Has anyone here started a small business that deals in exclusively intellectual property and offering a tech based service?

Loo.wii

WKR
I'm looking to start a business that would offer cyber security penetration testing and physical penetration testing to other small to mid sized enterprises. Schools, Law firms, community colleges, local governments, LE, etc.

In the current landscape cyber threats are only getting more sophisticated and the consequences of getting compromised are severe, and can cost hundreds of thousands to remediate in addition to the loss in business and legal liability you may be exposed to following theft of sensitive information. The Intent of this business is to offer services to identify, exemplify, and offer a path to remediate cyber and physical security vulnerabilities.

I myself have experience doing this type of work for the government, and I've also provided this service as a reserve service member. The team I have built up all come from the USSF and the USAF.
For the most part the overhead cost wouldn't be huge as I wouldn't need a physical space, and I already have most of the tech stuff necessary.
My question for the group is:

What are your personal experiences with starting a small business?? particularly one based in intellectual property and consulting? If so, how did you approach marketing?

I already have a general business plan written up. my only hang up is on getting out and interfacing with possible clients.

PS: If you would be interested in this type of service please reach out to me directly.

I'm looking to start a business that would offer cyber security penetration testing and physical penetration testing to other small to mid sized enterprises. Schools, Law firms, community colleges, local governments, LE, etc.

In the current landscape cyber threats are only getting more sophisticated and the consequences of getting compromised are severe, and can cost hundreds of thousands to remediate in addition to the loss in business and legal liability you may be exposed to following theft of sensitive information. The Intent of this business is to offer services to identify, exemplify, and offer a path to remediate cyber and physical security vulnerabilities.

I myself have experience doing this type of work for the government, and I've also provided this service as a reserve service member. The team I have built up all come from the USSF and the USAF.
For the most part the overhead cost wouldn't be huge as I wouldn't need a physical space, and I already have most of the tech stuff necessary.
My question for the group is:

What are your personal experiences with starting a small business?? particularly one based in intellectual property and consulting? If so, how did you approach marketing?

I already have a general business plan written up. my only hang up is on getting out and interfacing with possible clients.

PS: If you would be interested in this type of service please reach out to me directly.

Following along for insight as well. I’m a small business owner and I’ve worn all the hats within the business for the last 7 years and I can tell you that cash flow is something that is a big ticket item in my company. I can also say that I’ve hired a business consultant and am in the process of trying to systemize myself out of a lot of what he calls $10/hr task. I’m in the process of scaling my business and the only way possible for me to do that is to create more time by delegating or removing anything that doesn’t move the needle in a positive direction.

My next step is hiring a virtual assistant. They can be extremely affordable. Like $4/hr affordable and can handle almost any tasks you give them.

As far as marketing/website/social media goes you can hire a firm to handle all of that. However, there are less expansive options. For instance, I was quoted $2500 a month for organic growth on Google using SEO. And $4000 a month for direct google adds. This through a firm. The less expensive option is knowing where to look and hire direct and not go through a firm. I have not done this yet but is coming soon and by bypassing a firm and hiring ad hoc I’m probably looking at $400-$600 a month on organic and close to the same for Google adds.

Same with websites. Pay $4000 for someone to outsource it or hire the people they outsource to for a fraction of the price.

For virtual assistants or marketing or websites or even answering services here are three websites to explore that you can post adds to or search for countless services. I would be willing to bet that you could post a job add for exactly what you’re looking for and have someone that has done what you are needing and has a portfolio they can share on previous work.

Advice given to me on hiring - hire slow, fire fast.

Fiverr.ca
Virtualstaff.pa
Onlinejobs.pa

I’m no business guru by any means but I’m spending a decent amount of money for 90 days one on one with a business consultant. He’s pretty good at what he does and has owned over 55 businesses and has worked with over 550 businesses globally including multi billion dollar companies so I trust him. He has personally hired people from the above websites. You may not be to the point you need the above services however it’s there if and when you do!

Feel free to ask any questions but I may not have answers and I for sure can’t help you in the tech space. I’m m kinda of an idiot when it comes to technology. I will say that for a business to be successful, especially starting out, it takes 100% laser focus and dedication. What you put into it is what you get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Following along for insight as well. I’m a small business owner and I’ve worn all the hats within the business for the last 7 years and I can tell you that cash flow is something that is a big ticket item in my company. I can also say that I’ve hired a business consultant and am in the process of trying to systemize myself out of a lot of what he calls $10/hr task. I’m in the process of scaling my business and the only way possible for me to do that is to create more time by delegating or removing anything that doesn’t move the needle in a positive direction.

My next step is hiring a virtual assistant. They can be extremely affordable. Like $4/hr affordable and can handle almost any tasks you give them.

As far as marketing/website/social media goes you can hire a firm to handle all of that. However, there are less expansive options. For instance, I was quoted $2500 a month for organic growth on Google using SEO. And $4000 a month for direct google adds. This through a firm. The less expensive option is knowing where to look and hire direct and not go through a firm. I have not done this yet but is coming soon and by bypassing a firm and hiring ad hoc I’m probably looking at $400-$600 a month on organic and close to the same for Google adds.

Same with websites. Pay $4000 for someone to outsource it or hire the people they outsource to for a fraction of the price.

For virtual assistants or marketing or websites or even answering services here are three websites to explore that you can post adds to or search for countless services. I would be willing to bet that you could post a job add for exactly what you’re looking for and have someone that has done what you are needing and has a portfolio they can share on previous work.

Fiverr.ca
Virtualstaff.pa
Onlinejobs.pa

I’m no business guru by any means but I’m spending a decent amount of money for 90 days one on one with a business consultant. He’s pretty good at what he does and has owned over 55 businesses and has worked with over 550 businesses globally including multi billion dollar companies so I trust him. He has personally hired people from the above websites. You may not be to the point you need the above services however it’s there if and when you do!

Feel free to ask any questions but I may not have answers and I for sure can’t help you in the tech space. I’m m kinda of an idiot when it comes to technology. I will say that for a business to be successful, especially starting out, it takes 100% laser focus and dedication. What you put into it is what you get out of it.

I can tell you that $400-$600 a month in Google ads is the budget for a very small local business. 70-80% of that money goes to Google whether you use a big firm or an individual. The budget that was recommended to you of $4000 a month, is likley based on impression shares and there is no cutting corners on that.

On the SEO front, my company’s cheapest organic SEO product is $1750 a month.

$400 range is for local SEO. You can’t achieve those $4000 worth of results on a $600 budget without outsourcing to a 3rd world country. It’s technical and time consuming work. As someone who works in the digital marketing realm, I’d urge you to reconsider as you are going to get what you pay for here. You might not need to spend $8000 a month, but you’ll damn sure have to spend more than $600 a month to get results on a national level.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR

Fiverr.ca
Virtualstaff.pa
Onlinejobs.pa

Due to the nature of the service I would be providing, the legally precarious situation that I would be in if I let a foreign national touch PII or IP of US persons is something I will 100% avoid. The rest of your advice is solid though. thank you

I can tell you that $400-$600 a month in Google ads is the budget for a very small local business. 70-80% of that money goes to Google whether you use a big firm or an individual. The budget that was recommended to you of $4000 a month, is likley based on impression shares and there is no cutting corners on that.

On the SEO front, my company’s cheapest organic SEO product is $1750 a month.

$400 range is for local SEO. You can’t achieve those $4000 worth of results on a $600 budget without outsourcing to a 3rd world country. It’s technical and time consuming work. As someone who works in the digital marketing realm, I’d urge you to reconsider as you are going to get what you pay for here. You might not need to spend $8000 a month, but you’ll damn sure have to spend more than $600 a month to get results on a national level.

Completely understand. I’m only focusing on local level and again I’m no guru and yes this would be outsourced to another country.

Due to the nature of the service I would be providing, the legally precarious situation that I would be in if I let a foreign national touch PII or IP of US persons is something I will 100% avoid. The rest of your advice is solid though. thank you

I don’t blame you and had no idea in regards to your business. I’m n either case, I hope it works out for you! It ain’t easy, that I can tell you.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I don’t blame you and had no idea in regards to your business. I’m n either case, I hope it works out for you! It ain’t easy, that I can tell you.

Thank you man

Loo.wii,

The concept you are visualizing as a contractor is very intriguing. I'm curious if your workforce will be doing both the tech work of the cyber probing as well as the physical onsite work. If so, those highly specialized skills people will be a small pool to draw from, earn salaries commensurate with their rarity, and the end product would be quite pricey to those businesses you would contact with, or so i would imagine.

Would you then be concentrating on large corporations? If so, what market share is available there (I'd think they as corporations are already doing so in house)?

Is there a way to scale the idea for smaller businesses with less resources in an affordable product package and still retain your existing talent/ employees and create an acceptable profit margin?

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Loo.wii,

The concept you are visualizing as a contractor is very intriguing. I'm curious if your workforce will be doing both the tech work of the cyber probing as well as the physical onsite work. If so, those highly specialized skills people will be a small pool to draw from, earn salaries commensurate with their rarity, and the end product would be quite pricey to those businesses you would contact with, or so i would imagine.

Would you then be concentrating on large corporations? If so, what market share is available there (I'd think they as corporations are already doing so in house)?

Is there a way to scale the idea for smaller businesses with less resources in an affordable product package and still retain your existing talent/ employees and create an acceptable profit margin?

In theory my workforce would start as a contractor basis. I am not betting on the following but i know quite a few people who have skill in both areas that would certainly be willing to work with me and yes they have both sets of skills.

Recently I spoke to the chief security officer for a large community college and they had paid $60k for their 2-3 week assessment. Of course i would love to land a contract of that size but i am a small fish.

Large corporations either have this service in house or purchase this service on an annual basis

My target market is smaller organization with less robust budgets but certainly the attack surface that would allow for a malicious actor to cripple them. I recently ran one of these operations on a small community college and my small team was able to gain complete access to all their critical data (PII, and banking details) in minutes. We then gained full control of their network 3 hours after that.

Preferably I would like to provide this service to organizations like small colleges, school districts, LE, Law firms, businesses and other organizations that run medium sized. My plan revolves around scalability. In most cases a cyber pen test on a smaller organization can be run in its entirety by 1-2 operators, and could be finished within 2 weeks.

My main sell is the fact that no matter the cost of my service, a cyber incident by a malicious actor will cost you more. imagine if a bad guy got all the confidential informant data from a PD and posted it online? What if they got the banking info for all if your employees? The remediation cost would be 2 to 10 times more than my service.

So in short, yes there is a path toward mainting profitability and providing an affordable service.

In theory my workforce would start as a contractor basis. I am not betting on the following but i know quite a few people who have skill in both areas that would certainly be willing to work with me and yes they have both sets of skills.

Recently I spoke to the chief security officer for a large community college and they had paid $60k for their 2-3 week assessment. Of course i would love to land a contract of that size but i am a small fish.

Large corporations either have this service in house or purchase this service on an annual basis

My target market is smaller organization with less robust budgets but certainly the attack surface that would allow for a malicious actor to cripple them. I recently ran one of these operations on a small community college and my small team was able to gain complete access to all their critical data (PII, and banking details) in minutes. We then gained full control of their network 3 hours after that.

Preferably I would like to provide this service to organizations like small colleges, school districts, LE, Law firms, businesses and other organizations that run medium sized. My plan revolves around scalability. In most cases a cyber pen test on a smaller organization can be run in its entirety by 1-2 operators, and could be finished within 2 weeks.

My main sell is the fact that no matter the cost of my service, a cyber incident by a malicious actor will cost you more. imagine if a bad guy got all the confidential informant data from a PD and posted it online? What if they got the banking info for all if your employees? The remediation cost would be 2 to 10 times more than my service.

So in short, yes there is a path toward mainting profitability and providing an affordable service.

Man I wish I was tech savy like you when it comes to computers. I’m an idiot with computers and it hinders me within my own company. I’ve always been intrigued by people that have the skill set like you do and the ability to understand computers and programming and code like you do. I swear, some people are just born different. Lol

I see the value in your company though and I’m certain there is a market for it.

gbflyer

WKR
I would think some of the small regional medical care providers would be a good place to get customers. We have some in Alaska. Many owned by Native American consortiums which means basically unlimited federal dollars.

Beendare

WKR
Contractor here- over 40 years in business...multiple businesses actually.

Gaining that critical mass is the challenge. I would worry more about gaining that mass through sales before I spent a lot on consultants and such.

I know the 2 big companies I'm involved in wouldn't touch you...too risky.

The challenge in your business is Trust; How does a company know they can trust you? Most big companies hire another big well known [read expensive] security company solely due to the trust factor. My son works for a big security consultant.

It seems to me it's going to be about getting a bunch of references under your belt that you can use to gain other companies trust. You might have to work cheap for awhile until you get to critical mass.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Contractor here- over 40 years in business...multiple businesses actually.

Gaining that critical mass is the challenge. I would worry more about gaining that mass through sales before I spent a lot on consultants and such.

I know the 2 big companies I'm involved in wouldn't touch you...too risky.

The challenge in your business is Trust; How does a company know they can trust you? Most big companies hire another big well known [read expensive] security company solely due to the trust factor. My son works for a big security consultant.

It seems to me it's going to be about getting a bunch of references under your belt that you can use to gain other companies trust. You might have to work cheap for awhile until you get to critical mass.
That's my biggest hurdle so far, the companies that already care about their cyber security already are already paying their expensive folks. the organizations that need my help are probably too ignorant to realize it. I have a lot of networking to do.