Hand Me Down Elk Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably only got one more year in my Montana elk honey hole before moving on to different states or areas. Wondering what other hunters do when the leave a hot spot...tell a newbie about it, auction it off to the highest bidder, save it just in case? It would be a shame for it to go to waste.

bz5119

FNG
I know a newbie that would appreciate someone getting him off to a good start ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
I don't leave hot spots. I love to hunt new areas but there's nothing like going back to a place that you know well.

Lost a hot spot 5 years ago due to excessive logging. They finished their project and we relearned new tricks and patterns to the elk. Now it's even better than when we started! I think of you get creative and explore even more you might be surprised at what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
c8dba682aa473fe028fa37af473e1c34.png

Hot spot for sure.

elkguide

WKR
As long as it is a "hot spot" I'm not giving it up. I try and spend a few days every year in a new area just to enjoy something new but I seem to find myself going back to some of the old haunts every year.

OP
T
Going to give it one more run, try fir a herd bull then decide. It's a perfect little spot...pack outs are usually within 2 miles and you can't get lost. Don't need GPS and really don't even need a compass. Not a very pretty spot, thick, and your always close when you see them. Nice little bow area, with little pressure.

I like new areas...I want to kill one in all the western states. Can't do that getting hung up in one area.

My experience is primarily referring to OTC archery blacktail and not elk although I feel earned knowledge of a productive hunting ground is just as valuable with any animal. For me part of the journey is scouting and learning new areas on my own. The use of my own terrain orientation, immersion / learning the ecosystem , reading the game trails , beading areas, feeding grounds, choke points, ambush sites etc. all add to my own personal satisfaction when I finally earn the kill. I enjoy all aspects from the map reading to the pack out as it all makes me a better woodsman and pretty much gets me outside in beautiful areas. I say let the area be. Why "give" your spot to anyone ? Some other hunter will eventually learn the area and get that much more out of it. I assume you have only hunted solo in said area or others are already familiar with it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That depends on how many years I have on it. It would take quite a few different seasons covering just about all the variables before I'd consider it a hot spot. I've killed dozens of elk in CO over the years, but I wouldn't necessarily consider CO a hot spot.;)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of hot spots with many meat poles within a very small area in fact two Bulls fell within yards of each other to use the same meat pole 👍Those spots will go to my grave or to a very close friend or family only. I worked to hard to find them and learn them. Each year I try to learn a new area or add to the database of knowledge that may provide an opportunity in the future. Half the fun is truly the anticipation of the upcoming season. 8 months and counting👊

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Life is always changing never know when you'll need a honey hole elsewhere as a backup.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
T
So far the area hasn't produced a big bull sighting...just a few beginners bulls. Better than not seeing anything... good spot to get your feet wet

I'm wanting to at least see an occasional monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.