Haul road sept 19-25th.

wyosam

WKR
*primarily a question for AK residents since this is after NR season closes*

This is the time off I have to hunt this fall, and I’m debating dropping a moose hunt that I don’t currently have a partner for and instead spending that time on the haul road for caribou. Chances of meat in the freezer are much higher. I’ve been shooting my bow more since I was planning on an early spring trip up there. I can ramp my bow time up and be good to go by the 19th.

Question is has anyone hunted it during that time period? I know it’s getting close to rutty bulls, but if there is much rut behavior I can target young bulls or cows. I know it’s always a crap shoot on where they’ll be, but it seems like they should be around somewhere. Anyone free those dates and want to split fuel? I’m in Los Anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wyosam

WKR
I’m pretty firm on this plan. Might try to get out of town a day or two earlier. Hate to drive that far and not have enough time to feel like I gave it everything. Would be nice to hear more about the second half of the month though.

Last edited:

AK/ID

FNG
It would be great to hear from someone who’s done it during that time. Unfortunately, seems like most people only have experience in August/early September.

GLB

WKR
That time of year the weather can get very wintery. It also could be hot. If the herd is there you could have some good opportunities. If not it will be a lonely place. I have been there when the herd came through and it looked like the mountains were moving. I also have been there when it was nothing.

I have hunted there in August, September, and October. August has always been the best for me. October has been the absolute worst because of weather.

I’ll add that if there is one place that is unpredictable, it is the North Slope. For weather and animals.

OP
W

wyosam

WKR
That time of year the weather can get very wintery. It also could be hot. If the herd is there you could have some good opportunities. If not it will be a lonely place. I have been there when the herd came through and it looked like the mountains were moving. I also have been there when it was nothing.

I have hunted there in August, September, and October. August has always been the best for me. October has been the absolute worst because of weather.

I’ll add that if there is one place that is unpredictable, it is the North Slope. For weather and animals.

I’m hoping for cold and snow (though hopefully not to the point of spending a week tent bound. One of the things I don’t like about AK is much of the hunting “feels” too early. I spent 30 years preferring to kill elk in late November instead of beautiful September and early October days. Those are beautiful days to spend in the mountains, but I like cold and snow for filling the freezer. Wyoming isn’t the north slope, but I’ve killed enough elk in the 15-20 below range that I feel like I know what I’m getting into from that perspective. My original plan for this hunt was mid march, which I may still do depending on how this one goes.

GLB

WKR
I’m hoping for cold and snow (though hopefully not to the point of spending a week tent bound. One of the things I don’t like about AK is much of the hunting “feels” too early. I spent 30 years preferring to kill elk in late November instead of beautiful September and early October days. Those are beautiful days to spend in the mountains, but I like cold and snow for filling the freezer. Wyoming isn’t the north slope, but I’ve killed enough elk in the 15-20 below range that I feel like I know what I’m getting into from that perspective. My original plan for this hunt was mid march, which I may still do depending on how this one goes.

I would rather have it cold than hot. Never wanted snow while I was up there. Unlike Kodiak I do want snow. The North Slope is a place that you will never know unless you go. That’s why I have gone many times, some successful many not. Best of luck to you!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Guys I'd take great caution headed North after the Sept 7th. You should be prepared for harsh winter conditions that late. Snow falls sideways and blows hard in blinding whiteouts. I've seen it drop to single digits with high winds and bitter cold moisture that time of year. Especially with these El Nino weather patterns the past 2 fall seasons. If my buddies were going then, I'd opt out 100%.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Guys I'd take great caution headed North after the Sept 7th. You should be prepared for harsh winter conditions that late. Snow falls sideways and blows hard in blinding whiteouts. I've seen it drop to single digits with high winds and bitter cold moisture that time of year. Especially with these El Nino weather patterns the past 2 fall seasons. If my buddies were going then, I'd opt out 100%.
Curious why specifically Sept 7th? I've seen it snow up there in every month of the year, but the 7th seems pretty specific. Any reason as to why?

OP
W

wyosam

WKR

I’m hoping for snow and cold. It’s always been my preference. Meat care is much simpler, and it does a good job thinning out the crowds. Even the wind doesn’t bother me much, aside from the direct effect on visibility and arrow flight.