Hand loaded speeds for a 30-06 and 280AI

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I agree the ramshot powders show very promising numbers for the heavy bullets. But I can not seem to find it locally here and wondering how temp stable it is

EdP

WKR
I have both a 30-06 and 280ai but will answer from a viewpoint other than velocity. For some of the game you intend to go after the heavier bullets available in 30 cal are a better option. Also, the sharp shoulder in the 280ai doesn't load as smooth as my 30-06 so follow-up shots are slower. For sheep and deer in the mtns I would pick the 280ai, for elk its a toss up, and for moose the 30-06. Are you going to keep the 30-06? When/what hunts do you want a lighter rifle? I would be inclined to take the heavier 30-06 for moose and for elk if using stock and buy a lighter 280ai if you are going to be carrying it up and down mtns.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you can get more velocity and slightly flatter trajectory out of a 280 AI. But check the ballistics tables Even though it is shooting flatter if you can make the hit with one you can with the other. What I'm saying is if you can compensate 24 inches with this one you can compensate 28 inches with that one.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have both a 30-06 and 280ai but will answer from a viewpoint other than velocity. For some of the game you intend to go after the heavier bullets available in 30 cal are a better option. Also, the sharp shoulder in the 280ai doesn't load as smooth as my 30-06 so follow-up shots are slower. For sheep and deer in the mtns I would pick the 280ai, for elk its a toss up, and for moose the 30-06. Are you going to keep the 30-06? When/what hunts do you want a lighter rifle? I would be inclined to take the heavier 30-06 for moose and for elk if using stock and buy a lighter 280ai if you are going to be carrying it up and down mtns.

Yes you can get more velocity and slightly flatter trajectory out of a 280 AI. But check the ballistics tables Even though it is shooting flatter if you can make the hit with one you can with the other. What I'm saying is if you can compensate 24 inches with this one you can compensate 28 inches with that one.
I ended up just buying another 30-06. I have a pile of nosler brass for it from factory loaded ammo and like you guys have mentioned the ballistics are very similar. I plan to dial for the longer shots so a couple more inches of drop isn't a deal breaker. The old 30-06 is pretty impressive still handloaded with some of the new high BC bullets available

Good deal, Elite. Millions of people (can't seem to find a ballpark of how many '06's have been made as sporting arms or converted) have made that same choice over the past 117 years or so.

RL22 did well for me with the '06 and 200 gr bullets. But it's not very temperature stable with respect to information available today versus 20 years ago. StaBALL 6.5 would be my go to if I was starting from scratch now.

Last edited:
I have and use both calibers. 30-06 with a 160 class bullets H4350 will put you in the 2950+- velocity window ( mine has 24in barrel). 280AI (26in) with H4831sc or R23 is my go to powders with 140-175gr projectiles. Did try h4350 and the 139lrx and it was consistent load with good velocity.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Good deal, Elite. Millions of people (can't seem to find a ballpark of how many '06's have been made as sporting arms or converted) have made that same choice over the past 117 years or so.

RL22 did well for me with the '06 and 200 gr bullets. But it's not very temperature stable with respect to information available today versus 20 years ago. StaBALL 6.5 would be my go to if I was starting from scratch now.
Do you have much experince with 6.5Staball?

Not yet on the experience with StaBALL 6.5. Picked some up recently and look forward to using it this spring in the '06 and 270 Win. I chose RL22 from good reports and manufacturers load data with heavy bullets when I used it, and will start with StaBALL 6.5 for the new loads I want to work up.

Vern400

WKR
Hey everyone. I am looking to pick up a new ultralight rifle and I have narrowed it down to a 30-06 or a 280AI. Both are running 22” barrels. I currently have a 30-06 and love it but want a higher quality rifle that is lighter for mountain hunting. I currently have over 180 pieces of nosler factory ammo once fired brass for the 30-06. This is steering me to just buy another tried and true so I am wondering what everyone can squeeze for velocity out of a 30-06 by hand loading them? I am set up to load just haven’t played with the 30-06 yet. (Need dies). Playing with the ballistics of both the 280ai pulls ahead at 400 yards and beyond.

A new Caliber would be cool but looking for opinions. Gun will be 7.4 lbs ready to hunt and used for sheep/elk/deer/moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You won't miss or fail to dispatch with good 30/06 skillfully handloaded because of the gun. A 280 won't kill em any deader. You're limiting both with a 22 inch tube and I get why. You pay for extreme power with recoil and tube life. It ain't about the gun. If you're looking at specs, 280 AI. On the other hand, having fewer calibers and having a crap load of inventory seems to make a lot of sense right now right? And personally, I think they'll both be around in 20 years even after the boomers and much of Gen X (me) are gone.

Hello,

I have a 1962 Remington 700 30-06 that I put a new 23.5” Bartlein barrel on. I have loaded the 181gr Hammer Hunters with 57grs of Reloder 17 at 2958 fps and I also loaded those same bullets with 60grs 6.5 StaBall that are around 2941fps. I’ve heard from several sources that 3000fps and faster is achievable with Reloder 26.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I have a 1962 Remington 700 30-06 that I put a new 23.5” Bartlein barrel on. I have loaded the 181gr Hammer Hunters with 57grs of Reloder 17 at 2958 fps and I also loaded those same bullets with 60grs 6.5 StaBall that are around 2941fps. I’ve heard from several sources that 3000fps and faster is achievable with Reloder 26.
I’m not a Hammer guy but I think most of the Hammer and other mono copper bullet reloaders would tell you to try a bullet weighing a little less. If you want to get the most out of the Hammer bullet line, I strongly suggest you contact Steve at Hammer on Monday. He is about as helpful with loading advice as any company owner I’ve heard of.

I’m not a Hammer guy but I think most of the Hammer and other mono copper bullet reloaders would tell you to try a bullet weighing a little less. If you want to get the most out of the Hammer bullet line, I strongly suggest you contact Steve at Hammer on Monday. He is about as helpful with loading advice as any company owner I’ve heard of.
Thanks but that is a step down in weight for me. I usually shoot 212 eld-x with 6.5 StaBall. Nearly 3000 fps with a mono is where I wanted to be and the 181’s performed right around that. I probably could go lighter and faster but it’s hard to step away from 3/8” or less with those projectiles.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks but that is a step down in weight for me. I usually shoot 212 eld-x with 6.5 StaBall. Nearly 3000 fps with a mono is where I wanted to be and the 181’s performed right around that. I probably could go lighter and faster but it’s hard to step away from 3/8” or less with those projectiles.
My only suggestion would be to call Hammer tomorrow and talk to them. The staff there seems to be very helpful and receptive to calls for advice. Steve does know his products and gives good loading advice.

Unckebob

WKR
I want to shoot only copper bullets for hunting out of my 280AI with a 20" barrel.

Does anyone have a link to reliable 280AI Load Data excluding Barnes' website? I want to shoot the 140g ttsx or the 145 LRX.

Unfortunately, the load data Barnes provides is data for powders I don't have and H4831sc. While I have H4831 powder, the max load for that powder is a compressed charge which I want to avoid.

I have H4350 and Staball 6.5 which should work if H4831 will work. I just cannot find data to support my hypothesis.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hands down the 30-06 for me. Large selection of bullets, powders and simple to reload. I lost the thrill of experimenting with different powders long ago. It's the same with bullets. I want a rifle that puts down game solidly and that I am used to. Nosler Partitions have worked very well for me for years although I may try some of these hammer bullets. I did shoot a 7mm rem for 20 plus years but just like the 30 cal.

Adipose

FNG
I have a 30-06 w/24" barrel I load with 205gr Berger EH going 2725fps using RL17. This gun impresses me every time i take it to the range, and makes me question my need for my other big magnum cartridges.

leachguy

FNG
Love my 06. I just settled on the 160 Hammer Hunter this year. 59gr of Big Game pushes it at 2960 from my 22" barrel and 1" groups. Pretty sure I'm the problem with the accuracy, not a great shot. Dropped a bull elk at 275 yds within 3 steps.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shoot 180g accubonds out of my 30-06 at 2650, that’s with an 18” barrel and a TBAC ultra 7 silencer on it. I don’t push them very hard at all.

Pretty basic load:
-180g accubond
-Winchester large rifle peimer
-lapua brass
-62g h4831