Guthook knife?

Redwood03

FNG
Anyone use or recommend a good lightweight guthook knife for skinning animals? I'm talking like ca guthook for cutting the hide so I can use the "gutless method" to break the animal down for packing out. Is it even worth it to have a knife with this feature? Anyone use a small folding guthook knife? Ideally I would like to find one with a thin blade so I can easily cut the meat off the bone. All the guthooks I have seen are on "skinner" style blades. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
Anyone use or recommend a good lightweight guthook knife for skinning animals? I'm talking like ca guthook for cutting the hide so I can use the "gutless method" to break the animal down for packing out. Is it even worth it to have a knife with this feature? Anyone use a small folding guthook knife? Ideally I would like to find one with a thin blade so I can easily cut the meat off the bone. All the guthooks I have seen are on "skinner" style blades. Thanks
I played around with guthooks for a while before I gave up on them. I wanted to use them stricly for hides as you describe. I had a vision in my head that I would take out the gut hook and very quickly unzipper the hide all the way down the back and legs, and then pull out my skinning knife. What I found is that the hook invariably gets clogged with hair so I end up cutting a couple inches, removing the hook, cleaning out the hair, cutting another couple inches...lather, rinse, repeat.

They work fine cutting the short hairs on the belly when being used for actually gutting the critter, but are worthless on every other part of the animal where the hair is longer and/or the hide is thicker (worthless on bull elk neck hide for example).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

NB7

WKR
Outdoor Edge Zip-Pro. I've used it to gutless method three deer and an elk and it's still razor sharp. Not the lightest I guess, but makes quick, neat work on a hide and really does act like a zipper.

Edit to add, #bsnedeker makes a good point, it did bog down just a little on the mane hairs on the back of the elk's neck, although I had no problem running down the spine, the body hide and the leg hide with it.
Also, it does mean you're carrying another knife, which if you're cutting ounces may be something you consider. for me it's worth the weight

Last edited:

Dented

WKR
I use a small folding utility knife with the hooked carpet blades. When the blade dulls, I throw it away. I can find blades anywhere, it's cheap, it's light, and if I want a larger handle I switch to a regular utility knife.

It's not high tech and it doesn't come in the latest camo fashion patterns... but it works great!

I use Robtattoo's method, but if you really want a gut-hook type thin knife, check out your local autoparts store and look for those plastic seatbelt cutters that have a razor blade in the hook part. They are super light. I saw a buddy use one. He made a small slit in the hide, it easily inserted and did it's job well. He views them as disposable and cheap.

I've done the gutless on 4 Caribou now and I don't use a guthook - the Moose hide is too thick for them and the knife manufacturer I purchase from refuses to make them anyway.

I've done 4 Caribou now Gutless and the hook wouldn't really help. When you go down the belly just go slow down a step or two and you'll be great. Alaska has a cool PDF about the Gutless method too - you can find better videos online but I did download it as I was trying to explain it to a couple guys.

1668189467652.png

OP
R

Redwood03

FNG
I played around with guthooks for a while before I gave up on them. I wanted to use them stricly for hides as you describe. I had a vision in my head that I would take out the gut hook and very quickly unzipper the hide all the way down the back and legs, and then pull out my skinning knife. What I found is that the hook invariably gets clogged with hair so I end up cutting a couple inches, removing the hook, cleaning out the hair, cutting another couple inches...lather, rinse, repeat.

They work fine cutting the short hairs on the belly when being used for actually gutting the critter, but are worthless on every other part of the animal where the hair is longer and/or the hide is thicker (worthless on bull elk neck hide for example).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
You read my mind, how you described using the guthook is how I want to. I shot a great blacktail buck on the Lost Coast, CA and it was steep country. I used the guthook blade on a havalon and it worked, but I am trying to go to a "one knife" setup for weight. I want to get away from the havalon type blades as I find them brittle an I dont like snapping them off in a animal. I also wanted the guthook for speed in cutting hide, trying to get the animal broken down before it gets too dark or the bears start watching me. Thanks for your reply.

Outdoor edge is a steal. Just cut up one of my sons deer with the new wild skin. $20 can’t be beat. And I used the gut hook to skin. Maybe it’s wrong but I can have a deer quartered in 20 minutes.

OP
R

Redwood03

FNG
I use Robtattoo's method, but if you really want a gut-hook type thin knife, check out your local autoparts store and look for those plastic seatbelt cutters that have a razor blade in the hook part. They are super light. I saw a buddy use one. He made a small slit in the hide, it easily inserted and did it's job well. He views them as disposable and cheap.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

You read my mind, how you described using the guthook is how I want to. I shot a great blacktail buck on the Lost Coast, CA and it was steep country. I used the guthook blade on a havalon and it worked, but I am trying to go to a "one knife" setup for weight. I want to get away from the havalon type blades as I find them brittle an I dont like snapping them off in a animal. I also wanted the guthook for speed in cutting hide, trying to get the animal broken down before it gets too dark or the bears start watching me. Thanks for your reply.
Yeah just skip and go to a nice hunting knife - Benchmade Saddle Mountain or something similar.

Macintosh

WKR
I have an outdoor edge knife with a “fixed folding” blade, close the blade and a pro zip comes out the other side. I thought it was a gimmick, having always used the two-finger method, but man it is fast. Its a little heavy but I really like it. Mine came as a set in a sheath with a bone saw (which I use for branches more than bone).

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I have an outdoor edge knife with a “fixed folding” blade, close the blade and a zip pro comes out the other side. I thought it was a gimmick, having always used the two-finger method, but man it is fast. Its a little heavy but I really like it. Mine came as a set in a sheath with a bone saw (which I use for branches more than bone).

My wife bought me this knife and I rolled my eyes, but a gift means something to me so I used it. Very surprised at how well it works and has held an edge on both blades.

I have a bunch of knives but it's in my kill kit.