Seek Outside Stove Fuel Options

I ordered a SO tipi and stove this week, but I have wanted one for years. I understand the stoves are too small to last the whole night so I have been looking online to see what people have done to make them burn as long as possible. I was wondering if it would be a dumb idea to scavange a propane burner from an old bbq to put inside and run off a bbq propane tank for the nights I am out with the gf and dogs sleeping next to the truck. Seems like it would be easy to snake a fuel line through the bottom vent to the burner and just leave it on low for the night. Anything Im not seeing with this setup?

*zap*

WKR
Big buddy heater.

You can make a baffle for the top of the stove but that will just add some efficiency.

Last edited:

Ope

FNG
The bbq burner would lack the safety features of a propane heater. Propane heaters have oxygen sensors that shut the propane solenoid off when theres not enough oxygen present for complete combustion to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

EdP

WKR
The bbq burner would lack the safety features of a propane heater. Propane heaters have oxygen sensors that shut the propane solenoid off when there is not enough oxygen present for complete combustion to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
and are not very expensive- Buddy Heater

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Be care if using propane to heat the tent. It puts out a ton of condensation and its hard to keep your tipi from raining on you in the middle of the night. Then it freezes and rains more once it starts to thaw the next day

*zap*

WKR
Tipi with titanium stove = warm when up and feeding it/hanging. Warm a few minutes after getting it going in the am. Warm in your warm sleeping bag on your warm sleeping pad.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I bring my mr buddy heater to heat my tipi when I’m getting ready and dressed in the morning if I’m truck camping. It’s definitely nice to have to warm things up for short periods of time. Other than that I’ve learned my lesson with propane in the cold and snow. The stove will only stay really warm for about 15 minutes. If you can get a stove fan it’s worth it. Otherwise you will have a frost line on the bottom 2.5’ of your tipi and it’s 90 degrees at the peak when you stand up