Guys that drive a long ways to hunt, what are your less common(but important) pieces of gear/tools you're sure to keep in the truck?

Maki35

WKR
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.
My wife’s truck works this way.
Maybe try putting a small piece of paper on the spare fob’s battery contacts to disable/ interrupt the connection. So you can store the spare key fob in the truck. (Or take the fob’s battery out and tape to the spare fob.)

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
I've got an F350 that a couple of buddies and I will be taking to WY for the first time in 6 weeks. I added a few critical components to my truck a few years ago that are ideal for this trip.
I grabbed a Warn 16.5TiS winch for cheap off market place. The relays were shot, so I upgraded it to the modern pack.
I added an onboard air system. I highly recommend it.
View attachment 756870
I added a Ham radio. However, I've never found time to go get my license. It's 1 Saturday a month and it never fails we always have something going on.

I absolutely plan to have my tire patch kit in the tool box and a tow strap. We'll have some basic hand tools. We'll have a shared e-tool with our gear for disposing of human waste and tipi, so that covers the shovel.

I've never bought a NOCO battery jumper, because I knew it would be dead the day I needed it due to just sitting over time. However, after reading this thread it occurred to me it might be a good idea to buy one for this annual trip.

I'm surprised no one said windshield scraper for ice removal. I assume that's standard for your northerners, but not so much for us in the South.

I'm bring a steel plate and spray paint for confirming zeros at elevation if we can find a secluded campsite with a good backstop / mountain side.

I'm going to bring a couple of 5 gal buckets and a little detergent to wash the base layers if we end up in the brush for over a week and don't want to head back to civilization to find a laundry mat. I'm to old for swamp ass.

Edit: I forgot to add that I added a 6X gallon Titan tank to my truck. If that’s not enough fuel we’ve seriously done something wrong.
Get a dollar store toilet plunger to agitate your laundry in the 5 gal bucket.

I like to bring my electric impact wrench and a set of deep well impact sockets for tire changing.
I haven't read through all the replies but came in to post this. I keep a high torque impact and a bottle jack/jack stand combo. Flat tires don't even cost me 5 minutes, literally.

Aside from that, way oversized NOCO jumper, good set of regular hand tools, snatch strap (the stretchy kind), shovel, and a good first aid kit.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.
One of those Mylar bags your easypass comes with to block the signal may work. Have to test it though.

Throw one in there and see if it works!

Wrap the fob in tin foil or put it in a faraday bag.

Or take the battery out of it and keep it separate.

I rented a Turo SUV and they kept the fob in the center console in a foil/ faraday pouch so it could be locked when I returned the vehicle at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have already mentioned cash, keys, and NOCO jumpers, but here's a couple I can add:

The Milwaukee M18 ecosystem is incredibly useful - between a hackzall and an impact driver, a lot of problems can get solved on the road and at camp. I've also got a charger adapter that snaps onto the battery, that I can charge electronic devices with, and plug gear into.

Also, less common things I have in the truck at all times from lessons learned the hard way:

1) JB Weld sticks. I or people I've ridden with have used it to patch both punctured fuel tanks and oil pans, far from paved roads.
2) Spare oil filter and a few quarts of oil
3) Cylume sticks for lighting, and signaling

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I carry two gallons of antifreeze and a gallon of motor oil plus all the usual tools, tires jump starter, parts and tow straps. I also have two or three mud flaps for ground cover to keep me out of the crap while working on whatever broke. I only drive about 450 miles to where I hunt. Arctic gear stays in the truck year round.

mgray

Lil-Rokslider
A roll of TP for emergencies and a pack of hand cleaner wipes. It really sucks changing a tire or bearing, then trying to clean the grime and grease off using the grass on the ditch. It ends up all over the inside of your pickup.

I carry 2 cans of the flat fixer stuff. Comes in a yellow can, and has a hose to screw onto the valve stem. I have the larger size that is for truck tires. It is a pressurized can of foam that will plug small leaks and the pressure in it will fill the tire enough to get you to a safe spot. I know it might cause problems with the internal tire sensors, but if it gets you out of a hell hole it's worth it. Tire repair folks don't care for it because the foam makes a mess on the inside of the tire.
Minor stuff, but I also fill the windshield washer system with some low temp rated washer fluid and carry a can or two of windshield ice remover spray.

Last edited:

CJohnson

WKR
I try to keep a smattering of hand tools in all my vehicles because I never know when I'll get a work call and it's easier to have 90% of what you need in the truck at all times versus driving back to the shop and grabbing a service rig. So, in addition to what's mentioned above regarding flat repair, battery jumping, etc. I also keep a 1/4" and 3/8" drive socket set, a few wrenches, a set of channellocks, needle nose pliers, and an 11-1 screwdriver handy. And some kind of dewalt or milwaukee battery powered light. If I can't fix whatever issue I'm having with that stuff, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it anyways.

NB7

WKR
Some of this stuff is in my truck all the time anyway, and some I add when I make the cross -country trip. This is right off my "Truck Stuff" list for when I'm packing:

Two tow straps (Never know when you’ll need the extra length)
2 D-shackles
2 extra ratchet straps
1 tire plug kit
1 can Fix-O-Flat
Breaker bar just in case something's being stubborn
Dewalt Cordless Impact gun (I'm with @ScreamingPotato and @High Voltage on this. I want this tire changed FAST)
Dewalt Cordless Air compressor
Glove box size jump-pack (Off Amazon but can’t remember the brand)
Jumper cables
Sockets that match my truck's wheels and the trailer if I’m towing it
Small floor jack (I hate a scissor jack)
1-2x4, 1-6x6, 1-2x8. Each about 12”-16”. These are invaluable since my truck's a little tall.
1 8x10 tarp (Great to either provide rain cover or to lay on in the mud)
3 flares
Pair of leather gloves
First aid kit
Extra headlamp
Roll paper towels
1 qt oil
Small bag of assorted hand tools (Handy in camp sometimes anyway).
WD-40, duct tape & 1 roll bailing wire
Shovel

This sounds like a ton of stuff when I list it all out, but it doesn't take up all that much room based on where I store things. The peace of mind I have with this stuff makes it all worth it.

Last edited:
This is the jack I carry. Packs a lot smaller than a floor jack.

Powerbuilt 3 Ton, Bottle Jack and Jack Stands in One, 6000 Pound All-in-One Car Lift, Heavy Duty Vehicle Unijack, 640912 https://a.co/d/fMxTm6J

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240829-203139.png
    Screenshot_20240829-203139.png
    833 KB · Views: 16