Hawaii hunting/fishing

2ski

WKR
I'm going to Maui the end of March for a week and wouldn't mind doing a little fishing, maybe hunting. For anyone that's been or lives in Hawaii, are there any hunting opportunities that exist at that time of the year? I know there are hogs you can hunt on some islands. Can anyone recommend a guide or captain for some deep sea fishing? Last time I went the captain that I went out with sucked. He just wasn't very friendly. No fish caught except a skip jack by a middle school aged girl that was woken up to go land the fish and then went right back to sleep. She could've cared less. It was kind of funny. I don't equate a successful outing by the amount of fish caught but it would be nice to have a good guy for a captain in the absence of catching fish.

Hiking the volcano and surfing will be good motivation to stay in hunting shape. A little hunting would be the icing on top.

ScottP

WKR
If you are going to Hawaii and want to hunt you need to get a letter of exemption from fish and game. Since you are not a HI resident, you need to send a photocopy of your drivers license and hunter ed certificate. You will need to do this before you travel there.

I haven't been to Maui, but take a look at the fish and game site for public access areas. Hunting seasons are long and liberal on the exotic-invasives.

You might poke around bloddydecks. some of those guys can point you in the right direction.

SDHNTR

WKR
Maui lacks public land for hunting, so if you want a good chance you will likely need a guide. My good friend has hunted with Maui Hunting Safaris a number of times. As for fishing, try Start Me Up out of Lahaina.

OP

2ski

WKR
Lahaina would be great as we are staying at the south end of Kaanapali so it would be convenient to get dropped off and let the others keep the rental car for the day. I will look into Start Me Up. Thank you.

kickemall

WKR
If you haven't done it give spearfishing a try. Can't help you with Maui but there should be a specialty shop that could get you lined out with gear and instruction. Can be as simple as a mask, snorkel and pole spear. Combines hunting and fishing and is a lot of fun as long as your comfortable in the water.

OP

2ski

WKR
That's a good idea. I'll look into that too. I am definitely comfortable in the water.

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
When is your trip? I will talk to some friends that live over there and see if I can't put you in contact with some people. I live Oahu and can't speak for rules and areas of Maui, but hunting is year round, just certain hunting zones have different regulations. I would check up on the DLNR website, and there is a PDF on the zones and their regulations.

OP

2ski

WKR
Thanks. I will check out the websites you both suggested. We will be there the last Friday in March thru the first Friday in April.

sdr

FNG
On Maui you can shoot some feral goats or stick a pig in hand to hand combat. Maui hunting safaris runs some of those hunts. Also, you are a short boat ride from Lanai where you could hunt free range Mouflon sheep. I did that with Steve Gelakoski of Huntlanai.com. That is a real hunt in some steep country. Steve is a good guy and a good guide. I hit the timing wrong and was there during a bad drought and I did not see a trophy sheep so I have to go back this April. There are also around a billion axis deer there which my son and I both got. That is some of the finest eating game I have ever had.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows what regulations are in place for internationals going to Hawaii and hunting? I will be there next month and wouldlove to set something up.

Ive hunted Maui probably 10 times. Rodney at Maui Hunting Safaris is the dude to call. I've got a couple top ten SCI goats with Rodney. Maui is one of my most favorite hunting destinations.
Arrow one is high fence fyi.
Also, on the Big Island Pat Fisher can hook you up for hunting and one of the guides Kevin is a World Class Marlin guide and you could do a combo sheep hunt/marlin trip. Man I'm jealous. If you do go PM me for additional details. Good luck!

DWarcher

WKR
Guys I know there are a lot of good outfitters out there but there are also a ton of great public land DIY opportunities if you do your homework.