Stone Glacier De Havilland Pant Review

Thought I would post a short review on the Stone Glacier De Havilland pant for anyone who wants to know more about it. Before I continue take my opinion for what its worth, I am no guide or professional hunter and only get out 15-25 days a year so take this for what it is. Earlier this year I picked up Stone Glaciers De Havilland pant on GoHunts gear shop. I've been a long time user of the Sitka timberlines but wanted to try something with some better ventilation and have late season capabilities in the pant as well. I used these from early spring shed season into a cold October deer hunt.​

My favorite feature is the ventilation side zips that completely open from you upper calf all the way to your lower hip. One thing with a lot of pants I have noticed is the small ventilation holes or lack thereof. I'm primarily a backpack hunter and being able to adjust the zippers mid hike depending on the temperature is a huge plus to cooling down quickly and regulating your temperature. The fit of the pant makes it unique in its own way to where you don't have to wear a belt even with a loaded down pack. It has a Velcro adjuster that can attach to the zipper allowing you to adjust the tightness or looseness to your liking

Durability is impressive as well the first trip out I sent the tip of a trekking pole into the bottom pant leg poking a hole in it. It seems once a small hole is made the fabric falls apart around the hole and it unravels over time and use. So far this is not the case the fabric has held up well and the hole has not got any larger even throughout the season of hiking with no gators on through thick brush. The DWR treatment to help repel water does well too, I would by no means call these a rain pant but I spent a entire day hiking in light rain and walking through wet brush and stayed dry, the pant was really wet by the end of the day but it had kept me dry.

The few complaints I have is that they are somewhat loud, you can definitely hear the fabric as you walk. I would not be very confident in making a very close stalk in dead silence with these on. A very small criticism I would also add is they are very hard to keep clean, they pick up any type of stain from mud, dirt, snow and black suit from burned trees (stain remover has become my best friend). This may not be a big deal to some folks but I like to keep my gear somewhat nice and clean.

Overall I have around 23 hard days into these pants in all different temperatures and conditions and have so far held up exceptionally well and plan on running them into next season. If I had to pick one piece of gear that helped make a difference this season I would choose these. In closing I only highlighted some of my favorite features about them, If you get on Stone Glaciers website they talk about other great aspects and can give you more detail, for anyone wanting a short review on the De Havillands hope this helped.

Attachments

• pant 1.jpg
    pant 1.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 79
  • pant.jpg
    pant.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 72

ID_Matt

WKR
I was not overly impressed with mine. Maybe I got the old fit, but they were super baggy and felt heavy. They soaked through fairly easily and were loud. I have since switched to the FL Corrugate foundry and been quite a bit happier

joelski

FNG
Thanks for dropping this review! I've been eyeing these for a pair of pants that has knee pads/is compatible with knee pads. Any experience with those? Also been looking at the FL Corrugate Foundry for the same reason...

OP
GetWestern
Thanks for dropping this review! I've been eyeing these for a pair of pants that has knee pads/is compatible with knee pads. Any experience with those? Also been looking at the FL Corrugate Foundry for the same reason...
No experience with the knee pads but I’m sure they would be a nice edition.

josef

FNG
If you like those you should try the lite versions. I have both and really like them. I also have the FL corrugate foundry which I like but not at much as either of the SG. Being able to open those large vent pockets from the top of bottom is a real nice feature. The straps in the side pockets to hold your phone from moving around is really nice as well.

fatlander

WKR
If they were quiet, and had a button, they’d be my favorite pants ever made. I love the zips and pocket layout. Fit is also really good, the built in belt does give me a little hesitation. If the belt breaks on a hunt, you’re hosed as there’s no button on the waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was your thoughts on these compared to the Timberlines? Did you miss the waterproof knees and seat? Warmth comparison?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve used knee pads in them ( Crye precision) quite a bit - the sleeve to hold them works great, and easy to get in/out with the massive side zips.

OP
GetWestern
What was your thoughts on these compared to the Timberlines? Did you miss the waterproof knees and seat? Warmth comparison?
I feel like the timberlines are a touch warmer but they don’t fit as nice as the DH. I just wear a thin layer underneath if I want the same warmth with the DH. Don’t miss the butt pad cause i always sit on a pad anyways.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If they were quiet, and had a button, they’d be my favorite pants ever made. I love the zips and pocket layout. Fit is also really good, the built in belt does give me a little hesitation. If the belt breaks on a hunt, you’re hosed as there’s no button on the waist.

It works really, really well with a pack belt….low profile is the way. I think if there was a serious issue with the buckle breaking (not my experience) they would have never released it that way, or it would have changed by now.

Just wearing around the no button thing can be a little odd, but walking around with a pack on, that concern goes away pretty quick.

ljalberta

WKR

But if a button breaks you’re also hosed? And I’ve had buttons rip off before. The zipper is fine and sturdy. Ultimately, if something broke on either a button or a strap, it’s easy to snip some cordage into a belt or a tie-off between the front belt loops.

I personally love the adjustable waist and built in strap. I find it more comfortable than wearing a stand alone belt under a pack.

fatlander

WKR
Alright, you boys like the belt. Sorry, but it’s just a belt. I don’t find it any more or less comfortable than Sitka’s thin nylon strap belt under the pack, and I don’t like having a single fail point right there.

I should have leaned a little heavier on the noise issue as well. They’re loud. There’s no getting around it, unless you walk purposely bow legged. Side by side with one guy wearing tiburons, one wearing attacks, and me in the dehaviland lites, it was stark.