Votes: 8 47.1%
  • ARE REVO CX

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
I was quoted 3300 for the RSI without the window recently. There are threads on here about them but the general complaints are the door latch mechanism freezing up and the tiny windows provide poor ventilation if you have dogs or camp back there in warm weather.

The door latch issue is well documented and they've yet to update the designs as far as I know.

Personally the features in fiberglass toppers such as auto lock and bigger windows drove me that route.

If RSI got a little more modern I'd go that route for my next one.
mind me asking where you got that quote from? I’d be all over it at that price.

Tbone26

FNG
Just installed a diamondback switchback on my one ton and my intent is to be able to pull a 5th wheel also. Install went well and seems to be a good product.

TSAMP

WKR
mind me asking where you got that quote from? I’d be all over it at that price.
Local leer dealer in Iowa is a reseller. Although I just pulled the quote and it was 3900 with 300 installation.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
My one reservation has been their price hikes this past year. At some point I want to draw the line. $4,500 on a truck cap is a bit ridiculous. The truck costs enough as it is.
Totally - they offer a lot but holy cow that’s getting up there.

These are USA made and also extremely well built (ie even better quality than RSI) but much more limited in distribution. For a pure “topper” the rsi offers more, but if you’re doing an aluminum cap with minimal windows, GFC has a lot going for them. Again not cheap. But for made in USA, billet cnc machined parts, and light weight these offer more “value” for the $.

Seth

WKR
Retrax was mentioned earlier; I put one on my Tundra and love it! Very durable, secure, and I have a set of Yakima bars on top to carry bikes while pulling my camper.

mlob1one

WKR
I also run an ARE mx on my 6.5' bed. I'll never look back. The versatility is exceptional.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Diamondback for my truck. I’ve had a few times where I wish I didn’t have it on…hauling hay or furniture in the bed. Outside of that, it works great for me. It gives me peace of mind when on trips…I know nobody can just bust in easily and take gear.

My work truck has a hard tonneau cover and my personal truck has a camper shell. Hands down the camper shell is better.

My camper shell has side windows that open up and a Leer locker. That my hunting stuff stays in. The bed also has a bedrug. It's nice to camp in and easy enough to jerk out for hauling a deer. I thought about a bed drawer system but they just take up to much room in my opinion. I'd rather use a few totes and easily take them out when not needed

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, how have you liked the windows, been going back and forth between this and the adventure model with the steel side doors
I like the looks better with the windows but probably would go with the other one if I wanted the side bins (which I don't want with the drawers). I found this one used for a good discount and am very happy with it.

I dont camp in my truck so I would go diamond back so long as it provided enough clearance for my coolers. I currently an happy with my soft tonneau but would like to upgrade to a hard tonneau on my next truck. I would have sprung for one on my current truck but I wasnt sure how a tonneau vs a cap was going to work out. Now that I know it does fine for me I good spend more that $300 on a cover.

My crew cab short box Silverado is a half ton and my only vehicle. I dont haul anything but coolers , tubs and a yak in the bed. it closes over the yak but the tailgate is down with the yak hanging out off the tailgate. Other wise its covered and everything is out of site back there.

wesfromky

WKR
I got a diamondback SE for my frontier, since I couldn't sleep in it with a standard topper. Super high quality and there are some pretty cool options for adding racks, storage, etc.

wytx

WKR
Waiting for the truck to get here this morning with my Diamondback SE. Had a Leer on the old truck but not spending that amount this time around. Spouse has a Leer on his truck so we're good to go with both I think.

Buzby

WKR
I’m on my second truck with an ARE CX cap. I couldn’t imagine going back to a tonneau.

The CX is nice for its simplicity. Flat glass vs curved, is much cheaper, and easier to replace. Manual locks/latches vs electric, are more reliable. I often have a lot of valuable stuff back there, having a broken window or latch is not ideal during a trip. My cap can be repaired with a trip to a hardware store, or local glass shop, instead of waiting on OEM parts. The sliding/screened “windoors” are a must have. I haven’t had any leaking issues either.

Those RSI caps are nice, and well made. But cost 2x (and aren’t even paint matched). I’d rather save the difference for tags, or a pair of swaros or something.

Attachments

• IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7150.jpeg
    IMG_7150.jpeg
    590.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0197.jpeg
    IMG_0197.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 17

ShakeDown

WKR
I went from a F150 with a DBack to a F250 with Decked + Topper and I wouldn’t go back.

First off sleeping in the 6 3/4 bed is a game changer for quick scouting trips.

All recovery gear stays tucked away in decked system, which also provides a full flat bed without tire wells.

Packing up camp is a breeze with a topper, you can shove stuff in without fear of anything flying away, and with a slightly larger semblance of security.

I would only change to Windoors for side access, but I love the look of the big glass on my topper.

If I need to haul anything big, I pull a trailer.

My preference are tonneau covers. Have had camper shells in the past, never have left them on long or ended up selling them.

The days of sleeping in the back of the truck have come and gone...

Archery22

FNG
Diamondback covers are made about 3 miles from house, great product and good guys to deal with. I didn't like the folded top, my friends have them some like them and some don't. I went with UnderCover, water tight and very light wt. and strong.