Has anyone done a drop test on Leupold Vx5hd?

fwafwow

WKR
I will make a point to do some shooting this summer and post results, even though I'm sure some on here will turn it into a shit show again.

I was just being honest as to what I would be willing to do and post results.
Thanks in advance. More information is always good.

eric1115

WKR
What I've learned in my time here, is don't bother hunting unless your scope weights 2lbs +, has a reticle that was pulled right off the USS Ronald Reagan, could survive a nuclear blast Indiana jones style, cost minimum 1500$, have a minimum 5-25 zoom, 56mm bell, and come with a sandwich on the side.
SWFA fixed 6x at $219 on sale has entered the chat.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ridiculous? guess I'd have to agree to disagree as the only reason I have scopes is to take game and imo if there was a major problem with a scope it would rear its ugly head at some point in taking animals out to 400ish yards. Does that mean I never check to make sure my rifle is still zeroed on target, of course not.
So, what you are saying is that asking for a scope that does not have the reticle shift by one MOA between shots is pole vaulting over mouse turds for hunters?

Dobermann

WKR
Don't take disagreements so serious.
Interesting. I mostly observe Form taking disagreements seriously and then engaging in robust conversations.

What I'm guessing is he, like many of us here, take umbrage at is ad hominem attacks, straw man arguments, inductive reasoning fallacies, post hoc ergo propter hoc arguments, irrelevancy, and falsehoods.

And people who throw out a false argument, get called on it, and then claim that wasn't what they meant after all.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Not certain, but I think “pole vaulting over mouse turds” is referring to dramatically overdoing something, ie a 1 to 2moa shift being inconsequential for many (most?) people, in the scope of the distances they shoot and hunt, and the lack of rigor they use to zero and check zero. To those folks a 1moa shift is less than the typical error in their zero and its therefore highly doubtful they could even tell whether it shifted or not, and it wont generally matter anyway inside 200 yards where the vast majority of game is shot.

I only noticed my own scopes losing zero after I started shooting more and trying to be methodical about shooting better and more consistently. Some folks dont care, and it works. No denying that. Id look forward to reading some objective, well conducted and well-cataloged tests of these by others. Im not aware of anyone doing this pass or fail, even with a milder eval than used here. Heck, I’d love to see someone drop the gun onto their plush couch from 3’ a couple times and check zero after. Anything to add a little objectivity.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Not certain, but I think “pole vaulting over mouse turds” is referring to dramatically overdoing something, ie a 1 to 2moa shift being inconsequential for many (most?) people, in the scope of the distances they shoot and hunt, and the lack of rigor they use to zero and check zero. To those folks a 1moa shift is less than the typical error in their zero and its therefore highly doubtful they could even tell whether it shifted or not, and it wont generally matter anyway inside 200 yards where the vast majority of game is shot.

I only noticed my own scopes losing zero after I started shooting more and trying to be methodical about shooting better and more consistently. Some folks dont care, and it works. No denying that. Id look forward to reading some objective, well conducted and well-cataloged tests of these by others. Im not aware of anyone doing this pass or fail, even with a milder eval than used here. Heck, I’d love to see someone drop the gun onto their plush couch from 3’ a couple times and check zero after. Anything to add a little objectivity.

But then again, it is possible these people know what they're doing and their scopes actually do hold zero.

Macintosh

WKR
Although what I see hunters doing in general says otherwise, that’s possible. Like I said, 3 of my 4 failed, so I know what I think the odds are. Also know what you think. Its other folks who are wondering about making a purchase that might appreciate objectivity.

JGRaider

WKR
How many hunters do you see? I saw about 170 or so in our camps over the years. I'm not talking about Leupold specifically. I'm talking about any scope that a hunter is using. I only use one Leupy.

JGRaider

WKR
Yes, I am sure that would apply to some for sure. And, if I'm being perfectly honest I wouldn't be able to tell a shift of 1/4 moa with a lot of my rifles, probably really only have one that i shoot well enough to notice a 1/4 moa shift in zero. One of my lightweight rifles I honestly may not be able to tell a shift of 1/2 moa. But if as many leupold scopes lost zero by as much as 4 moa as many on here have stated it would be pretty hard for anyone not to notice that.
At least your honest about it Jolley. Not many people can detect 1/4 MOA shift in spite of what they claim on the 'net.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA fixed 6x at $219 on sale has entered the chat.
Fixed 6 is absolutely preposterous for 95% of hunting. 99% of hunters should be using a 1-6 or 2-7 at the MOST. FOV is easily among the most critical of factors for a hunting scope. I'm am not talking a target scope. I'm talking a hunting scope in field conditions

atmat

WKR
Why in the world do you feel the need to go there?
This is @JGRaider schtick. In almost every thread, he brings up: COVID vaccine, Form no longer hanging out in other forums, his trusty Leupold, and/or Africa. Then he’ll sprinkle in some extreme exaggeration of what you said, combined with ignoring any question you ask. Rinse and repeat.

Fixed 6 is absolutely preposterous for 95% of hunting. 99% of hunters should be using a 1-6 or 2-7 at the MOST. FOV is easily among the most critical of factors for a hunting scope. I'm am not talking a target scope. I'm talking a hunting scope in field conditions
Huh? Dude there’s a lot of us killing a lot of animals with a fixed 6x. I had one on my 223 for a long time. I currently keep one on my 22LR and it’s a blast on squirrels.

I hunted with various 6x scopes for the better part of 15 years. Did a lot of killing and general shooting with them, too. Still have a few SWFA 6x in service. In addition to western hunts, I also used them for stand hunting heavily timbered areas in the northern Great Lakes areas. A 6X is obviously not the best tool for fast shots at moving game in heavy cover, but just the same, I have used them for some very close shots and it hasn't been an issue. They're a better all around scope than some give them credit for.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
This is @JGRaider schtick. In almost every thread, he brings up: COVID vaccine, Form no longer hanging out in other forums, his trusty Leupold, and/or Africa. Then he’ll sprinkle in some extreme exaggeration of what you said, combined with ignoring any question you ask. Rinse and repeat.

Huh? Dude there’s a lot of us killing a lot of animals with a fixed 6x. I had one on my 223 for a long time. I currently keep one on my 22LR and it’s a blast on squirrels.
Fixed 6 is perfectly fine for squirrel hunting. It's an awful choice for big game hunting. Deer are quick animals. A 6x choice is awful for a deer who comes bounding along through mtn laurel or scrub oak at less than 30 yards away who is under no obligation to stop for you to make a shot. He's moving along looking for a doe or on a doe and you're trying to get him or find him with that small of a FOV. Bad situation to be in.
I hunted with various 6x scopes for the better part of 15 years. Did a lot of killing and general shooting with them, too. Still have a few SWFA 6x in service. In addition to western hunts, I also used them for stand hunting heavily timbered areas in the northern Great Lakes areas. A 6X is obviously not the best tool for fast shots at moving game in heavy cover, but just the same, I have used them for some very close shots and it hasn't been an issue. They're a better all around scope than some give them credit for.
Pretty much same response to you. Field conditions often doesn't allow you to hear your game coming along allowing the upper hand. He just appears right there in front of you in thick timber and it's now or never. I could never possibly recommend a 6x scope in that situation to anyone. Maybe a fixed 3 power.

fwafwow

WKR
Fixed 6 is perfectly fine for squirrel hunting. It's an awful choice for big game hunting. Deer are quick animals. A 6x choice is awful for a deer who comes bounding along through mtn laurel or scrub oak at less than 30 yards away who is under no obligation to stop for you to make a shot. He's moving along looking for a doe or on a doe and you're trying to get him or find him with that small of a FOV. Bad situation to be in.

Pretty much same response to you. Field conditions often doesn't allow you to hear your game coming along allowing the upper hand. He just appears right there in front of you in thick timber and it's now or never. I could never possibly recommend a 6x scope in that situation to anyone. Maybe a fixed 3 power.
Fwiw this was hashed out in another thread. There’s plenty of FOV in a 6x even at close range.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Fwiw this was hashed out in another thread. There’s plenty of FOV in a 6x even at close range.
I couldn't possibly disgree more. 6x puts you in the ballpark of just 9-16ft FOV at 50 yards. So you're gonna attempt to shoot a bounding whitetail through thick timber or an elk for that matter with just that small of view? Nope that's insanity and couldn't recommend to someone I hate.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
I couldn't possibly agree more. 6x puts you in the ballpark of just 9-16ft FOV at 50 yards. So you're gonna attempt to shoot a bounding whitetail through thick timber or an elk for that matter with just that small of view? Nope that's insanity and couldn't recommend to someone I hate.
As was said above, moving game complicates things, but plenty of people are using 6x for hunting. And even 10x - but not me personally.

Post in thread '10x SWFA for hunting?'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/10x-swfa-for-hunting.328927/post-3288893