Had a interesting encounter hunting tonight!

Rich M

WKR
Very cool! Awesome pictures.

I had an 8 ft encounter at first light when bow hunting last month.

Attachments

• DEB8D5AE-1CEE-4B18-8E16-BF8F1156CD97.jpeg
    DEB8D5AE-1CEE-4B18-8E16-BF8F1156CD97.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 55

xcutter

WKR
I was out trying to fill my ND whitetail buck tag tonight. When parking I noticed an owl on a post but didn't give him much attention as owls are pretty common in my area. As the night progressed he kept flying closer and closer to me and with about 15 minutes of light left he made the move and this was the end result! View attachment 345390View attachment 345391View attachment 345391View attachment 345392
Awesome pics. The one pic you cam almost see your reflection in his eyes. Cool.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome. I had one swoop in thinking I was going to be breakfast one morning in a deer stand. Almost had a heart attack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Happened to me a few weeks ago too, I though it was coming into my blind but he decided to just sit on top of it.

Not sure if it's all owl species, but I was reading about several species of owls where the hearing canals are assymmetrical on their skulls.... on purpose. along with certain curvatures of the bones in the face/head to funnel sounds to both of them. Apparently that configuration is what makes their ability to locate prey to swoop on at night be so acute. It makes sense when you see the diagrams of it. Fascinating adaptation.

I had never heard that before, but did some googling after I read that and it’s pretty fascinating! Thanks for the info!

Not to keen on seeing em, as that usually means the eCaller ad motion decoy are involved and I've heard several stories of Hawk and Owls stealing the furry toppers off MOJO's and flying far away with them.

I've not had that happen yet, but I have had a few Hawks try to bust a swoop on the topper. Seems like they quickly realize something ain't right
My brother's buddy had his rabbit fur cap snatched off his head calling coyotes.

I was out trying to fill my ND whitetail buck tag tonight. When parking I noticed an owl on a post but didn't give him much attention as owls are pretty common in my area. As the night progressed he kept flying closer and closer to me and with about 15 minutes of light left he made the move and this was the end result! View attachment 345390View attachment 345391View attachment 345391View attachment 345392
That, my friend, is incredible! To have photos of it is even better. So very cool. Congratulations on the encounter!

lif

WKR
Badass my friend. Good for you for grabbing pics. Once in a lifetime opportunity there.

Mt Al

WKR
That's nutz!!! Very cool, thanks for posting and you shall forever be known as "AJ Rich, Friend of Owls" and go get you a bunch of owl tats all over, not weird at all.

COOL!!!!

TheGDog

WKR
My brother's buddy had his rabbit fur cap snatched off his head calling coyotes.
HAd a RedTail not too long ago... fly in just over the top of the brush I was backed up against last time I was hunting for Rabbits and using my PocketPrey lil eCaller out there... cause sometimes it can draw them in via the parental instincts that kick in from hearing the sounds of a baby in distress.

It had a surprised look at it's faced when I looked up and over at him after he crested the bush coming into the scene from behind me!

TheGDog

WKR
That's nutz!!! Very cool, thanks for posting and you shall forever be known as "AJ Rich, Friend of Owls" and go get you a bunch of owl tats all over, not weird at all.

COOL!!!!
You now what? I'd go get that pic tatted on you somewhere. That's a good memory to use for that purpose I'd say!

TheGDog

WKR
Damn... you know what? This has me thinking I need to harvest the skins next time of some rabbits for wrapping about the MOJO motion decoy and the eCaller.

I was walking in to my deer stand the other morning before daylight. It’s on a bench with a deep holler over the hill. There was an owl hooting in that holler and it echoed throughout the entire holler. It was really neat. Wish I would have recorded it.

I love it. Great pictures. This is part of the reason I hunt.... Watching all the animals do their thing in their neighborhood and occasionally getting to interact with one in a manner that doesn't end with me trying to eat it haha.

Owls are awesome 👍