Has anyone made their own Aux fuel tank for a Generator

Luked

WKR
I have a small 3600 Inverter Generator and use it to run my camper when hunting at home in the winter. Or when needing a small heater in the tent when we camp and deer hunt.
The issue is the Generator will only run for about 6 hours on a tank of fuel.
I have been looking at trying to rig up some type of Aux fuel tank to be able to run the Generator all night.
My thought was to buy a seperate fuel cap and thread it with a barb fitting, Run a hose from another fuel can with the same barbed fuel cap on the fuel can and just let it gravity feed when the Generator tank gets low.

Have any of you done this before?
If so how did it work.

Rich M

WKR
They make those.

I have a Honda and they used to sell a cap that would accept a fuel fitting and can use a boat tank & hose to run it longer.

Do some google searches before you fabricate. You're on to a proven idea.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Actually just found one of the caps that has the fuel barb on it.

Wheels

WKR
Tried it with a non fuel injected generator, wasn’t great. The trick is to just get a trickle of gas going thru the hose into the generator, if you induce too much pressure it won’t work. That’s why I stick with Honda generators.

I replace the carburetor on the generator with a float bowl type. I used a 6 gal diesel jug with a hose to the carburetor. Just had to put the 6 gal jug above (higher) than the engine so gravity would feed it.

Just pull the hose off the bottom of the existing tank and connect to a bigger tank such as a boat tank.
Make sure the tank is high enough to gravity feed

Just pull the hose off the bottom of the existing tank and connect to a bigger tank such as a boat tank.
Make sure the tank is high enough to gravity feed
That's what I did. I have an Onan that sat for awhile and the tank went to 💩!
Just bought a 6 gallon boat tank, put valves and a pump bulb to get the siphon going.
Nothing fancy. Just put a rachet strap across the top.
Speaking of....I need to get it out and be sure she's all tuned up for the winter!

JDPAPA

FNG
Remove the hose supply that feeds the carburetor from the tank, add a tee barb fitting and small valve available off of AMA&&&N for cheap and feed it with a second tank that is high enough to gravity feed. An inline filter on the new line might be a good add as well.
You may want to add two valves one right at the hose barb/tee and one at the joint so that you are able to disconnect the hose easily without spilling fuel. They might even make some disconnects for this type of thing but I have not looked that up.