Has anyone figured out a hunting bipod yet?

Have you compared the hatch to a MDT triple pull?
I have not. The last MDT I was around was an older model…not the triple pull.

It does look sweet. But weighing in at double the weight of the hatch, that’s a deal breaker for me.

I have not had a MDT in hand, but in looking at the specs, the Hatch goes lower, is lighter, and $600 less money!
The hatch bipod’s ability to go low is one of of them most underrated parts about it! I use it all the time!

WRO

WKR
I run the modular evolution bipod with 2 sets of legs, it’s the best out of all the ones I’ve owned/ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurley88

FNG
I’m in the market right now, and the Hatch is at the top of my list.

My main goal is short setup time and the Hatch’s versatility is what makes me lean in that direction. I’ve never much liked bipods (or tripods) in the field for that reason, and I’ve been toying around with a bag setup but their weight pushed me back to this internal debate.

Are you saying there’s enough play to affect accuracy to a meaningful degree? I’d hate to buy one then regret it. Having never used one, it’s tough to wrap my head around the issues being described.

My main goal is short setup time and the Hatch’s versatility is what makes me lean in that direction. I’ve never much liked bipods (or tripods) in the field for that reason, and I’ve been toying around with a bag setup but their weight pushed me back to this internal debate.

Are you saying there’s enough play to affect accuracy to a meaningful degree? I’d hate to buy one then regret it. Having never used one, it’s tough to wrap my head around the issues being described.
Had a hatch and took 3 deer this past year over 400 yards each with it. But I ended up selling it due to multiple areas of not being totally satisfied and replaced it with a mtn gear bipod and tripod setup. Will try this setup this year and see how it goes.

I don’t think it affects accuracy to a meaningful degree in a hunting situation. My only gripe with hatch is that it’s harder to get a heavy preload due to the rotating legs and lack of spiked feet.

My current setup is a RRS tripod for anything other than prone and an atlas for prone work.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Spartan for bipod heights. Tripod with quick arca attachment for everything above that. And practice. Lots of that. Standing kneeling sitting prone repeat. Add only items you carry in the field.

Hurley88

FNG
Yeah now I’m going to go out & try the tripod thing again. When I said I didn’t like tripods, it’s because they take too long to set up. But, I was tossing a bag over them and constantly fidgeting with the height. The thought of using a plate just might make the difference…

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Affect accuracy meaningfully? Probably not, especially with a little pre load. It’s just annoying because it would have been easy to improve upon the engineering to make it so much better, yet that didn’t happen.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Affect accuracy meaningfully? Probably not, especially with a little pre load. It’s just annoying because it would have been easy to improve upon the engineering to make it so much better, yet that didn’t happen.
I spoke with the owner of Hatch the other day and he's working on a prototype currently that addresses some of the complaints. I didn't get many details but I talked to him about getting me one to test prior to release. I need to reach back out to him to see what he decided.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Will be running the Kramer set up this year. It is light, can be bi-pod for prone or sitting. Can be a tripod set up and also double for glassing. Fits in my pocket and doesn’t weigh much.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I spoke with the owner of Hatch the other day and he's working on a prototype currently that addresses some of the complaints. I didn't get many details but I talked to him about getting me one to test prior to release. I need to reach back out to him to see what he decided.
The friction washer and screw that hold the legs on is ridiculous. It’s THE problem. I hope it’s replaced with a button. I’m glad it’s being addressed, but it also should have been done right the first time!

I would be open to it again if there are improvements made. But it was pretty heavy, clunky to use, and hunting in low 20s in would freeze and I couldn’t even deploy the legs. Pretty frustrating…

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I would be open to it again if there are improvements made. But it was pretty heavy, clunky to use, and hunting in low 20s in would freeze and I couldn’t even deploy the legs. Pretty frustrating…
Again, that silly friction washer. I didn’t have that problem hunting down into the single digits, but I can definitely see how it could happen.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The friction washer and screw that hold the legs on is ridiculous. It’s THE problem. I hope it’s replaced with a button. I’m glad it’s being addressed, but it also should have been done right the first time!
How many things come out perfect on the first try? Zero. You could always build the perfect bipod and let others use it and see how many are in 100% agreement. Odds of that are probably going to be zero. I like the Hatch, really like the tripod adapter leg they came out with they showed at the Expo. Would eliminate some redundancy with carrying both a tripod and a bipod, only need one now to do 99% of what I do. There's just no one sized fits all for everyone. Spartan makes great bipods too, but they're not perfect either. Ckye pods are nice, but $$$ and not perfect either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It was down to the Hatch and the MDT Cyke pod Lightweight double pull for me. For the reasons above with the Hatch, I went MDT. I hated the price, but it’s similar weight to the Hatch but has better rigidity and is an easier tool to use and deploy than the Hatch IMO. If Hatch can get the bugs worked out on the current design it will be very competitive. Neither are lightweight options, but I didn’t want a sub 10oz bipod which there are clearly better choices for if you do.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How many things come out perfect on the first try? Zero. You could always build the perfect bipod and let others use it and see how many are in 100% agreement. Odds of that are probably going to be zero. I like the Hatch, really like the tripod adapter leg they came out with they showed at the Expo. Would eliminate some redundancy with carrying both a tripod and a bipod, only need one now to do 99% of what I do. There's just no one sized fits all for everyone. Spartan makes great bipods too, but they're not perfect either. Ckye pods are nice, but $$$ and not perfect either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Understood and in most cases I’d agree, except in this case, it’s so obvious. Doesn’t take an engineering degree to realize that when a screw and a plastic washer is the main attachment point of your leg, then you are going to need a different mechanism to make the leg actuate/fold. I think most anyone can see how it would present problems to make the attachment point also your actuation system. Tighten the screw too tight (but stable) and the leggy no worky! Loosen the screw so that it works and the leggy too wobbly!

jjjones7

FNG
I gave up. I shoot almost exclusively off of the Blaser quad sticks (not available in the US as of yet so you have to get them imported from across the pond) After running them for a season I wouldn’t go back. So much quicker for me to get on game. I can hold vitals easily to 5-600 yards. Like anything new it took a bit of practice. I just carry mine as I would a Trekking pole and it has came in handy in that regard as well. I do still carry a bipod easily accessible in a side pocket of my pack for a 6-850 yard shot present itself. Blaser more markets it for the African type market but it’s perfect for me as a western states hunter. There is always some sort of terrain/vegetation barrier it seems preventing me from getting a lot of prone shots, nothing easier than staying standing and get a shot off within 2-3 seconds that you’re super confident in. A lot less movement involved as well when that animal is at alert.