Guided hunt from a camper?

NorseNW

FNG
I wasn't sure how else to title this one. I'm hoping someone has some experience or suggestions to help narrow my search. I'm looking for a guided or semi-guided hunt (ID, MT, WY, CO etc....) for elk or mule deer. The setup is the part I'm not sure how to find. I prefer to travel in my truck camper with my wife and dog. I was hoping to find somewhere that I could base out of the camper, provide my own meals and hunt from there. Anyone done this or seen this type of setup somewhere they are willing to share?

Jim

gman82001

WKR
I’ve seen guides picking up antelope hunters at a hotel in Casper Wyo every morning and dropping them back off in the evening when I was up at a conference so I’d say call around I bet it’s not that unusual.

Huntndog

FNG
I am going to do it this fall for elk in Ruidoso NM. We’re pulling a 34’ travel trailer. With my wife going it makes the 24 hour drive much easier and if I get an elk I can put it in coolers and drive home. Outfitter had no problem with it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We did a hunt like this with two older gentleman who wanted to kill elk in Idaho. It was actually really fun.

We setup their camper in a designated parking area near some trails, and then took ATVs up the two track roads until signs said no more motor vehicles. Hunted each day as all day hunts and back to trailer each night.

Very different, but a very fun trip!

Weldor

WKR
I know some in AZ. Call outfitters about spike camp hunting, they are usually by a road and good parking area.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've done this with a couple of outfitters. Both basing out of a hotel, and from my own camp. Can cut a thou or so off the hunt cost. Compass West has hunts with this option. Several others do as well, you may just have to ask if it's not part of the package on the internet, or their advertising.

Jeremy

That's just the difference between hiring an outfitter and hiring a hunting guide.

The three times I've been out with hired help, it was a hunting guide. Stayed in hotel 2x and went to dinner in town together (Whataburger for the win, sort of). Third case, I was in a forest service campground in a tent, eating freeze dried styrofoam, and the guide had a 135-ft long camper trailer and horses. None of these hunts had the option of a backcountry basecamp. One of the hotel hunts could have been based out of FS campground and saved 10 minutes of driving, so not much of an advantage.