Guthook knife?

2-Stix

WKR
Buck makes one. Very light weight. I used it once. I find it unnecessary at this point. Flip the blade, push down the guts and cut away.

Get something with the right blade and the tip won't dig in, and they just work for everything. Obviously not some ultralight thing. Seems a few guys were running the razor knifes with roofing blades in them.
20221111_183930.jpg

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I second the outdoor edge swing blade!!
Regular knife on one side and hide knife on the other. I’ve used this thing on countless animals for the last 10 years. From guiding elk hunts to personal hunts and it’s still the same as the day I bought it.

OP
R

Redwood03

FNG
Get something with the right blade and the tip won't dig in, and they just work for everything. Obviously not some ultralight thing. Seems a few guys were running the razor knifes with roofing blades in them.
View attachment 473732
Thanks for the response. I live where they make the stuff that is capped by that bottle cap in the picture!

bsnedeker

WKR
I second the outdoor edge swing blade!!
Regular knife on one side and hide knife on the other. I’ve used this thing on countless animals for the last 10 years. From guiding elk hunts to personal hunts and it’s still the same as the day I bought it.
I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad one??? This was actually the knife that made me swear off gut hooks entirely. I thought the design looked like it should cut through hide with no issues, but I found it didn't work at all on neck hide. If you're saying you guided elk hunters with one I'm now questioning my experience.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad one??? This was actually the knife that made me swear off gut hooks entirely. I thought the design looked like it should cut through hide with no issues, but I found it didn't work at all on neck hide. If you're saying you guided elk hunters with one I'm now questioning my experience.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I’ve loved mine over the years. I mean nothing is perfect when it comes to the neck hide of an elk, especially a moose, but I still use it on every animal.

+1 Outdoor Edge Pro-zip. I’ve used it on elk/moose/caribou/antelope/deer, if you know how to use a sharpening steel you can keep it razor sharp and it will glide through hide like butter. I only use it to run down the neck/spine to the hind and up the legs, and sharpen between animals.

Here is the perfect combo:
Outdoor Edge RazorPro - Double Blade Folding Hunting Knife with Replaceable Razor Blade, Gutting Blade and Camo Nylon Sheath (Orange, 6 Blades) https://a.co/d/jlnkeB4
you don't use it over the gut sack? I think that is what it is generally used for...

Outdoor Edge Razor Pro. I've done a pile of animals with that thing. I've done at least a half dozen moose since I've switched to it and I can zip from the base of the skull to the tail in about 3 swipes. Takes probably less than 30 seconds. I haven't seen an animal with a hide anywhere as thick as the top of a moose and it makes quick work. The replaceable blades are stout and stay sharp. Can do an entire moose with 2-3 blades. And that's without using a saw or axe to deal with the joints. Fantastic tool.

the havalon guthook is very effective. 2 elk and 2 deer, same blade, and mine has not bogged down. I use the talus handle so I can keep the guthook installed and still have a useable blade.

before that, I had a Buck and an outdoor edge with a guthook. those worked until they got dull, and then were really challenging to sharpen.

I've also disassembled a few animals without a guthook, and for me it's a lot easier with a guthook.

Nope, I do gutless only. Using the zipper cuts the hide from underneath and avoids cutting hair and/or digging a knife tip into the meat. I’ve nicked enough bowels as a kid to know I’m no good at the 2 finger method…that doesn’t sound right lol
I've been doing the gutless on my last couple Caribou for early hunts.
I have done both - I want to start doing the gutless without going down the spine and start on the throat.

HAHAHA, if you wouldn't have said anything I wouldn't have caught it ;)

1668455461419.png

I can’t remember how long ago I started doing it this way but I just remember being sick of being stressed out field dressing solo and having every drop of blood/fluid run down into the pocket of the attached hide by the backstraps when skinning belly up. With belly down and legs folded underneath it also creates a more stable platform. I remove the backstraps first then start working a side from the back leg forward. Another trick is I saw through the spine and pull out the tenderloins without even messing with the gut sack:
you remove backstrap then front quarter? Interesting, i'll have to try that!
I have one more shot on moose - next week we have a 'intown' Bull opener for 1 week with a bow and I'll be spending alot of spare time looking around. I'll have to give that a shot if I get one!

Interesting about the tenderloin too - so you just cut through at the pelvis and then 1 foot or so up.... that is very interesting. Just watched the video.

The pro zip is awesome. I’m going to give the hook blades for a box cutter and see how that works out. Then I’ll probably go back to the pro zip.

@K1United I like it. I just use a standard knife with a convex edge (Bark River/Cross/etc) and it zips through good but looks similar to what I do - I've only been doing it 5-6 years though so I'm still a bit messy with the hair... thats the worst. I hate picking hair off.

back to OP - no gut hook on your knife. Waste. Zip if you want it but not necessary. some of the other gut tools will work great on deer and antelope but not great on Moose or Elk (I haven't gotten an elk yet but saw the comments previously here).

TheGDog

WKR
Using your two fingers in there works really well since it creates more distance between your upside-down knife blade, and the guts. Zero chance of nicking the guts that way.

Also sometimes with the zippers you can mess up and not actually be opening them up, but instead opening up just the hide and not actually cutting thru the abdominal wall.