Gun for Elk Hunting in Thick Timber

Just got back from my first elk hunt in CO unit 161. Didn't get lucky, started by setting up in a small wet grass patch surrounded by timber, heard a bunch of shots over in Buffalo Ridge area then our group spent a lot of time looking over large meadows. I realized a bit too late we probably did things in the wrong order since we saw no animals. Found signs all over the damn place though, fresh tracks, droppings, beddings. It got me thinking that if they were all hiding in the timber and we flushed one out, I don't think I could make a good shot on a moving target thru the woods with my scoped 3-15x .30-06 bolt action. Does anybody hunt elk with lever actions and what caliber? Is there a set up that would be capable at killing close up and at range (300-400 yards) like using a red dot with a magnifier? Next year I know to set up over some fields on opening day but the rest of the week I'd want something for timber hunting.

robtattoo

WKR
I've posted it before, I'll post it here & I'm absolutely sure I'll post it again in the future:

Screenshot_20241017_175401_Gallery.jpg

Rem 700 in .358win. 2-7x32 Leupold VX2 with mildot holdover reticle. 220gr Speer Hot Cor at +/-2450fps.
Inside 400yds, it's like slapping them with a train. It doesn't really matter what 'them' are.

robtattoo

WKR
Also, this rascal.

Screenshot_20241017_175916_Gallery.jpg

Rem 721 in 9.3x62 Leupold VX3i 1.5-5 shooting 285 grainers at 2420. I haven't had to take it beyond 250yds, but inside that it's like dropping a mortar on 'em. Figuratively & literally.

OP
E
Is it douchey to even build an AR for hunting? I never see them out in the field and like the look of traditional hunting rifles but couldn’t I custom build one at a proper caliber, semi auto for follow up shots, and a red dot with a magnifier in case I have to take a 300 yard shot? Just brainstorming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyogoat

WKR
I mostly carry a Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with a 1.5-6 scope for timber. Since getting a suppressor that’s changed some since that thing is life changing…
I’m pretty comfortable with the 99 to 300 which covers most timber hunts interspersed with meadows…

AKBorn

WKR
Just got back from my first elk hunt in CO unit 161. Didn't get lucky, started by setting up in a small wet grass patch surrounded by timber, heard a bunch of shots over in Buffalo Ridge area then our group spent a lot of time looking over large meadows. I realized a bit too late we probably did things in the wrong order since we saw no animals. Found signs all over the damn place though, fresh tracks, droppings, beddings. It got me thinking that if they were all hiding in the timber and we flushed one out, I don't think I could make a good shot on a moving target thru the woods with my scoped 3-15x .30-06 bolt action. Does anybody hunt elk with lever actions and what caliber? Is there a set up that would be capable at killing close up and at range (300-400 yards) like using a red dot with a magnifier? Next year I know to set up over some fields on opening day but the rest of the week I'd want something for timber hunting.
Please don't take this as possible criticism, as that is NOT how it's intended...

If this was your first elk hunt, it might be a little early in the process to start thinking about taking shots on a moving target through the woods. Very typical to have a bunch of elk moving at once, which makes picking and staying on your intended target in the trees pretty challenging. And you heard multiple shots while you were hunting...there is always a chance another hunter could be on the same group of elk from a different direction.

Could be that I'm just overly cautious, I have tried to avoid moving shots at big game whenever possible, and doubt I would venture to take a moving shot in the woods. Other people's methods may vary, and that's fine. Best of luck out there.

OP
E
Please don't take this as possible criticism, as that is NOT how it's intended...

If this was your first elk hunt, it might be a little early in the process to start thinking about taking shots on a moving target through the woods. Very typical to have a bunch of elk moving at once, which makes picking and staying on your intended target in the trees pretty challenging. And you heard multiple shots while you were hunting...there is always a chance another hunter could be on the same group of elk from a different direction.

Could be that I'm just overly cautious, I have tried to avoid moving shots at big game whenever possible, and doubt I would venture to take a moving shot in the woods. Other people's methods may vary, and that's fine. Best of luck out there.

No offense taken at all, I’m just a little butthurt after all the money spent and time invested . I just have more of a desire to get one now and am just thinking of what I can do to increase my chances. I wouldn’t be shooting at moving targets for the first shot ideally, but follow ups might have to. Guess I’m more so looking for how I can get quick target acquisition if I come across one.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your dead set that timber hunting will be your game, your gun is fine and I would look for a scope with a larger field of view. Maybe a 2x7. Keeping in mind your next opp may be 400 yds. 3x9 is often a good compromise.

While you're thinking about shooting at a moving target keep in mind that you're not hunting whitetails. Pretty much if you hit a WT with a big caliber it'll kill it & you'll find it quickly. Elk are big tough animals & you really need to put one in the boiler room if you wanna have any chance of finding it, especially in thick timber.
THE single most important detail is bullet placement, not caliber so make sure you make a good shot instead of slinging as many rounds as possible. (not insinuating that you personally would, just making the statement)

AKBorn

WKR
No offense taken at all, I’m just a little butthurt after all the money spent and time invested . I just have more of a desire to get one now and am just thinking of what I can do to increase my chances. I wouldn’t be shooting at moving targets for the first shot ideally, but follow ups might have to. Guess I’m more so looking for how I can get quick target acquisition if I come across one.

Roger that. Here are a few things I did at the range