Gutless Styles

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of it probably comes down to personal preference, but can anyone recommend their favorite video demonstrating the gutless method? I've watched Paul's and Randy Newberg's videos and while the results are similar, the process is somewhat different. Paul doesn't open the back with a zipper cut but Randy (and most other versions of the gutless I've seen) do tend to open down the spine.

Assuming no cape needed, what's everyone's thoughts and favorite demo videos for gutless?

Last edited:
After propping the critter up on its elbows for good photos, it makes sense to start at the top with a dorsal cut.
Hide, backstraps, inside loins, head off, neck meat, ribs, then layover for legs. ymmv

I don’t have a favorite method or video to recommend...but I can describe a cool technique for removing the inner tenders.

About the 3rd or 4th rib from the end, cut the spine(above the top of the tenders)
Fillet off the ribs from connective tissues, and peel back the whole dinner plate section.

The tenders are neatly attached to the underside, and can now be delicately removed.

hobbes

WKR
I don't have a favorite video. I watched one a long time ago, but don't recall who.

I've always opened down the spine. It's an easy incision to make. From there it's a simple matter of folding the skin over toward the belly as I use the knife. Everything comes apart after that, same as always, they are just laying on their side.

TheCougar

WKR
Doesn’t anyone leave the skin on for quartering? If I’m not worried about spoilage, I’ll often quarter with the skin on and then remove the skin while hanging. If it’s a short pack out, I have even left the skin on until camp, then do all the skinning there. I find this keeps the meat cleaner. Obviously if you’re going to cape the animal, you can’t do this.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t have a favorite method or video to recommend...but I can describe a cool technique for removing the inner tenders.

About the 3rd or 4th rib from the end, cut the spine(above the top of the tenders)
Fillet off the ribs from connective tissues, and peel back the whole dinner plate section.

The tenders are neatly attached to the underside, and can now be delicately removed.

i effing hate getting the tenders off while pushing in its guts and trying to get a knife down in there. Wears me out everytime. Can you explain this again because I didn’t get it. Cutting the spine? Are you using a knife and working through the “knuckles”?

LostArra

WKR
Doesn’t anyone leave the skin on for quartering? If I’m not worried about spoilage, I’ll often quarter with the skin on and then remove the skin while hanging. If it’s a short pack out, I have even left the skin on until camp, then do all the skinning there. I find this keeps the meat cleaner. Obviously if you’re going to cape the animal, you can’t do this.

Fred Eichler leaves the hide on in his videos.

i effing hate getting the tenders off while pushing in its guts and trying to get a knife down in there. Wears me out everytime. Can you explain this again because I didn’t get it. Cutting the spine? Are you using a knife and working through the “knuckles”?

Apologies for not being more clear...

You need a saw, to do the ‘dinner plate’ method.

Basically you’re removing the ribs and portion of spine the tenders are attached to.

You saw through the spine, and then with knife cut away all that is holding the last few ribs onto the carcass.

You’re left with a plate sized chunk of spine and rib, that when flipped over, have the tenders perfectly attached, and ready for carful removal.

Basically you’re removing the ribs and portion of spine the tenders are attached to.

You saw through the spine, and then with knife cut away all that is holding the last few ribs onto the carcass.

You’re left with a plate sized chunk of spine and rib, that when flipped over, have the tenders perfectly attached, and ready for carful removal.

F'ing BRILLANT!!!

Gerbdog

WKR
While we’re at it, how about proof of sex? Like how big of a piece of hide do you leave and are there any special precautions? Any tricks here?
As small of a piece as you can get away with, I leave such a small tag on the cows i killed that when it gets to the processor they put their hand out and just pull it off while hanging on the meat hook. I do the same with the mule deer bucks, etc. Whatever little bit will leave it attached is what i go with. I haven't decided if I prefer leaving it on the first back quarter i take off or the 2nd back quarter i take off, its a PITA rule here in Colorado in both cases. I just watch out for the other hole back there .... i feel this discussion is going places.

LostArra

WKR
While we’re at it, how about proof of sex? Like how big of a piece of hide do you leave and are there any special precautions? Any tricks here?

I hunt cows in Wyoming. Udder goes in a zip lock bag. If I ever draw a bull tag I'll put the balls in a zip lock bag.

In Colorado just leave udder,scrotum attached to one quarter.

I hunt cows in Wyoming. Udder goes in a zip lock bag. If I ever draw a bull tag I'll put the balls in a zip lock bag.

In Colorado just leave udder,scrotum attached to one quarter.

Wrap a bag around whatever is left attached and then wrap a rubber band around the base, to separate that piece of evidence of sex, from the rest of the meat.

Ucsdryder

WKR

dang. I’m too lazy to haul a saw around. The only thing I’ve found that helps is to wait and do the tenders last. After everything is removed CAREFULLY poke a hole in the belly toward the front of the animal. It’ll relieve some of the gases and it’s slightly easier to remove the tenders.