Havalon Knives

shanevg

WKR
I just got my Piranta in the mail today. I decided on the Piranta over the Baracuda since I have a Cutco Hunting knife that I will pack with me when weight isn't a huge issue but I know I can rely on the Piranta when weight is a big concern.

BTROCKS

FNG
I love mine, one handle and 2 dozen blades weighs less than any other knife I have owned. I completely boned and caped a bull this year using only 3-4 blades. I do cringe everytime I see the guy on the show "MEAT EATER" using his as a fork, recipe for disaster...he will be reattaching his lips sooner or later!

Mthunter

FNG
I this is a great knife I used it so many times this year. I love the fact that I don't ever have to sharpen a knife again. It is light and you can store lots of blades just in case you don't know what your doing. This knife will stay in my pack.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just got my Piranta in the mail today. I decided on the Piranta over the Baracuda since I have a Cutco Hunting knife that I will pack with me when weight isn't a huge issue but I know I can rely on the Piranta when weight is a big concern.

Shane,

My guess is after you use the Piranta a few times, the Cutco will stay at home. If you use the "gutless" style of breaking down game, the piranta replaces everything: knife, saw, sharpener, etc.

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine so far. I have'nt used it in the field yet but it does make for a great pocket knife in the mean time.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really like the havalons. Great little knives and are lightweight. You can get 100 for $30 or so so at 3 cents a blade I don't bother to resharpen them. Still a good idea to bring along a real knife for joint work (I use the one on my leatherman), but I was able to do a whole moose and 2 caribou on one 60X blade. Granted it was duller than crap by the end of the second caribou, but i was determined to get it done. :D I might use a dozen blades a year so if you figure $30 every 8 years or so isn't too bad. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Anyone try the carbon steel or blunt tip blades they have on their web site?

Yep, the blunt tip blades are handy for fleshing if you have a tendency to poke through too often with a normal blade like me.

At a bar-b-que or some such eating and drinking party. Strange how you know whom you can gravitate towards that hunts as well. Talked about the Havalon and how well it does etc.. Told him I thought I did a pretty good job on meat with that "weapon", he said i do it better with a havalon than most............I'm a surgeon. I knew I bought the right knife for sure then.

I am too neaderthalish to not have a full tang knife. The ones I handled seemed cheap and weak. Vintage Gerber LMF for me. I can filet fish, gut deer, cut steaks or quarter elk with mine. It is HUGE to some people but I am used to it and use hand tools every day at work, and my plier, dawgs and dikes all double as hammers and my screwdrivers are chisels. That being said, I imagine I would get used to a Havalon if I gave it a chance.

bohntr

WKR
I use Havalon for backpack hunts, for sure, as they weigh almost nothing. One knife, couple extra blades, and you can de-bone and cape a critter in the back-country without issues.

For those who want a "stronger" blade and still like surgical blades, there is another knife that was out before Havalon. They're called TigerSharp Knives and they are lightweight and scary sharp as well. Exact same concept (replaceable blade) except thick blade and it's encased in metal allowing much more side torque. Here's a photo of one and the replacement blade.

Knife.jpg

Replaceableblade.jpg

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up last year after i got back from Colorado. Used it on 3 whitetails here in Iowa. Did 2 using gutless method. 1 blade for each deer. Then caped out my buck with it. It will be the only knife in my pack for the backcountry this year.

Mike7

WKR
The piranta is great. I only break blades when they are starting to get a little dull and I then unconsciously start trying to horse them through the tissue. Put a quick new blade on though and away you go. I read a post by Aron where he breaks down the amount of Piranta blades needed per animal for maximum efficiency, and I have had the exact same experience. (The only potential down side that I had last year was that my buddy and son could only watch me cut up almost the entire elk after their fixed blade knives were too dull.)