Have you moved out of state?

Beauseph

FNG
I think it'd be interesting to talk about/hear about why people left their home states and where they went.

Personally, I'm seriously considering leaving WI for a western state - primarily looking at Idaho, Montana, or Utah - probably in that order as well in regards to preference.

Several reasons:

1. Hunting / outdoor freedom is greater / more enjoyable
2. Mountains!
3. More conservative (lines up with my beliefs)
4. Slower pace of life
5. Something new, challenging

We will see what happens. I have a work obligation that prevents me from moving for 1-2 years yet.

Mojave

WKR
Little bit...

I am a Wyoming native, and I have moved around a bit.

Lived in 11 states and 8 countries.

Top things you can do after you move someplace new.

1. Not talk about where you are from.
2. Adopt the local accent (there was a old guy that lived in Casper, that worked at Rocky Mountain Sports that used to complain that Wyoming needed more southerners in a southern accent). News Flash "Wyoming does not need more southerners'.
3. Vote to the right
4. Don't compare it to where you are from (you left there for a reason).
5. Don't complain about what it does or doesn't have ( you chose it, it didn't choose you).
6. Know that no place is perfect.
7. Understand that there will be things you underestimate.
8. Know that every location has treasures, sometimes you won't find them until you have been there a while.
9. A lot of people from an area have never lived anywhere else. So they think what they have is perfection. I had some very dear friends in Las Cruces that were from there, and they can't sing it's praises high enough.
10. Every perceived garden spot has seasons, cycles, areas, and aspects that are down right ugly. The short grass prairie during a drought is pretty rough. Outside of the high alpine, we actually have a lot of rattlesnakes in the west.
11. We are not very diverse ethnically in the Northern Rockies, but have fairly hard lines the closer you get to Southern Idaho and Utah on religion. We are either Latter Day Saints "Mormon", Roman Catholic or a mix of Christian Protestant faiths.
12. We have a meth issue.
13. There will be nuanced changes to your vocabulary like "stop and go lights, bubler, davenport, brats" and so on that will have to be adapted. :)

OP
B

Beauseph

FNG
Little bit...

I am a Wyoming native, and I have moved around a bit.

Lived in 11 states and 8 countries.

Top things you can do after you move someplace new.

1. Not talk about where you are from.
2. Adopt the local accent (there was a old guy that lived in Casper, that worked at Rocky Mountain Sports that used to complain that Wyoming needed more southerners in a southern accent). News Flash "Wyoming does not need more southerners'.
3. Vote to the right
4. Don't compare it to where you are from (you left there for a reason).
5. Don't complain about what it does or doesn't have ( you chose it, it didn't choose you).
6. Know that no place is perfect.
7. Understand that there will be things you underestimate.
8. Know that every location has treasures, sometimes you won't find them until you have been there a while.
9. A lot of people from an area have never lived anywhere else. So they think what they have is perfection. I had some very dear friends in Las Cruces that were from there, and they can't sing it's praises high enough.
10. Every perceived garden spot has seasons, cycles, areas, and aspects that are down right ugly. The short grass prairie during a drought is pretty rough. Outside of the high alpine, we actually have a lot of rattlesnakes in the west.
11. We are not very diverse ethnically in the Northern Rockies, but have fairly hard lines the closer you get to Southern Idaho and Utah on religion. We are either Latter Day Saints "Mormon", Roman Catholic or a mix of Christian Protestant faiths.
12. We have a meth issue.
13. There will be nuanced changes to your vocabulary like "stop and go lights, bubler, davenport, brats" and so on that will have to be adapted. :)
A lot of things that I've accepted or understood but nonetheless a great list to reference.

We use bubbler, davenport, brats, stop and go lights.... unless you mean those are terms I'll be pinned as a foreigner for using? Lol!

It's an exciting change in the pursuit of happiness.

Mojave

WKR
A lot of things that I've accepted or understood but nonetheless a great list to reference.

We use bubbler, davenport, brats, stop and go lights.... unless you mean those are terms I'll be pinned as a foreigner for using? Lol!

It's an exciting change in the pursuit of happiness.
You will be a foreigner.

The good news is that most of the west except for small towns has a big turn over of people. So you'll fit in quicker than you think.

In my mind gaining folks from the Mid-West isn't a bad deal. Gaining folks from the South, California, Washington, Oregon and others that want to make it like where they left sucks.

Taudisio

WKR
Moved states at 25 due to politics. Was with an ex who had a cousin an hour away as a safety net. We broke up 2 months after the move. She went back, I didn’t and met my wife. Sucks not seeing my parents except for thanksgiving or Christmas, but all they do is bitch about their state. Can’t thank my stars enough for leading me to my wife and our little growing family. Feels like I moved to a different country and my politics align with most others in the area, not the northwest/populated part of the state though.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I've lived in most the Western States other than CA and CO/NM. Lived in 2 states back east and currently in a foreign country.

I haven't had issues with people being unwelcoming, but if you drive like an idiot with out of state plates you will draw ire. We also would refer to "Cidiots" who get their rigs stuck in the ruts/ditches at trailheads or in a couple inches of snow.

On your list I don't think any of them can go wrong. I would also look at AZ (not the best fishing) but Flagstaff/Snowflake are generally nice towns, good hunting. And during the winter only a 2-3 hour drive to Phoenix so you can get out of the cold. When my wife and I went to AZ to look for places to live she had a terrible allergic reaction, otherwise there is a chance that is where I would land up in the mountains.

Moved 20+ years ago after college...Just bought 70 acres there preparing to move back, just need another couple years as corporate hack to retire. Enjoy the ride!

KurtR

WKR
Lived in North dakota for a year after school and then moved back south to South Dakota. Spent 6 months in Oklahoma and that climate is not for me I need seasons

I left my home state for a job, then left that state for a job, then that state for a job, then on to the next state for job. Finally I moved back to State number 3 and have been here since 2000 still in my present career. I found hunting and fishing opportunities every where I moved. I learned lots of different methods and customs along the way. I would like to get out of Florida as its gotten too crowded but I think I am stuck here at my age and my skill set and career. I dont see myself as a retiree not working. Fortunately I have a career that always me a lot of flexibility to travel and I can work while traveling.

You will be a foreigner.

The good news is that most of the west except for small towns has a big turn over of people. So you'll fit in quicker than you think.

In my mind gaining folks from the Mid-West isn't a bad deal. Gaining folks from the South, California, Washington, Oregon and others that want to make it like where they left sucks.
I’d love to hear about what southerners do to change WY. Probably just make the food better.

wytx

WKR
Got married and moved to Wyoming 3 days later about 36 years ago.
Spouse went to school here and wanted to live here permanently.
No plans to move back or elsewhere.

jimh406

WKR
I moved from where I was born for work. Then, moved across the country for work. Then, moved out of that state for politics when I retired. Some people ignore politics and aren’t worried about how much their state infringes on their rights.

There isn’t a right answer.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Moved from Wis to Mt 38 years ago.

Back then NR elk tags did not sell out for a few days so if you put in immediately
you were guaranteed ( haha) a tag.

A friend and I put in, he got a tag I did not. That was the straw that broke the
camel's back. "Load up the baby, we're heading west!".

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Moved from my home state of WV to FL for a job, stayed there for 5 years, and just moved to UT for a transfer within the same company. Turns out the job here in UT is not what was advertised & so far I hate it. As much as I love the mountains & seasons, seriously considering moving back to FL once I satisfy my relocation requirements.

Reactions: ODB

go_deep

WKR
Moved from Wisconsin to Wyoming 12 years ago, there just wasn't work at the time we moved in it area, working out alright. Area I moved to has a lit of people coming and going for various reasons so it really wasn't a big deal. If your leaving an area where you have a lot of family around you the first 2 years will be the toughest.

Good luck!