled). As fun as archery is, rifle is the way to go IMO.

RockSlip

FNG
Are you flying in from the mainland to hunt? What's your plan to get the meat/hide back to the mainland?
After I saw Rinella hunt the Hawaii goats it has interested me.

Are you flying in from the mainland to hunt? What's your plan to get the meat/hide back to the mainland?
After I saw Rinella hunt the Hawaii goats it has interested me.
I killed a couple critters in Hawaii last December. Had a friend with a freezer I was staying with, so froze up the meat, put it in YETI carry-on-sized bag, a backpack as my personal item, and checked my gear. No problem getting it to another freezer before it thawed.

They shipped the heads to me after they got cleaned up.

Hoping to try goat hunting on my next trip to Kauai. Is there anywhere to donate meat? I dont know if I can get much more than some back straps and a roast or 2 back. I don't want to waste anything. Or is there anyone interested in taking it if successful?