Havalon Knives

Lawnboi

WKR
Heres a size comparison between the barracuda and piranta. The baracudas blade is much much thicker.

Keep in mind this is the long handled version of the cuda. The top blade is the fillet blade i like to use when processing meat at home.

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 43

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many blades does everyone pack? I picked up a piranta for next season but don't want to be over/under prepared on blades in the field. Elk and deer?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I figure 4 blades for an elk and 2 for a deer, but I've gotten use to using them. You may break a few til you figure out how much lateral pressure you can put on them.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Havalon Tracer-22. It's basically the same design as the piranta but it can use the 22 blades as well as the 60's. I prefer the 22 vs the 60 as I tend to poke holes in the cape more often with the 60 and my taxi is a very good friend, good enough that I get a the "what the hell?" speech for too many holes. We broke down 6-7 caribou with them then fleshed out the capes. Last year we broke down a cow elk with one blade and still had it sharp enough to accidentally cut my buddy's finger with it when we were done. The tracer just seems more versatile to me with a wider range of blades for different situations instead of only the 60's in the piranta.
Here is a description of the Tracer 22 off of Havalon's site:
The Havalon Piranta Tracer-22 fits the #22 surgical blade, the most popular blade used by professional taxidermists. As an added bonus, the Piranta Tracer-22 fits all of the blades in the 20 thru 25 range blades, plus our #60XT

Also the 22 blades can be changed without cutting yourself because the edge doesn't run all the way down to the handle as it does on the 60.

Last edited:

keep

Lil-Rokslider
what is the best way to sharpen them
Open the new blade and slide it on :)
I've never tried to sharpen one honestly. they seem pretty soft steel so I imagine you could. It's just less time and easier to change them. plus you can probably carry 2 doz extra blades for less weight than a sharpener

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Open the new blade and slide it on :)
I've never tried to sharpen one honestly. they seem pretty soft steel so I imagine you could. It's just less time and easier to change them. plus you can probably carry 2 doz extra blades for less weight than a sharpener

^^yep^^ And the blades are cheap enough.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I figure 4 blades for an elk and 2 for a deer, but I've gotten use to using them. You may break a few til you figure out how much lateral pressure you can put on them.

Thanks! I was thinking folks would say 12-18! That's amazing. I can't wait to try it out. The system just makes sense!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I was thinking folks would say 12-18! That's amazing. I can't wait to try it out. The system just makes sense!

It usually takes me 2 blades for an elk and 1 for a deer, but they are pretty dull by the end.

BTW, it is good to see you signed up, DrH. :)