Handgun in Vehicle While Traveling

Carr5vols

WKR
I went to buy another handgun today and realized my carry permit is expired. Some states laws are not clear on handguns in vehicles. Any LEO know about Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. I know Georgia and Tennessee laws. And figured out Colorado. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
New Mexico is open carry, but concealed carry requires a permit. Not sure how that applies to non residents?

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Thanks for input just trying to understand all the law changes and the way they read is not in layman terms.

Dbguinn

FNG
If all else fails you can ship your firearm from a Dealer to your local Dealer.

Yarak

WKR
Currently Alabama does require a CCP while in your vehicle or carrying concealed but come January 1 2023 a permit will no longer be required
I will still purchase one for reciprocity reasons

It's not illegal unless you get caught. It's also not really illegal because all gun control laws are unconstitutional.

I haven't seen any serious consequences of a gang banger gets caught with a gun they aren't allowed to have.
Damn, I guess all those people who get slapped with brutal prison sentences on gun charges must be corn-fed suburban dads. :unsure:

The only think I would add is to check and see if some Federal Transportation might apply. I thought there was a rule about transporting a loaded firearm in your vehicle.

edit - I was curious so I googled this up today. This has gotten folks in trouble on some East Coast states. You would have to read and see if it applies to your situation "
Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 aka “The Peaceable Journey Law”
This act allows a person to transport a firearm through states in which he or she does not hold a valid permit, as long as he or she may lawfully carry (whether by permit, constitutional carry, etc.) in the state of origin as well as the destination. The owner of the firearm must be in transit and not stay in the state where possession would be illegal. Furthermore, the firearm must be unloaded and contained in a locked box or out of the driver’s reach, unless state law allows otherwise. It is recommended that ammunition be in a separate, preferably locked container. In some states, the drivers must pass through the state without stopping, and in others only short stops are tolerated. Consult the USCCA’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity and Gun Law Map to determine what laws apply to you for every state along your route.

The act does not allow the owner to use his or her firearm for defense during transit.

Fed Interstate 18 USC § 926A — Vehicle carry unloaded and secured
These sections of the code were intended to protect the passage of travelers (who can legally possess a firearm) to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm. The firearm must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition can be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. It is recommended that ammunition be in a separate, preferably locked container.

Last edited: