Has anyone done a drop test on Leupold Vx5hd?

EdP

WKR
To the OP, for what it’s worth, I tried to make that scope work. It lasted less than 100 rounds before failing catastrophically. So yea, I’d say the horror stories are true.
To me that sounds like a quality issue with a single scope rather than an insufficiently robust design affecting the entire scope line. I think the OPs question is targeted at design. Catastrophic failure with less than 100 shots is still a horror story, especially if it happens on a hunt.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I too have had a Vx6 shit the bed several days before a big hunt. Wouldn't dial correctly, wouldn't return to zero. Sent back and Leupold rebuilt it. At my local gun range, they have seen several as well. They had two of the new Mark 5's fail last week. It's a real thing and happens more frequently than you think. Not everyone is on the internet talking about them.

nobody

WKR
To me that sounds like a quality issue with a single scope rather than an insufficiently robust design affecting the entire scope line. I think the OPs question is targeted at design. Catastrophic failure with less than 100 shots is still a horror story, especially if it happens on a hunt.
First one died in less than 100 rounds. Prior to that it did the typical “leupold shuffle” and took 5-ever to site in. The warranty replacement did the same “leupold shuffle” and would wander inside a 2 moa circle once it was finally sighted in. Couple that with lots of other personal leupold scope failures and I’ve since purged my collection of all gold rings and sleep better at night. My personal failure rate of leupold scopes is higher than I’ve experienced with vortex, and I don’t own a scope from either brand anymore.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Or you can stop listening to .01% of all users of Leopold optics on this forum and go kill game and not worry about it.
This is my intent. My curiosity has me wondering where all the murmurings come from about “ L” being an inferior option.

Ucsdryder

WKR
you mean the “best warranty you’ll never need?” Still bitter about my rangefinder crapping out right after the warranty expired and then telling me to kick rocks. Not sure where their “best warranty” claim comes from. Their warranty sucks.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Not to get too far off topic but, @Jfjfrye what load did you go with for your 300WSM?
Im going to be testing h4350,h4381sc adg brass fed 215s
eldx 200gr
Eldm 208gr
.030 jump on all the testing rounds.
Right around 61.5 grains of powder.
5 shots groups with each bullet and each powder then I’ll go from there.

Bluumoon

WKR
You should read my Maven rs1.2 thread and learn from it. Use a soft surface underneath your drop mat. Either I really suck at shooting, the rs1.2 is really solid, or I got really lucky.
I concure with HighUintas. We provided a couple "how not to drop test" and the Mavens survived. I would suggest to err on the side of extra padding up front. I personally had to go back and verify the rifle/ring setup was good to go. IE use known quality rings, degrease and torque everything to suggested specs, etc. That is to say, even if you have a "failure" w the Leupold, I would suggest it doesn't mean much unless you have proofed the rifle/system w a known scope.

Use enough the right drop surface and I don't think you'll have any concerns about doing the drops.

Not only did mine fail to pass the unintentional “drop test” its now headed back because it wont hold zero

Tom-D

FNG
I once went on a 4 day trip shooting pigs ,roos and foxes spotlighting with a mate that brought a brand new vx6 hd ( the very first trip with it). By the end of the 3rd day the scope was completely useless every shot from his 220 swift knocked it off probably 4 moa. Tried re-mounting and everything but it was just busted. This is only driving around paddocks with it next to your leg in the front seat or in your lap.

I once went on a 4 day trip shooting pigs ,roos and foxes spotlighting with a mate that brought a brand new vx6 hd ( the very first trip with it). By the end of the 3rd day the scope was completely useless every shot from his 220 swift knocked it off probably 4 moa. Tried re-mounting and everything but it was just busted. This is only driving around paddocks with it next to your leg in the front seat or in your lap.
I know a guy who took his scope off and tried to shoot down the barrel like a shotgun on a bedded buck that wouldn’t budge after a lot of shooting… it didn’t work, but may be worth practicing if you decide on a leupold

I bet 100 rounds shooting down the barrel, you could make it work inside 50😏

That’s a true story btw, which makes it funnier. I recommended next time, leave the rings on and use them like a peep sight, and made sure he knew I was kidding

JGRaider

WKR
Can anyone point me to a thread talking about leupold Vx5hd and why they are not reliable and any posts about drop testing on this scope….. the search bar has left me with no success.
Wondering if you usually let other people tell you if your scope/equipment works correctly?

Dixie

FNG
Got three vx5 HD's. packed one all season mounted on my 300 ultra mag and killed two elk at 450+ with Barnes 190eldx for what that is worth. Checked zero at the end of season at it was still on.

Dixie

FNG
Got three vx5 HD's. packed one all season mounted on my 300 ultra mag and killed two elk at 450+ with Barnes 190eldx for what that is worth. Checked zero at the end of season at it was still on.
Yea that's back country on stock also... not riding in a truck