Hawaii Hunt?

My wife wants to go to Hawaii and I told her we could go next spring as long as she brings a friend and I can hunt instead of waste time sitting on a beach. Looking for recommendations on what Island to go too. I'll be bow hunting. Looks like Lanai is pretty locked down so kind of rules that one out.
  • Looking at early April ish.
  • Don't really care what species as long as it'll be open in March/April.
  • Do not want to use a guide.
If there's not good options I'll just spear fish but would prefer to hunt. Haven't spear fished since moving to AZ.

Eric11Z

FNG
My wife wants to go to Hawaii and I told her we could go next spring as long as she brings a friend and I can hunt instead of waste time sitting on a beach. Looking for recommendations on what Island to go too. I'll be bow hunting. Looks like Lanai is pretty locked down so kind of rules that one out.
  • Looking at early April ish.
  • Don't really care what species as long as it'll be open in March/April.
  • Do not want to use a guide.
If there's not good options I'll just spear fish but would prefer to hunt. Haven't spear fished since moving to AZ.
Were you able to find the info you're looking for?

I recently read about plenty of day hunts for trophy Axis in Maui. Looks to be about $3-4k for 2 days of hunting only. No rifle, lodging, shuttles, license, meals, or even processing included. Very high success rate.

I recently read about plenty of day hunts for trophy Axis in Maui. Looks to be about $3-4k for 2 days of hunting only. No rifle, lodging, shuttles, license, meals, or even processing included. Very high success rate.
Maui hunting safari is the big outfit on maui they are expensive but their area is loaded and they have good trophy quality and it shouldn't take you long with rifle. they are booked up well in advance though and charge accordingly. Arrow one is another outfit but they are expensive and high fence, that might be the one you are referring to. maui sucks bc all the deer are on private and nobody wants to give access and the public land just like most of Hawaii is either locked in by private or a wasteland.

Lanai is also expensive (outfit is Pineapple brothers) but logistics are a nightmare. They;ve been hit hard by drought and the island owner got a grant to shoot 2000 does, the population really suffering and trophy class is awful. They just had a meeting recently and from the aerial survey DOFAW did they estimated there was a decrease in 86% of the deer population in the cgma which is nuts. It's going to be a while before the hunting is decent there again.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 12.47.49 PM.png

Molokai would be your best bet for a reasonable guided axis hunt just make sure you get references or check reviews for a reputable outfit.

Last edited:

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Bojangles…where did you get that excerpt? I had to text Stan to ask about the survey but also asked my buddy who lives on Lanai and said get animals but all in town.

On Molokai just be careful of bovine tuberculosis which could be in deer too.

Bojangles…where did you get that excerpt? I had to text Stan to ask about the survey but also asked my buddy who lives on Lanai and said get animals but all in town.

On Molokai just be careful of bovine tuberculosis which could be in deer too.
was from the handout from the dofaw meeting on lanai couple months ago after they did the survey. it's junk there's too much ewes, no good rams. deer all dead or ran off to safety zones or town. No idea what they doing they at least need to bring back earn a ram tag so more ewes get killed.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I am not really a trophy hunter but will take a ewe or doe as much as a buck. Nice thing about the bucks are more meat. Love the shanks as I think they make the best osso bucco, even mouflon ewe shoulder roasted with butter, garlic, rosemary and whatever that other herb was is good. Ewe curry is bomb.

Hopefully next coming year or two looking at going mainland to try out that way. Never done mainland hunts so thinking a guide first to learn the animals somewhat.

FC4B6168-7E47-47AB-A0F8-597FE9EE0259.jpeg

Attachments

• A4050282-8616-40DE-9566-2B591C1A6804.jpeg
    A4050282-8616-40DE-9566-2B591C1A6804.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4078900D-F00F-40BD-8D23-E1BB729A2A27.jpeg
    4078900D-F00F-40BD-8D23-E1BB729A2A27.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 229EEB05-1676-43F0-AB84-A51CB10040E5.jpeg
    229EEB05-1676-43F0-AB84-A51CB10040E5.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
Hunted Lanai last month with my son during the youth hunt. I’m not sure I noticed that severe of a decline in animals, but it was a tougher hunt that others in the last couple years.

Was the survey done by DLNR or Pulama?