Hammer bullets

S.Clancy

WKR
I used to shoot Barnes, now shoot Hammers. Performance is much better, both velocity and wounds on game. I personally won't go below 2100 fps or so. But, I can start them at 3240 fps so can still reach out a fair bit if I need to. Kills out to 650 yds. Obviously not lead bullets performance but I've been very happy.

252to208

FNG
On the hammer website, it states they test to a minimum velocity of 1800fps. I know copper bullets tend to need more speed to expand properly but this seems a bit fast. The LRX line from barnes advertise some of their minimum expansion speeds at 1500fps. Has anyone compared expansion between the 2?
When I spoke to a ballistician at Barnes he told me he really prefers to stay around 1800fps even with the LRX for his personal hunting.

I also load the 125HHT in my 15 Y.O. granddaughter's Camilla in 6.5 WBY RPM. It is a 1-8. I spent a lot of time working on a lower recoil load for her that filled the case enough for my comfort. (H4895 did the trick) I could have bought her a milder chambering, but how would I restock it and "borrow" it later?

Those loads shoot close to an MOA. The rifle is capable of much better, but it is a compromise to get her in the field. I put a 2-8x42 scope on it for now. Her shooting limit is enforced at 150 yards until she demonstrates an interest in learning to shoot farther.

I started with a 8 MOA Winchester 94, and I remind her often! Redneck privileged at its finest.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like I'll be giving the hammers another go (I admit I still haven't regained full trust in them after the copper batch issue burned me). I was trying to work up a load for the 139LRX in my 284win but it did not like it at all, looked like a shotgun with a couple seating depths. I had a partial box of some 131hammers along and quickly worked up a load on those, 6 shots for velocity ladder, picked a charge which shot 0.9" 5 shot group @ 100yd (I had a limited number of bullets) and took it out to 440yds on steel. Solid enough for the ranges I'd use this bullet. I have a 1.1" 10shot 162eldm load worked up too for extended range needs.

I could try other loads with the 139lrx but considering how crappy they shot in this barrel I'll probably order some 132HHTs to try, I just had some of those 131s on hand in the short term.

waspocrew

WKR
The 74 gr HHT is shooting well out of my 22 CM at 3505 fps. May try it out on a doe antelope in a couple weeks if I can’t get close enough for my 300 BLK and 200 gr Makers.